• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
100% Agree
Don't pay too much attention to the Waves vs New result as Waves had a few players out and a full strength Waves vs A Full strength New would be an more even contest.
I love these completely 1 sided comparisons. Newington have also been experimenting (and lost their star scrum half Koby Owen due to an ACL injury earlier this year), the same way any school does in trial matches. Injuries or not, Waverly got out classed by a talented and well drilled side. The trial match between Newington and Knox a week before will tell you the same thing.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
I love these completely 1 sided comparisons. Newington have also been experimenting (and lost their star scrum half Koby Owen due to an ACL injury earlier this year), the same way any school does in trial matches. Injuries or not, Waverly got out classed by a talented and well drilled side. The trial match between Newington and Knox a week before will tell you the same thing.
100% Newington were better on the weekend and won deservedly.

Injuries have impacted the Waverley team to a pretty huge degree though.

This weekend Waverley will be missing 5 genuine players from their 1st XV forward pack and 3 genuine backs(including the centre pairing from last year) and a fringe winger.

And it’s not as though they have lost no ones. It’s all the rep players/returning first XV players that are out. They will be a different team if they get them all back by CAS, but they’re 2nd XV in particular this weekend will be particularly weak, it’s almost lucky they are playing view thirds.

Last edited:

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
Pfffft “hell” … the Dudes Literally in the wallaby squad not even a year out of school

Yes. He's FANTASTIC. Incredible. I love him. One of our only bright spots...

But Barker had that bloke in the doldrums. He barely broke a tackle.

Joeys weren't beating Barker.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
True … the GPS could offer membership to a new school…. Let’s see how quickly the “merged-competition”… “good for the game” brigade go radio silent if that suddenly became a possibility for one of them

If you really think the GPS is just a collection of the most superior schools in Sydney anymore boy do I have news for you...

It is not as prestigious as it once was.

CAS Fanatic

Peter Burge (5)
Predictions for the weekend:

View v Waves: view 5+
Knox v Shore: knox 12+
New v Barker: barker 5+
Pats v Brook: brook 10+
Aloys v Stannies: stannies 20+
Trinity v Pius: trinity 15+

Last edited:

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
Is this what has become of the CAS system? You have allowed already sporting scholarships, created an arms race for the best talent you can lure from leagues club and domestic rep teams and then you think your rugby program is designed purely for entertaining the great unwashed masses and creating financial incentive for kids who should be studying. No thank you. Schoolboy is a for school boys NOT semi professional players and those who wish to create empires.

Finally, AAGPS and CAS do play one another in a match that pits the best of each.
Last year was...

View attachment 15853
I’m sorry scholarships are offered to boys who wouldn’t otherwise be able to attend private schools it’s absolutely disgusting. Helping others is something shouldn’t be a key foundation of schooling

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
100% Newington were better on the weekend and won deservedly.

Injuries have impacted the Waverley team to a pretty huge degree though.

This weekend Waverley will be missing 5 genuine players from their 1st XV forward pack and 3 genuine backs(including the centre pairing from last year) and a fringe winger.

And it’s not as though they have lost no ones. It’s all the rep players/returning first XV players that are out. They will be a different team if they get them all back by CAS, but they’re 2nd XV in particular this weekend will be particularly weak, it’s almost lucky they are playing view thirds.
Do you have a predicted waverly side for this week and who’s returning?

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
I’m sorry scholarships are offered to boys who wouldn’t otherwise be able to attend private schools it’s absolutely disgusting. Helping others is something shouldn’t be a key foundation of schooling
Sorry, you guys should stop this smoke screen of Holier than though ( and I am not religious).
In most cases Rugby Scholarships are offered for 1 purpose, and 1 purpose only, to win the comp.

If we need to be honest these boys who come in very late, typically aren't ATAR boys, they may do the ATAR but that's probably because they have been told to, a few may be different. What you seem to conveniently miss is the MASSIVE collateral damage that this does to boys who have been at the school for many years, been in the As or Bs (so trained their arses off) just to get bumped at the last most important turn (devastating). Also if you assume the boys who have been at a school for years have parents who are automatically loaded that is often NOT the case, the truth is they work hard to do it.

