• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

Agreed and on watching this I'm even more convinced Stead was the unluckiest player coming out of this match not to be picked in NSW 1s (though i havent seen anything of ISA's Freeman this year, so can't fairly compare them)

46 players are chosen for the two Schoolboy teams.

Players like Stead and Cornish will still be in with a good chance, particularly if NSW2 perform well.

Last year the Qld2 scrum half was selected in the Schoolboys team over the Qld1 half, so anything can happen.

S

sidelineview

Some other examples from 2016, IIRC, Rory Suttor (Shore) and Matthew McTaggart (Joeys) made Australian Schools from GPS 2 and NSW 2.

And would both of them have made it had NSW2 not made the Final and played so well?
Would they have made the Barbarians under different circumstances or not made either team.
And what's the easier Pool to be drawn in? You dont know that until later.

There's a lot of wouldas couldas and shouldas thrown around after the event.

It depends how the cards fall during the week, but considering the demanding schedule of games, physical fitness helps, especially for the forwards and inside backs.
Players with big motors get noticed.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Some other examples from 2016, IIRC, Rory Suttor (Shore) and Matthew McTaggart (Joeys) made Australian Schools from GPS 2 and NSW 2.

Then you have Dan Matthew played NSW II last year and did not make Schoolboys or Barbarians.

This year playing Gen Blue U20 and gains selection for Australian U20 in the Oceania comp.

Getting a start anywhere in this tournament will put boys on the radar.

NSW II looking like a very strong team again.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
WLF, I would cheerfully ban you for your bad spelling, but there are others more tolerant than I.

Geeze Snort, whaaat do you mean?

I will blame the keyboard!

Anyway Trinity v Waves game approaches!

By chance do you know who won your Trinity 14as game v Knox 14as, should have been a solid game?

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
What's happened to WLF?

Hasn't been seen since before CAS v GPS game.

Thought he would have had a field day with that one.

Hope he's ok.

Maybe he's maxed out on number of posts you can make before an avatar is required and he has morphed (again) into another profile.

Hi Rich_E,

I tend to comment more on what I think the future could be rather than individual games BUT I was at the GPS/CAS game.

My view was similar to SLV and yours.
The defence by the CAS team in the first half was very solid.
Had the Geeps scored well who knows, but they didn't.
I also thought Billy Smith looked really good, so deserved his NSW1 spot.

The difference in the end was the opportunistic/brilliance of some of the Waverley boys, stuff that can't be coached.
There was clearly some very strong forward play by Stead, Rheimer, and the Wave boys, but throughout this season it has been these flashes of brilliance that have put most of the Waves opponents to bed very quickly.

Same happened the other night, I think we scored 4 tries in no time, and they weren't stereotype tries.

It will be interesting to see how both NSW teams go against QLD etc.
If they go well you would expect a strong representation in the Aussie team, ie politics aside.

First phase

Allen Oxlade (6)
After watching the video have to agree with above comments. Best CAS forwards (scrummaging aside) were 7Stead 8Cornish 1Wright and 4Moretti. Best GPS were 5Mwilliams 8Harris and 2Loh. Out of these 7, 5 are in NSW 2's. Go figure. Load up on NSW2's for a win I would say particularly with 2 Xfaxctors in 15 Hayward and 11 Burgess in the backs.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
After watching the video have to agree with above comments. Best CAS forwards (scrummaging aside) were 7Stead 8Cornish 1Wright and 4Moretti. Best GPS were 5Mwilliams 8Harris and 2Loh. Out of these 7, 5 are in NSW 2's. Go figure. Load up on NSW2's for a win I would say particularly with 2 Xfaxctors in 15 Hayward and 11 Burgess in the backs.

If the Burgess referred to is Jayden, Killara HS, he is very quick and a hard man. A great runner with the ball. Played Lindfield A grade for some years on the wing with Charlie Rorke playing no 8 in the same team.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
The difference in the end was the opportunistic/brilliance of some of the Waverley boys, stuff that can't be coached.

Totally agree Waverley's rugby has been so entertaining in 2017 ... high risk, and stuff that won't always come off, and could blow up badly on a bad day... although wish the Wobblies could go back to this free-wheeling approach

I am looking forward to school games being back on ... find it hard to get excited about the Rep rugby .. just not the passion.

I really think Waverley rugby is getting it very right ... and a lot of blokes that deserve credit ... from the 1st coaches, to the Director of sport, who isn't afraid to referee the 13Fs, and John McCoy ... what a great bloke

and then you have the new Headmaster, and people like Brother Murphy is the background

hope this purple patch continues and it shores up numbers and interest outside of the A teams

having said that positive stuff, worried that at Aloys and Cranbrook the signs are worrying

At Brook, it is really just the 16As holding the hope together .. and in the interests of CAS, it is important these schools have a good year ... was so disappointed that Jude Gibbs left for Joeys

And I hope some quality blokes (old Cranbrookians) start putting their hands up ... where is the next Marty Pitt ... Rat?!

