• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
Here's how the history of GPS, CAS and ISA works: exclusion. A bunch of schools asked if they could join the GPS. They were told "no", so they formed the CAS. Then a bunch of schools asked if they could join the CAS. They were told "no" and so they formed the ISA. That's the "culture" - you're not one of us, go away. It's not something worth defending. What holds back the idea of a sensible, tiered Sydney schools Rugby competition is that the GPS schools persist in believing that they have something special that needs to be preserved to the exclusion of other schools.

I don't know if even you know just how right you are Snort.

As someone who attended a GPS school, I was SHOCKED when I left and found out just how rubbish some of the GPS schools are as schools, and how amazing some of the CAS and ISA schools are, especially for a more affordable private eduction. It is my opinion that the two best schools in NSW right now both currently reside in the CAS comp. Despite this, the culture of elitism in the GPS is still incredibly strong, something I have experienced first hand.

A lot of GPS folk will NEVER agree with what you're suggesting, and sadly it comes down to being conditioned from youth that the GPS is so far incredibly superior, and they wouldn't want to mix with inferior schools. However, this superiority does not exist.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
Watching the Barker vs Stannies game noticed in the first 5 minutes very undisciplined giving away 2 stupid penalties leading to a Stannies try. Also at 15:40 in the video clear lack of cohesion within the team with a skill issue within 10 metres of the try line. I really think they need to tighten up their game heading into the first round of CAS.
Thoughts? Ruchko out.
I’m not sure they will be too worried with Aloys as first opponents.

JohnnyOhns

Stan Wickham (3)
Only beating Stannies by 20 points is a bit too be "worried" about. Also I wouldn't write Aloys off, you never know when a 2019 Aloys Vs Waverly upset could happen again. Does anyone know if they had players out for the stannies game?
It's interesting how Barker and Cranbrook went up to stannies and only won by small margins (was expecting a much larger win for barker). I heard a lot from my son about the refereeing in the Cranbrook 1st XV game but I don't think you can blame a tight game on bad refereeing. Interesting too hear out of the barker camp if they had similar issues with the dodgy refereeing.

workingdasnipe

Peter Burge (5)
Only beating Stannies by 20 points is a bit too be "worried" about. Also I wouldn't write Aloys off, you never know when a 2019 Aloys Vs Waverly upset could happen again. Does anyone know if they had players out for the stannies game?
Aloys will not win . No chance on gods green earth!

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
Watching the Barker vs Stannies game noticed in the first 5 minutes very undisciplined giving away 2 stupid penalties leading to a Stannies try. Also at 15:40 in the video clear lack of cohesion within the team with a skill issue within 10 metres of the try line. I really think they need to tighten up their game heading into the first round of CAS.
Thoughts? Ruchko out.
I had similar thoughts with backline set piece. There was a lot of stray passes, I was willing to put it down to a new centre pairing and a young backline but there was a reliance on individual brilliance. Those opportunities will be few and far between against sides of knox and waves quality

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
It's interesting how Barker and Cranbrook went up to stannies and only won by small margins (was expecting a much larger win for barker). I heard a lot from my son about the refereeing in the Cranbrook 1st XV game but I don't think you can blame a tight game on bad refereeing. Interesting too hear out of the barker camp if they had similar issues with the dodgy refereeing.
Having a conversation with a stannies dad on the weekend. The team that played against barker and brook was vastly improved and better then the team agaknst Scott’s. They had some good players, there 15 and 3 in particular but yes you’re right the results should’ve been a lot better

Erastos Luccassen

Frank Row (1)
Just watched the Barker v Stannies from Stannies youtube and the young lads commentating on it mention that the referee is the dad of Stannies number 5 in the 1st XV so definitely can't guarantee a lack of bias. It has been mentioned before about the country refs when playing at Kinross and Stannies

JohnnyOhns

Stan Wickham (3)
Just watched the Barker v Stannies from Stannies youtube and the young lads commentating on it mention that the referee is the dad of Stannies number 5 in the 1st XV so definitely can't guarantee a lack of bias. It has been mentioned before about the country refs when playing at Kinross and Stannies
Yes there is a lot of bias which is understandable due to the lack of availability for refs in the area and all of them being hired through the school not rugby NSW. When Cranbrook was up there many of the 1sts and 2nd XV coaches reffed some of the lower age group games earlier in the day due to the lack of availability.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
Cough Cough ... Joeys
Joeys ranked 150th in the HSC in 2021 and barely broke 100th last year.

Shame they put all their time and money into a good rugby program instead of focusing on the schools performance. However with some shocking results across the board for Joeys this season maybe suggests things are about to take a turn for the schools academics.

One would hope so after such atrocious rankings.

Gotta love them for their footy though (apart from this year)
mate you might fool some here , but you’re just a troll ..

don’t insult the kids on the forum .

Secondly, it doesn’t take big brains to realise why Australia’s largest boarding school (joeys) didnt do well during 2021 … and its a credit to them how they bounced back 50 spots in one year.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
It’s not scholarships it’s the culture of the school. All these schools have the ability and means to be strong at rugby, it’s whether they choose to or not which is the difference. Look at Oakhill now smashing some CAS schools .. why ? they’ve developed a strong rugby culture.. (I see Gregs - more league traditionally- following this model)
.. look at shore a few years ago some of you would have salivated at throwing them into the abyss of a bastardised second tier comp, and now they extremely competitive with the big boys of the GPS. Again, this is due to heavily encouraged rugby culture and program .

