• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

CAS Rugby 2023

Eyes Up Footy

Allen Oxlade (6)
FT at Hordern. Cranbrook win 47 - 12. Should’ve been 60+ with all the missed conversions. Much better performance from Cranbrook this week.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
Cranbrook 47-12 Kinross
9 tries -2
Need a goal kicker - 8 missed conversions.
Cranbrook are big enough with some pace and skill but a bit loose at times. Solid performance
Kinross were very tough and tackled ferociously. Well drilled side but outmuscled generally.
looking at the other results against St pats and Augs - could be a close season.

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
I know waves has always had strong depth and it’s no different this year but with all these injuries is it getting to the point where people who shouldn’t be playing 1st are getting the opportunity? Almost becoming dangerous having these boys play 1st XV

WLF3

Watty Friend (18)
I know waves has always had strong depth and it’s no different this year but with all these injuries is it getting to the point where people who shouldn’t be playing 1st are getting the opportunity? Almost becoming dangerous having these boys play 1st XV
Agree H,

Today the 16as had 7 out, 2 through injury 5 playing the top grades, so the 16as got thumped which under normal circumstances would not happen.
Our 1sts had it's hooker playing prop, and it's flanker playing hooker with1 genuine 1s prop, the other is injured, the 2 props in the 2nds were also both out.

You are spot on re the dangers of playing boys up who aren't suitable for the 1s, that's why the team had to move some boys around into different positions, as they are 1s players, but it is just not the same.

Hopefully next week, the Waves will get a few 1sts back which will help all teams.
Today they lost by 1 penalty goal with 10 mins to go (right in front I might add!).

Bring on the next few weeks!

Bob McCowan (2)
24-21 Oakhill over Waverly. Looks like not all the CAS sides getting up today. Genuinely absurd regarding the injury numbers.
That's a solid effort from the Waves, considering the amount of talent that's unavailable due to injury.

Also, got to give Oakhill some credit. That's a solid rugby program that they are developing over there.

Union on Top

Peter Burge (5)
Takeaways from the Cranbrook Game:

Standouts were Noah Jackson (8), Cam McKenzie (6), Jack Rose (5) and the 2, not too sure what his name is. Jackson is an excellent player, I think he has CAS 1 locked in, same as McKenzie.

There were too many errors and loose passes, but the forward back look dominant and so does the defence. I think there may need to be a few changes in the backline as it doesnt look fluid. The centre combo is great. I think maybe a change at full back is needed, as the kid playing 15 made a few too many mistakes and miss tackles leading to tries, but he does have an excellent kicking game. I thought the 14 was good, but 11 shoudlnt be a winger, I think he should be put to 10 or 15 as he looks to be an excellent playmaker. Does anyone know why they stuck him on the wing?

The kid who came on in the last few minutes at wing is a big boy, surprised he’s not in the 1s, as the backline could use the size. The kid at 7 is undersized but his work rate makes up for that; he’s got good ball handling, is a work horse and make every tackle. Apparently, Rose (5) is filling in for injury; unless the kid who’s injured is an amazing player, I don’t see how he can be dropped. Excellent tackler and excellent over the ball.

That pretty much sums everything up. Good side, with enough size in the forward pack. The backs are shaky though. See them coming 3rd or 4th (most likely 3rd over Waverly) but if the backs sort it out, they could push Barker for 2nd

megarugbyman

Frank Nicholson (4)
FT. Cranbrook wins 47-12 against Kinross.

My MOTM definitely went to MacKenzie (6) who scored 5 tries for his team. Key take from this game is that Cranbrook need themselves a goalkicker! Allen (10), Crowther (15), and MacKenzie (6) were the teams alternating goal kickers for the game, and together, they missed 8 total conversions which is a bit embarrassing if you want to compete for the CAS title. Though, this was a much better Cranbrook side compared to the one that ran out against St Pats, I think the team is starting to gel together. The CAS 2023 competition should be a very entertaining season with the likes of Barker, Knox, Waverly and Cranbrook (no disrespect to Trinity or St Aloysius).