• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
For what it is worth Rod in that Barker game at Barker, yes Finn Wright didn't play but also didn't Luca Moretti, so a few serious omissions.
Yes. Luca was the best no 8 going around. He had a cracking game against GPS in that epic game at St Josephs. 21 nil lead at half time. 21/19 fulltime thanks to Ben Brydon taking out Josep Souali.

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
It does open up the question whether the CAS should move to a two round comp (at least if the GPS is doing that).

You then at least have a better comparison to select a team before the rep rounds.

Not good for the ISA schools, but arguably makes selections fairer.
More rounds wouldn’t help if your starting point is NFI.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
64CE45FF-546D-4051-A697-F2AF8C69FA44_1_105_c.jpeg

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
I have been quiet on the CAS selection debate deliberately as we are dealing with school kids and whether they are in or out may have very personal impacts on them. Criticism from GnG bloggers does not help.. The selectors have a tough job but their process is more robust than the arm chair selectors here on GnG. Invariably they have watched key games for all CAS schools, the majority of which were probably trials. Barker had solid trial form. Close wins over Riverview and Newington clearly assisted in clarifying selectors choices. Sadly one of the most influential players for Barker in both of those matches was Matt Hanley, Barkers Captain and No8. Injured against Newington, he is gone for the season but not without potentially influencing selectors on players around him. Young Harrison Deane at 10 outplayed his GPS rivals on the day in both games and selectors remember things like that. That said the balance looks ok in the CAS1sts. Knox are clearly the best team and deserve their 9 caps in the CAS 1sts. But they have 2 tough games remaining. They must get past Waves at Death Valley which is no easy task and then take on Barker at home in the season finale. A betting man would give similar odds for 3 scenarios to play out. Knox winning outright. Waves winning outright or a 3 way tie. Bring on term 3.
G'Day Rod, agree that boys should be completely left out of any discussions/criticisms re selections, similarly, blaming refs, Yes they make mistakes but are human and it's a thankless job, that's why they are diminishing.

Selectors on the other hand is a different issue. In defense of them, they are typically chosen, so whilst they may/may not get things right, they agree to do it, and so they have a duty to do their homework and get it as right as possible, because it does make a big difference.

Example, a mate of mine was at a Waves v Newington game way early in the year, a GPS dad, and was asking me who was who on the field, NOT his fault but REALLY! So he sees 1 game!
So I am not sure how robust their selection process really is, and of course, the political pull of the coaches. counts.

Then what happens is that teams can either get better as the season progresses or maybe worse. Waves is a classic example, not good early at all, but that was because half their team was on the sideline. Now they have beaten 2 strong CAS schools and have won their last 5 games with all players back. So based on the most current form, how does Waverley only get 2 players in the CAS 1s?
This analogy applies to any side in that position because basing positions on games over 6/7 games ago just doesn't cut it.

Furthermore, just as the GPS people will probably agree on their own front, we get it very wrong almost every year.
The process of selecting selectors needs to be better, understandably it will probably never be perfect, but way too many errors have occurred over the last few years IMO, others may disagree which is fine, but how we lost in 2021, with the talent on offer we had, was a joke.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
That 2021 year was the start of the selection chaos for the last three seasons.

They basically destroyed any chance of CAS winning a scrum all game with poor choices and had the two best scrummaging props in the seconds. Then the next year they blamed the prop they picked the year before.. and popped him in the seconds when he should have been in the firsts. And picked a 15 year old at fullback.

It really is time for new selectors.
Spot on JJ!

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Yes. Luca was the best no 8 going around. He had a cracking game against GPS in that epic game at St Josephs. 21 nil lead at half time. 21/19 fulltime thanks to Ben Brydon taking out Josep Souali.
Agree Rod, the CAS were dominant but nearly found a way to lose it, Brydons last tackle was very special.
As it turns out, he should never forget it! (and keep reminding his mates and kids!) :D

Famed_Star

Allen Oxlade (6)
I just want to use examples to highlight the selections issues.

Jonti M-F: a third year 1st XV player, best player on the ground on Saturday as voted by Barker, played CAS 2nd XV last year.