If your school goes down to the 8ths in soccer but can’t fill a 3rds in rugby…. don’t Blame your association, look inward to solve the problem.\

Your first point is simply not true. Every school is different, with different sizes, different geographic location, different cost and different deomographic... All of which DRASTICALLY affects a schools rugby ability. Let's move with the times. Realise that schools have different goals and abilities and adapt... Because old thinking is contributing to the suffering of rugby cultures in some schools and that's blatantly obvious.

The beauty of the tier system that we have discussed is that it is fluid. Shore would have been a tier 2 team (and still probably are), but with improvement could be moved into the top tier. Plus its MUCH easier to build rugby culture when you get to play teams of your standard... It's all well and good too say Aloys should improve their program... But if I'm an Aloys boy why would I want to play rugby where I concede 50 points to Barker, Knox and Waverley, and get physically manhandled by much more athletic boys week in a and week out... That argument majorly lacks nuance.

pocockenthusiast1973

Allen Oxlade (6)
mate you might fool some here , but you’re just a troll ..

don’t insult the kids on the forum .

Secondly, it doesn’t take big brains to realise why Australia’s largest boarding school (joeys) didnt do well during 2021 … and its a credit to them how they bounced back 50 spots in one year.

Mate, I am not a troll.

For a $55k school (including boarding fees) you’d expect them to perform better academically.

Also, my “insult” is a fair dig at their performance on the field this year in comparison to other years. The team consists of some very talented players however, due to the intense competition this season in the GPS they have been experiencing some tough losses.

If you look at the HSC rankings for over the past 10 years you’d discover that the rankings are consistently poor for a school of such a high price. Have a look for yourself, you may learn that in comparison to other major NSW private schools, the academics are generally bad.

I have spoken to many parents who have had to pull their children out from the school due to bad academic performance and also a “hierarchal” like culture.

Before you assume of people as trolls, please do some research. You sound like a Joeys old boy, desperately trying to protect your school.

No hard feelings
Pocockenthusiast1973 Out!

JackJill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Your first point is simply not true. Every school is different, with different sizes, different geographic location, different cost and different deomographic... All of which DRASTICALLY affects a schools rugby ability. Let's move with the times. Realise that schools have different goals and abilities and adapt... Because old thinking is contributing to the suffering of rugby cultures in some schools and that's blatantly obvious.

The beauty of the tier system that we have discussed is that it is fluid. Shore would have been a tier 2 team (and still probably are), but with improvement could be moved into the top tier. Plus its MUCH easier to build rugby culture when you get to play teams of your standard... It's all well and good too say Aloys should improve their program... But if I'm an Aloys boy why would I want to play rugby where I concede 50 points to Barker, Knox and Waverley, and get physically manhandled by much more athletic boys week in a and week out... That argument majorly lacks nuance.
The first step would be combining with ISA. A healthier, balanced, intriguing competition where every game could go either way would contest with the AAGPS competition, possibly turning some opinions to a prospective future where all schools are ranked and have the opportunity to fluctuate between competitions depending on programs and results.

Of course, there will be hurdles, tradition, the 's' word, and other arguable topics, but in overview, it would be for the total benefit of Rugby Australia, popularising and growing the game even more.

pocockenthusiast1973

Allen Oxlade (6)
The first step would be combining with ISA. A healthier, balanced, intriguing competition where every game could go either way would contest with the AAGPS competition, possibly turning some opinions to a prospective future where all schools are ranked and have the opportunity to fluctuate between competitions depending on programs and results.

Of course, there will be hurdles, tradition, the 's' word, and other arguable topics, but in overview, it would be for the total benefit of Rugby Australia, popularising and growing the game even more.
Do it for the footy

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
My last word on the 10-round competition.... remember that when we had the home-and-away ten rounds, the team leading at the half way point never failed to win the competition. We had a couple of years where the last round decided whether the premiership was won outright or shared, but most years the winner was unbeatable by Round 7. There was never an occasion when two sides went into the last round equal on points with the prospect of the final round splitting the two. The idea that ten rounds is "close and exciting" is nice, but in practice it never really worked out that way.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
My thoughts on the tiered structure are well known. But this thought also occurs to me: it could be accompanied by a revival of the Waratah Shield, played as a knockout by any school that cares to enter. The Waratah Shield would be seeded, to avoid mismatches in the early rounds, but it would allow a strong Tier 2 team to match itself against Tier 1 sides in a meaningful competitive environment.

FoleyBealeFolau

Ward Prentice (10)
You couldn't be any more wrong Scrumhead99

Due to the sudden death competition of the CAS competition, who knows what may happen. For all we know Trinity could get some lucky wins and then be up there with Knox + Barker. I am starting to think your account is the pisstake here, not megarugbyman...

Bagging out other people in the forums is unnecessary, you sound like a troll!!!!

Waves are back in full force and will give Cranbrook a run for their money this weekend.

Pocockenthusiast1973 out!!
The winner of Cranbrook and Waverley gets a massive confidence boost going into next term with Cranbrook playing trinity next up after the show down at Death Valley. Waverley having a tough run coming up against Cranbrook then Barker there season could be over before it had even started. With Wav Col winning 38-24 and The Brook 26-14 against Auggies. the show down of the east should be one for the ages. I believe Cranbrook have not won at Queens park for 14 years so although this new found Cranbrook confidence on the forums, Waverley should still go into this game as favourites.