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Totally agree Waverley's rugby has been so entertaining in 2017 . high risk, and stuff that won't always come off, and could blow up badly on a bad day. although wish the Wobblies could go back to this free-wheeling approach

I am looking forward to school games being back on . find it hard to get excited about the Rep rugby .. just not the passion.

I really think Waverley rugby is getting it very right . and a lot of blokes that deserve credit . from the 1st coaches, to the Director of sport, who isn't afraid to referee the 13Fs, and John McCoy . what a great bloke

and then you have the new Headmaster, and people like Brother Murphy is the background

hope this purple patch continues and it shores up numbers and interest outside of the A teams

having said that positive stuff, worried that at Aloys and Cranbrook the signs are worrying

At Brook, it is really just the 16As holding the hope together .. and in the interests of CAS, it is important these schools have a good year . was so disappointed that Jude Gibbs left for Joeys

And I hope some quality blokes (old Cranbrookians) start putting their hands up . where is the next Marty Pitt . Rat?!

SDW,

Being on the inside I can assure you your observations are correct at Wavcol, on all the levels mentioned, and I guess it this backbone that each school needs to be consistently competitive.

My view is that next year our 1sts will be strong, the year after maybe not, but after that our 14s/13s/preps 12s are very strong, so over the next 5 years we will have 4 very competitive Open teams, barring injury.

I too am concerned about Aloys and Cranbrook, but I have heard some fathers at Cranbrook, some I know well, are fed up with the status quo, as I would be.

Hopefully watch this space as these guys ""some old boys" have the clout to make things happen, hope so!

S

sidelineview

The passion was certainly evident on Tues night and surrounding the excellent CAS win. Looking forward to the Nationals next week. They were shown via live streaming last year.

It will be interesting how the coach uses Finn Wright and his replacement players. I'd like to see him on the field towards the end of each half when the opposition players are tired. He's a powerful runner of the ball and can be punishing in defence. Used wisely he can be a match winner.

Was it Bell who played 15 for GPS against CAS? And has been selected as 13 for NSW2?

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Geeze Snort, whaaat do you mean?

I will blame the keyboard!

Anyway Trinity v Waves game approaches!

By chance do you know who won your Trinity 14as game v Knox 14as, should have been a solid game?

Knox 14A's beat Trinity 29-0

Short Ball

Allen Oxlade (6)
The passion was certainly evident on Tues night and surrounding the excellent CAS win. Looking forward to the Nationals next week. They were shown via live streaming last year.

It will be interesting how the coach uses Finn Wright and his replacement players. I'd like to see him on the field towards the end of each half when the opposition players are tired. He's a powerful runner of the ball and can be punishing in defence. Used wisely he can be a match winner.

Was it Bell who played 15 for GPS against CAS? And has been selected as 13 for NSW2?

Bell has played virtually everywhere in the outside backs for View this season. Currently he's the starting 13, but GPS seemed to have him at fullback. I wouldn't be surprised if he shifts around throughout Nationals.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Knox 14A's beat Trinity 29-0

Thanks axel WOW,

The Trinity side looked very strong at the preseason 7s comp, but clearly it isn't the same as 15 per side.

Last year this Trinity side was very strong in the 2nd game Waves played against them, interesting, were they short of some top players or were Knox simply too good?

I suspect we may be at the same game in the last round of the year.True?

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Thanks axel WOW,

The Trinity side looked very strong at the preseason 7s comp, but clearly it isn't the same as 15 per side.

Last year this Trinity side was very strong in the 2nd game Waves played against them, interesting, were they short of some top players or were Knox simply too good?

I suspect we may be at the same game in the last round of the year.True?
Hi WLF, not sure if Trinity were down a few players...seemed to be most of the same boys from last year. They were strongish in the forwards...not much chop in the backs. The Knox team is a better team this year IMO, theyre quite big and not trying to play with as much structure.
I think your suspicions might be correct.........hopefully both teams are undefeated for the last game. See you there...........

S

sidelineview

Bell has played virtually everywhere in the outside backs for View this season. Currently he's the starting 13, but GPS seemed to have him at fullback. I wouldn't be surprised if he shifts around throughout Nationals.

He's a very good player. Competitive, aggressive and can tackle.

Wright also has excellent ball skills for a big man and has the ability to offload in traffic so i hope he's used wisely by the coach.

rollin_maul

Peter Burge (5)
Hopefully Wright can channel his immense passion positively. The spray he gave a few GPS players last week was a tad OTT and would have been heard in Hornsby.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Then you have Dan Matthew played NSW II last year and did not make Schoolboys or Barbarians.

This year playing Gen Blue U20 and gains selection for Australian U20 in the Oceania comp.

Getting a start anywhere in this tournament will put boys on the radar.

NSW II looking like a very strong team again.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

Think you will find Dan played Baa Baas last year

S

sidelineview

Hopefully Wright can channel his immense passion positively. The spray he gave a few GPS players last week was a tad OTT and would have been heard in Hornsby.

A tad ... ? Did it upset the GPS players or are you the only one crying about it?

The same players may be in the same team next week and will end up mates. Most players worth their salt think that what happens on the field stays on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.