• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

J Dog Fenton

Peter Burge (5)
J Dog,

I am a Waverley old boy, 3rd generation,my boys are 4th, so I have also been very strict about sideline comments over the years.
Today I was in the middle of the young old boys, and told them to pipe down a few times.
But.
I think you are over reacting, I heard nothing, other then banter - which happens at most schools, so please do not try and side track the fact that this team, and their supporters, were 1 of the most superb attacking teams we have seen for a long while.

I also applaud the Knox boys and their supporters who stayed behind and clapped a rather special team.
Oh mate i completely agree with you, waverley put on a show all around the park today, and it was great to watch. But the things said on the sideline that you may not have heard were poor. I was also over there as a team less spectator and thought the game was awesome to watch. atmosphere was great, but i am saying this from an outsides point of view and i really did think that some of the comments made to the 16/17/18 year olds on the field were taken too far.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
*Move along, folks. If someone has a serious problem with things done / said - they should take it up with the school. This is not the place.
Further posts alleging what may or may not have been said will be nixed.*

Old schooled

Frank Nicholson (4)
After today's game it was heartening to see adversaries show mutual respect for each other. Witnessing Wright and Frost acknowledge each other as each of the teams left the field show the mutual respect they have for each other.
It was a magnificent game and the best team one.
The Waverley superstar backline was overshadowed by the dominant Waverley forwards.They did a demolition job on the Knox forwards, before half time the Knox forwards were almost at a standstill after a massive defensive effort.

Scrumtimeisfuntime

Frank Row (1)
Aloys vs trinity should have resulted in a draw, with the trinity 10's conversion missing by a good few metres but being called as going over to give Trinity the win

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Oh mate i completely agree with you, waverley put on a show all around the park today, and it was great to watch. But the things said on the sideline that you may not have heard were poor. I was also over there as a team less spectator and thought the game was awesome to watch. atmosphere was great, but i am saying this from an outsides point of view and i really did think that some of the comments made to the 16/17/18 year olds on the field were taken too far.

Fair enough J Dog, but the game was the winner and the Waverley team was pretty special.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
What were the similarities/differences as between today's Knox and waves match and the Waves/ barker match? Any thoughts? What were the differences in play as between Knox and barker in dealing with the Waverley backline?

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Fantastic game ... Waverley really just had too many stars in 2017.

Joel Ellis man of the match ... pinched how many line-outs?! Jumping at 2. Or more accurately being launched.

And sniped a try in first try and then solo effort in 2nd half.

Plus he is such a mild mannered , humble kid

Other that that ... Cornish was everywhere ... and the Donaldson/hardaker show was razzle dazzle

Bell amazing at 9 and wright a wrecking ball

Just too good... altgh Knox almost got a sniff. Moretti game on for 5 minutes, and got yellow carded ... and in that period Knox showed immense heart to try and fight their way into the contest

Rugby was the winner and Knox should be proud of efforts ... 15 had some razzle dazzle ..and frost true champion... maybe things didnt go his way today ... but he is destined for higher honours

Ballboy

Chris McKivat (8)
Great day congratulations to Waverley, Knox seemed to loose their way a little when waves took a couple of Knox lineouts early , Knox were dangerous when in waves 22 but had little good ball and kicking game did not seem to read the wind properly,(who does at DV) second half Knox brave but waves forwards set the platform and waves backs cut them to pieces. Schoolboy football of this calibre is terrific and if I lived in Sydney I would go to more matches . Go Waverley!!

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
And new Waverley headmaster... what a gem .. at the end of the game he was trying to make sure no disrespect was paid to the brave Knox team

He is going to be a cracking headmaster ... he already is ... in my books.

Reactions: WLF

Aloys2k18

Frank Row (1)
Well done to Waverley, easily the best side this year and showed in results.

No bias in the name but i think Aloys are a really good chance next year, with a strong 16's and a few year 11's returning i think 2018 will be Aloys best shot at the Henry Plume Shield.