Not even listed as a shadow reserve. It is just a disrespectful decision. If the feedback is has been injured so we haven’t seen him. Go back and watch him from 2022 and 2021.

Kaleb Ah-Colt: Anniunced this afternoon at training. He has now been brought in to the starting 2nd XV as the captain. If that’s not highlighting that they have no idea what they’re doing, I don’t know what else does.

Charlie Poynton: after the opens CAS debacle last year. Charlie went to CAS u16’s last year and played for them in the wing. So he wasn’t even considered the best fullback at u16’s. But was for opens.

The CAS selection lottery continues.

There are now 9 Starting Barker players in the CAS 1’s and 2’s and 3 Waverley players. with 3 Waverley withdrawals and 1 Barker withdrawal.

So 10 Barker to 6 Waverley.

The selectors need to go back and watch the game from the weekend.

Waverley won by two tries, and if you were to pick a team between the two. There would be far more Waverley than Barker players selected based on results and the game.

Just ridiculous.

I also want to highlight, just so people are aware, coaches do have input on selections. And there are 4 Barker coaches. Hence despite losing, at home, by quite a margin, they still have a huge representation over Waverley.

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
I just want to use examples to highlight the selections issues.

Jonti M-F: a third year 1st XV player, best player on the ground on Saturday as voted by Barker, played CAS 2nd XV last year.

Not even listed as a shadow reserve. It is just a disrespectful decision. If the feedback is has been injured so we haven’t seen him. Go back and watch him from 2022 and 2021.

Kaleb Ah-Colt: Anniunced this afternoon at training. He has now been brought in to the starting 2nd XV as the captain. If that’s not highlighting that they have no idea what they’re doing, I don’t know what else does.

Charlie Poynton: after the opens CAS debacle last year. Charlie went to CAS u16’s last year and played for them in the wing. So he wasn’t even considered the best fullback at u16’s. But was for opens.

The CAS selection lottery continues.

There are now 9 Starting Barker players in the CAS 1’s and 2’s and 3 Waverley players. with 3 Waverley withdrawals and 1 Barker withdrawal.

So 10 Barker to 6 Waverley.

The selectors need to go back and watch the game from the weekend.

Waverley won by two tries, and if you were to pick a team between the two. There would be far more Waverley than Barker players selected based on results and the game.

Just ridiculous.

I also want to highlight, just so people are aware, coaches do have input on selections. And there are 4 Barker coaches. Hence despite losing, at home, by quite a margin, they still have a huge representation over Waverley.
I have zero affiliation to any CAS school but I know the 16’s age group well having been involved with it across all levels since U6’s. I’ve just glanced at the CAS under 16 team list I am quite surprised. Some of the selections are fair enough but in certain positions there are some very strange omissions. Injuries? Politics? IDK. In contrast GPS have picked the best team available. There would be some differences in the GPS team if there were no injuries but that’s footy. The results will be interesting.

footyfooty123

Bob McCowan (2)
Hello guys, I’m predicting a whooping of GPS U16 v CAS U16.

Prediction CAS by 40+ in the final

Heard the Cas 10, Josh Barr is a freak. People call him the Line Assassin.

Footyfooty123 out.

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
Hello guys, I’m predicting a whooping of GPS U16 v CAS U16.

Prediction CAS by 40+ in the final

Heard the Cas 10, Josh Barr is a freak. People call him the Line Assassin.

Footyfooty123 out.
Time will tell, I reckon an all GPS final is more likely but if it is GPS A vs CAS you might have your score prediction some what backwards.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Morning Gents, wondering who's going to the games tonight at Knox?
Yep will be there, taking a car load up.

As Joker said, at least it won't be raining as it was in 2021 which destroyed our game, along with our front row selection, but it will be freezing.

I remember the days when these teams were chosen after all the comps were finished, that way selectors got a better look and we all knew who was who.
In tonights game, like recent years, we haven't seen more than half our teams play, the GPS have an advantage here.
So I am not sure what to expect from the CAS teams except that Knox and Barker did win their GPS games this year, but a lot can change since then, as we have seen.
However, rep footy is very different than school footy.