• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

Wolverine

Stan Wickham (3)
This is a tough one H, I know you are VERY familiar with Kye but I think it will boil down to the types of front rowers the CAS want, ie are they both tight players, or do they want a tight player an a real ball runner like Kye.

Clearly Will Goddard and Ah Colt are terrific, haven't seen Will but did see a lot of Ac v the Waves and he was a standout.

It could be that this weekends games determine the front row result. Kye will be against a very tough Barker front row and pack.
The outcome of which may determine his standing in a CAS 1s team.
Ridiculous. Get the schoolboys of the forum!
Gotta love Knox. NFI about the point of sport. Yeah they’ve probably got “scholarship” players, but Aloys at least use their own.

Famed_Star

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ah-Colt being on the bench for the 2nds side is absolutely outrageous. I am very far from being a Cranbrook supporter, but that kid is incredible. The amount of runs he takes and the sheer effort and grit he puts into every game are unmatched by any other prop I've seen in the competition this far. Honestly thought he could be up there being the best prop in the state. Very unfortunate.
Yeah, I think everyone who has seen him play agrees. A strange omission. Who knows how they select these teams. The Barker players probably influenced by the Barker coaches.

Ziggy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ah-Colt being on the bench for the 2nds side is absolutely outrageous. I am very far from being a Cranbrook supporter, but that kid is incredible. The amount of runs he takes and the sheer effort and grit he puts into every game are unmatched by any other prop I've seen in the competition this far. Honestly thought he could be up there being the best prop in the state. Very unfortunate.
100% - disgraceful decision.
Be interested to see whether or not the selectors are being guided by coaches which are predominantly made up of upper north shore rugby faculty.

Eyes Up Footy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Long story short, the selectors IMO are extremely poor.

First things first, GO THE CAS TEAMS AND ALL THE BOYS FROM ALL SCHOOLS!
Agreed WLF - as a Cranbrook man, thought it is quite outrageous that Mackenzie, Patterson, and Ah-Colt (the major omission) aren’t at least starting in the 2’s.

Whilst I am yet to see Dene play, we saw last year that playing an U16 just doesn’t work - especially at 10 (hope to be proven wrong).

As much as I hate to say it, but I think the GPS boys will win comfortably on Tuesday night. Nevertheless will be cheering on the boys in red no matter the team and result. Congratulations and good luck to all players selected.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
Niulala did make it, though out of position - second row in the 2nd XV.
Yeah that’s a really strange selection. The kid is elite and not even selected in the backrow.

The other kids are all great too, I’m not bagging any kid. There appears to be sometimes goggles on for Barker and Knox kids and they can’t be changed to see how a kid from Trinity can make the backrow.
We saw last year. Eventually there was 7 Barker forwards on in the CAS firsts team. and they were pummeled. There are other good players in other teams. Ah-Colt and Niulala if at Barker or Knox would be in CAS firsts.

Last edited:

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
The CAS selections... I do think we need to remember that for each position in the Firsts there are likely to be at least three players with realistic claims. That means that there will often be a kid who narrowly misses CAS 1sts who ends up on the bench for the 2nds. There are often fine margins involved. That's especially true for positions that aren't interchangeable, like scrum-half or hooker. If you have a great fullback who misses out, you can put him on the wing, but if you're edged out of tight-head prop you may end up benched, like Ah Colt.

And look, Ah Colt is plainly a terrific player. Cranbrook had a dominant scrum against Trinity yesterday, and he presumably had a lot to do with that. But if you want him in the CAS 1sts, you also need to say why he deserves it more than Goddard. I haven't seen Goddard this year but he anchors the scrum for the side that's 2-0 (and beat Joeys) and he was in CAS 1sts last year. I'm in no position to say that it's a mistake to select him.

On Ah Colt, I'm not knocking the kid for a second, he's great. And he got through a ton of work yesterday, and barged over for the try that put Cranbrook back in the game. But in all his carries (and there were plenty), he didn't break the defensive line once. Trinity's 3, whose name I don't recall but is, I gather, in Year 10, made four line breaks. So Ah Colt wasn't even the most effective running prop on the day.

For what it's worth, I'd be amazed if Ah Colt doesn't get a run in CAS 1sts at some point.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
By the way, does anyone know the Knox scorers yesterday? With a score line like that there may have been a record or two threatened.

handswilldoit

Bob McCowan (2)
By the way, does anyone know the Knox scorers yesterday? With a score line like that there may have been a record or two threatened.
Was pretty evenly spread, don't know the exact numbers but I don't think anyone would of gotten a record, probably didn't even come close to the Knox winger who scored 5 or 6 tries against Aloys last year from memory

Famed_Star

Allen Oxlade (6)
Have heard the Barker Prop has withdrawn from CAS.

Now Kaleb Ah-Colt will be in starting at seconds.

Last edited:

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
Nah bro, that's the second year in a row a 16 year old player from Barker has been selected at CAS 1s level over picking the best option who also happens to be 18. Absolute pisstake.

Poynton was the best option given that Saunders had played the majority of season in the centres.

Dene was also probably the best option. Best game managing 10 in the CAS.

Relax. It's not politics. Stupid to suggest a 16 year old should never be picked.

Last edited:

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Dear Cranbrook people, you have a good 1st XV this year. You should be proud of them. However, they've played two, lost two. This is not an ideal platform from which to argue that you are under-represented in the CAS sides.

schoolboyfooty

Allen Oxlade (6)
No sign of Reuben Stock in the CAS teams, any reason behind this? I doubt it would be an issue of skill.
Yes something that the CAS team is definitely going to be missing. The reason that he is not in the CAS team is an issue of safety for the GPS boys. The Wallabies believed that he should be automatically picked in the Gen Blue squad to make sure nobody else gets injured in this selection process.
Furthermore, he has been included in the Australia u20's squad visiting his homeland of South Africa where he hopefully will dominate for Australia.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
Poynton was the best option given that Saunders had played the majority of season in the centres.

Dene was also probably the best option. Best game managing 10 in the CAS.

Relax. It's not politics. Stupid to suggest a 16 year old should never be picked.
Waves seemed to target him on the weekend with good results. He dropped the ball inside the Waverley 22 3-4 times. Costing Barker valuable field position.

Hopefully he can handle the pressure of GPS 1sts especially considering Waverley aren’t ranked very highly, as shown by their CAS selections compared to other schools, yet they still managed to shut him down well.

I will highlight, I have been saying all year, picking an u16’s player is a bad choice and highlights the need for a clean out of the selectors. They have picked two of them. It’s not fair to the kids and it’s not fair to the other kids picked in CAS firsts because it will impact on the result and the result impacts on higher selections.