My predicted Aloys side

2. Spalding
3. Ienco
4. Brennan
7. Ryan
8. Rahme
9. Di Sano
10. Westbury
11. Kellegher
12. Spalding
13. Branagan
14. Fogarty
15. Pollack

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
What were the similarities/differences as between today's Knox and waves match and the Waves/ barker match? Any thoughts? What were the differences in play as between Knox and barker in dealing with the Waverley backline?

Has,

No 1. The guys behind the scenes, who are often overlooked, in this case the Waves 2 coaches. These 2 gentleman are absolutely superb.
They worked out exactly how to nullify the Knox obvious line out strength, in fact we won some of their line outs.
They also learnt from your Barker game, the Waves pack today was generally way more mobile and the front row, with Finn W, won a few against the feed, and I think Finn generally scares the s... out of most opponents, bit like his uncle Owen Finnegan.

No.2 I also think that home ground advantage is real and our backs were superb. The 3 Knox tries were pick n drive, 2 of which was when Moretti was in the sin bin, he actually only played about 10 mins in the 2nd half.
As we pretty much had the game won, the coaches gave a lot of the 2nd boys a chance in the 1sts.

The Waves forwards won the day but Ben Donaldson was superb as usual as was his entire back line, they were too polished.

Up_the_guts

Frank Row (1)
Well done to Waverley, easily the best side this year and showed in results.

No bias in the name but i think Aloys are a really good chance next year, with a strong 16's and a few year 11's returning i think 2018 will be Aloys best shot at the Henry Plume Shield.

My predicted Aloys side

2. Spalding

3. Ienco

4. Ryan

5. Sullivan

7. Rahme

8. ?

9. Di Sano

10. Westbury

11. Kellegher

12. Spalding

13. Branagan

14. Fogarty

15. Pollack

I agree that aloys will be a force to be reckoned with next year. However,
just a few this:
1- Ryan is obviously going to play 7 after a very strong year this year.
2- Sullivan is in year 12 so he is out.
3- Max Brennan will play 4, as he has done this year.
4- Rahme will play 8
5- Pollack will play 10 and Westbury at 15.

Aloys2k18

Frank Row (1)
I
I agree that aloys will be a force to be reckoned with next year. However,
just a few this:
1- Ryan is obviously going to play 7 after a very strong year this year.
2- Sullivan is in year 12 so he is out.
3- Max Brennan will play 4, as he has done this year.
4- Rahme will play 8
5- Pollack will play 10 and Westbury at 15.
forgot about Brennan, i'll add him in.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Has,

No 1. The guys behind the scenes, who are often overlooked, in this case the Waves 2 coaches. These 2 gentleman are absolutely superb.
They worked out exactly how to nullify the Knox obvious line out strength, in fact we won some of their line outs.
They also learnt from your Barker game, the Waves pack today was generally way more mobile and the front row, with Finn W, won a few against the feed, and I think Finn generally scares the s. out of most opponents, bit like his uncle Owen Finnegan.

No.2 I also think that home ground advantage is real and our backs were superb. The 3 Knox tries were pick n drive, 2 of which was when Moretti was in the sin bin, he actually only played about 10 mins in the 2nd half.
As we pretty much had the game won, the coaches gave a lot of the 2nd boys a chance in the 1sts.