BTW, my view of a strong Rugby school is it's performance and depth across the ages, not just the1sts, everyone can see through that one.

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
Sorry, you guys should stop this smoke screen of Holier than though ( and I am not religious).
In most cases Rugby Scholarships are offered for 1 purpose, and 1 purpose only, to win the comp.

If we need to be honest these boys who come in very late, typically aren't ATAR boys, they may do the ATAR but that's probably because they have been told to, a few may be different. What you seem to conveniently miss is the MASSIVE collateral damage that this does to boys who have been at the school for many years, been in the As or Bs (so trained their arses off) just to get bumped at the last most important turn (devastating). Also if you assume the boys who have been at a school for years have parents who are automatically loaded that is often NOT the case, the truth is they work hard to do it.

BTW, my view of a strong Rugby school is it's performance and depth across the ages, not just the1sts, everyone can see through that one.
Scholarships aren’t approved by the heads of rugby they’re done by the schools board. I don’t think their priority is about winning comps but you make a lot of very valid points, scholarships are hard on those who get dropped down but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible to gain selection. Lots of these boys just change positions

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
Incidentally, not to talk about the actual games or anything, but I gather Trinity plays St Pius this weekend, not St Gregs.
They do indeed Snort. My error in an earlier post.

It's Pius v Trinity, to be precise (home team first)

hornsby4life

Allen Oxlade (6)
You and Hornsby4life spend your time putting crap on Joeys and the GPS comp and promoting Barker to the death. What do you expect? Do you think that everyone in the GPS will stand beside you and think, “oh, ok that’s right, we are the problem, Barker deserve to be revered as the best there ever was,,,”
Is it not snobby to send a C's team to get towelled up by a B's team 100-0? When their B's team would get smoked as well. Why would you want parents travelling all the way to sport to see their team lose 100-0 when this could be avoided?

William McIlrath

Bob McCowan (2)
Agreed. I think after the Auggies game Cranbrook will need to change some things, and they will be looking for a win.

On another note here are my tips for the weekend:
View to beat Wav, 21-7
Knox to beat Shore, 35-5
Barker to beat New, 10-7
Stannies to beat Aloys in the wooden spoon matchup, a high scoring affair, 28-27
Trinity to beat Gregs, 50-28
I find it thought provoking how close you propose the barker vs New game- this will be fascinating.

With regards Knox I feel an obliteration coming on.

Aloys vs Stannies is 50/50 I reckon, can I get some thoughts from everyone else on this matchup?

I find it thought provoking how close you propose the barker vs New game- this will be fascinating.

With regards Knox I feel an obliteration coming on.

Aloys vs Stannies is 50/50 I reckon, can I get some thoughts from everyone else on this matchup?
Hi Woodville,

Re your Aloys vs Stannies comments, I've heard huge things pending from Aloys and would love to see them get a couple more wins going into CAS. My prediction is a tight game with Aloys coming through the winner at the end.

I also agree with your comments about Knox.

Best of luck to all the CAS boys.

- Doggies.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Is it not snobby to send a C's team to get towelled up by a B's team 100-0? When their B's team would get smoked as well. Why would you want parents travelling all the way to sport to see their team lose 100-0 when this could be avoided?
I think we get what you're' saying and this sort of scheduling shouldn't happen with schools like Waverly & Knox who have depth below As. View playing St Gregs on Saturday also would be the reason. Can only think the logic is View C v Wav B is potentially better than St Gregs A playing View C.

hornsby4life

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think we get what you're' saying and this sort of scheduling shouldn't happen with schools like Waverly & Knox who have depth below As. View playing St Gregs on Saturday also would be the reason. Can only think the logic is View C v Wav B is potentially better than St Gregs A playing View C.
Not really, we are talking about a team made up of Rugby League players compared to a team that won 50-0 against another GPS B's side last week.