• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

Moey

Frank Row (1)
Anyone know much about the St Pats lineup this year other than standouts, Alex Conti and Mitch Woods?

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
You are indeed a lawyer!

If you approach the bench the distinction to be made here is that this is just footy talk, and in most cases here, dominant means territorial and ball retention dominance. Yes probably no/minimal points were scored but put simply, 1 side looked better than the other for a period!

Eagerly await the defense!
Makes sense, WLF - but then people can say "dominated possession" or "dominated territory". That way we know what's meant! So, to take my example of the Uni/Randwick game, I wouldn't say Uni "dominated" Randwick in the first 20: I'd say that they monopolised possession and territory, yet weren't good enough to score (and I'm a University supporter).

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Makes sense, WLF - but then people can say "dominated possession" or "dominated territory". That way we know what's meant! So, to take my example of the Uni/Randwick game, I wouldn't say Uni "dominated" Randwick in the first 20: I'd say that they monopolised possession and territory, yet weren't good enough to score (and I'm a University supporter).

read-comments-michael-jackson.gif

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Touche Snort. It's a hung jury!

Ziggy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hi Snort!

I watched the New v Waves game last sat, a few observations.

1. Newington well deserved to win, they are a polished side and very fit. Whilst early days, I think they will definitely be a threat in the GPS comp.

2. Waves did have 2 key forwards and 2 key backs out, the backline had a number of year 11 boys in fly half and the centres, the Newington backline was terrific and won that battle. The Waves forwards dominated the 1st 10-15 mins and could easily have scored a couple of tries but didn't and Newington snagged a great backline try almost against the run of play. A few of the Waves forwards were clearly not match fit, as they did not go on the Japan tour and as the game progressed the New forwards came into their own.

3. We will see if the boys missing last week join the team this week v View, and if so, I would expect a far stronger performance.
Given that View only lost by a couple of tries v a strong Barker side last weekend then I think it's safe to assume View will be hard to beat at
View this Sat.

All will be revealed after this Thursdays training.

Also, unlike last Sat, the weather forecast is excellent so it should allow all schools to show their full potential.
Reports from Death Valley is that there is Alot of yelling by coaches at training today.

Looks like their number 2 and captain in a moon boot.

Moey

Frank Row (1)
Reports from Death Valley is that there is Alot of yelling by coaches at training today.

Looks like their number 2 and captain in a moon boot.
Looking like a tough season ahead for waverley, leaves the comp very open.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Schedule and predictions for the upcoming week of trials?
Cranbrook plays St Patrick's at Strathfield, I think - I'm expecting a win for Cranbrook. Last week St Pats drew 17-17 with Trinity (who had a red card against them, I understand, and played much of the game with 14) - and I think Cranbrook are a touch stronger than Trinity.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Cranbrook plays St Patrick's at Strathfield, I think - I'm expecting a win for Cranbrook. Last week St Pats drew 17-17 with Trinity (who had a red card against them, I understand, and played much of the game with 14) - and I think Cranbrook are a touch stronger than Trinity.
Also St Aloysius v St Stanislaus and I think Waverley v Riverview.

scrumhead99

Sydney Middleton (9)
Agreed. I think after the Auggies game Cranbrook will need to change some things, and they will be looking for a win.

On another note here are my tips for the weekend:
View to beat Wav, 21-7
Knox to beat Shore, 35-5
Barker to beat New, 10-7
Stannies to beat Aloys in the wooden spoon matchup, a high scoring affair, 28-27
Trinity to beat Gregs, 50-28

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Having just seen the View v Waves Rugby fixtures for this Sat, they are quite upsetting.

Other than each individual A age group View will be pitching lower teams against all the Waves Opens and age groups, eg the Waves 2s v View 3rds, Waves 3rds v View 5ths, and in the age groups it's Waves bs v Views cs and so on.

What a joke and a potential waste of time, as I predict View will get toweled up in each mismatch, and no one wins in that scenario.
The reason is that View have chosen to also play St Gregs, and maybe some other schools throughout the day.
That would be fine in much lower grades but not where like grades are available.

eg the Waves 14bs beat Newington 14bs 50-0 last Sat, and I can't imagine the New bs are too bad, I believe the Waves age group is strong,.
I have a nephew in the View 14bs and we have chosen not to tell him!

If anyone can justify this disgrace I am keen to hear, these trials are supposed to provide a pre season format that tests all comparable schools prior to their own comp, this fails that test miserably imo.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
WLF, it's a fair point but I do feel sorry for the sportsmasters who need to juggle fixtures to get everyone a game. I assume that this happens because Riverview has more teams than Waverley, but perhaps not. Some schools who have E teams seem to end up playing their Joeys counterparts six times a season.

As for Newington's Bs, I'm not quite as sure as you that they would be strong. For quite some time now Newington has relied on having 15 very good players in its Opens, and not a lot else!

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
WLF, it's a fair point but I do feel sorry for the sportsmasters who need to juggle fixtures to get everyone a game. I assume that this happens because Riverview has more teams than Waverley, but perhaps not. Some schools who have E teams seem to end up playing their Joeys counterparts six times a season.

As for Newington's Bs, I'm not quite as sure as you that they would be strong. For quite some time now Newington has relied on having 15 very good players in its Opens, and not a lot else!
Snort, Yes I have heard all that before and I did say that it would be fine where a school has more teams in an age group, then the fs can play some other school. However if any school has 5/6 teams in an age group I believe it is essential that these teams get matched up.

Furthermore, without trying to bang on too much, the Waves are nearly always very strong in the age groups, and again this year.
So it makes no sense and is a waste of time imo. No winners here!

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Snort, Yes I have heard all that before and I did say that it would be fine where a school has more teams in an age group, then the fs can play some other school. However if any school has 5/6 teams in an age group I believe it is essential that these teams get matched up.

Furthermore, without trying to bang on too much, the Waves are nearly always very strong in the age groups, and again this year.
So it makes no sense and is a waste of time imo. No winners here!
It's an impossible situation, for example - Joeys D's will often beat another schools B's, not always but often. Other weeks they will get smashed. So it's fair to say they'd rather test themselves against their D counterparts but they'd also rather play and get smashed than not play at all.