The Waves forwards won the day but Ben Donaldson was superb as usual as was his entire back line, they were too polished.
Hey thanks WLF for responding. The Barker match today was predictable but lots of backline running which was enjoyable to watch. Cranbrook fought hard but Barker were plainly a handful for them. I had an old boy mate over from the States who enjoyed the game. Looking forward to a tight competition next year and more posting on the CAS 2018 thread

james777

Bob McCowan (2)
Haven't seen a bigger crowd at QP - given the importance of the day, the multiple old boys' reunions and the beautiful weather there was plenty of support for Waverley. The old boys in particular, having arrived in droves 10 minutes before kick-off after rolling down the hill from the Robin Hood hotel were very willing to offer suggestions as to how the Knox hooker could improve his lineout throwing.
Waverley were primed for the game and played smart rugby in the first half, denying Knox the ball for long periods of time then flinging it out the backs. Knox tackled manfully but four tries to one was a fair indication of the half. In the second half Knox got a lot more ball and got it back to 26-17 at one stage but again the 47-17 end result was a fair indication. Knox's three tries were of the forward rumble/pick and drive variety, whereas Waverley played their ensemble game to good effect.
The weight of expectation on the shoulders of the Waverley players was obvious as a few shed tears after they won in emphatic fashion and were mobbed by the rapturous crowd. Knox manfully skirted the rushing crowd and stood dutifully to the side to allow the Double V to escape the crowd, and then shake hands with each other. There was a great deal of obvious mutual respect.
This was a special Waverley 1st XV and it was nice to see that they won with flair in front of a big and appreciative crowd. And with the 13A winning 70-0 against knox to take the CAS title and the 14A also having an undefeated CAS season the post-2017 dip may only be temporary.
I did wonder for a moment how the highly paid full-time rugby administration at Knox feel about Death Valley after ending up 3rd in the Henry Plume Shield and losing 1sts-4ths. But I didn't dwell on it.

what an amazing performance from Waves. The Knox boys were really neer in the hunt. Some big name players missing in action when they needed them to stand up. Poor choices from the no 10 with probably one of his worst games of the year. Standout for Knox would be Frost as to be expected. Waves way too classy in the backs and the forwards
Well done to the boys from the East

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Hey thanks WLF for responding. The Barker match today was predictable but lots of backline running which was enjoyable to watch. Cranbrook fought hard but Barker were plainly a handful for them. I had an old boy mate over from the States who enjoyed the game. Looking forward to a tight competition next year and more posting on the CAS 2018 thread

Yes Has,

Until we meet again next year, it will be another big one.

Relax over the summer period unless CAS cricket is on your agenda.

Over and out buddy!

Runawayprop

Frank Nicholson (4)
Horrific ? Gee they breed 'em tough up Warrawee way by the sounds of it.

seriously it wasnt that bad. Old boys just enjoying the moment when Knox seriously underimpresses aside from the big fella frost. Lots of reputations were left in tatters from Knox - esp given the investment they have made.

Stories from boys about selections which are bizarre, players dropped and elevated week to week, i dont know. Seems as though its all a little too overengineered

What a poor set of choices from the No 10 who seemed to miss the mark on most things today

anyway well done to the Waverly - they seriously dominated everywhere

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
what an amazing performance from Waves. The Knox boys were really neer in the hunt. Some big name players missing in action when they needed them to stand up. Poor choices from the no 10 with probably one of his worst games of the year. Standout for Knox would be Frost as to be expected. Waves way too classy in the backs and the forwards
Well done to the boys from the East

james777,

Nice comments and appreciated.

No team wins every year, which is good, what is also good is the build up and vibe, and the binds all these boys form, forever!

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
seriously it wasnt that bad. Old boys just enjoying the moment when Knox seriously underimpresses aside from the big fella frost. Lots of reputations were left in tatters from Knox - esp given the investment they have made.

Stories from boys about selections which are bizarre, players dropped and elevated week to week, i dont know. Seems as though its all a little too overengineered

What a poor set of choices from the No 10 who seemed to miss the mark on most things today

anyway well done to the Waverly - they seriously dominated everywhere

Frost and Pav tried their hearts out today, as did many others, so I don't think anyone should be singled out from the Knox team.

As we have seen all year, and against the GPS schools, this Waves team has that special something that can win a match in 10 minutes, like CAS v GPS.

Today it was present again, and how good is running school boy rugby, WOW its the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.