• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Very proud of the CAS lads in both teams tonight. They were in it the entire way. GPS lads probably had more class in the backs. The Shore 9 in the 2nds game scored and set up two of their tries and probably shaded Hwi from Joeys in the GPS1sts as the best 9. In both games, GPS had probably 55% to 60% possession and that was reflected in the score board. Very impressed with the speed of Tom Far-Jones in the GPS 2nds. Credit to CAS front row in both teams. They never buckled and in the 1sts game I think the CAS probably shaded their GPS counterparts just, especial Johnathon Ryan the Knox 7. He was outstanding. 2 tries were scored by GPS1sts when CAS lost their centre to the bin for ten minutes for a lifting tackle. Also for those doubters who thought the young Barker 10 (Harrison Dean) would not cope, well he played exceptionally well and did not look out of place. He could grow into a special player. The GPS winger Tonga was very dangerous. He gets up to greased lightening pace in 3 steps and was a handful all night. all in all it was a great nights rugby. Congrats to our GPS colleagues who deserved both wins tonight.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Very proud of the CAS lads in both teams tonight. They were in it the entire way. GPS lads probably had more class in the backs. The Shore 9 in the 2nds game scored and set up two of their tries and probably shaded Hwi from Joeys in the GPS1sts as the best 9. In both games, GPS had probably 55% to 60% possession and that was reflected in the score board. Very impressed with the speed of Tom Far-Jones in the GPS 2nds. Credit to CAS front row in both teams. They never buckled and in the 1sts game I think the CAS probably shaded their GPS counterparts just, especial Johnathon Ryan the Knox 7. He was outstanding. 2 tries were scored by GPS1sts when CAS lost their centre to the bin for ten minutes for a lifting tackle. Also for those doubters who thought the young Barker 10 (Harrison Dean) would not cope, well he played exceptionally well and did not look out of place. He could grow into a special player. The GPS winger Tonga was very dangerous. He gets up to greased lightening pace in 3 steps and was a handful all night. all in all it was a great nights rugby. Congrats to our GPS colleagues who deserved both wins tonight.
Rod, I generally agree with your insight but I differ tonight.

Having watched many years of these contests I was completely underwhelmed by the level of footy tonight.
Teams from previous years would have flogged all these sides IMO.
Execution was average at best, lots of dropped balls, poor passing and poor kicks.

The 3 major standouts for me was the Shore no 9 in the 2nds, the Kings winger Tonga in the 1sts, and the Knox no 7 in the 1sts.
The GPS backs in the 1sts completely dominated the CAS 1sts, and the cover defense at critical times by the CAS backs was poor, to say the least.
2 GPS tries came from very badly missed tackles on the sideline. None of our backs played exceptionally well.
The forward contest was a much better match up.

GPS definitely deserved to win both games.

JohnnyOhns

Stan Wickham (3)
Rod, I generally agree with your insight but I differ tonight.

Having watched many years of these contests I was completely underwhelmed by the level of footy tonight.
Teams from previous years would have flogged all these sides IMO.
Execution was average at best, lots of dropped balls, poor passing and poor kicks.

The 3 major standouts for me was the Shore no 9 in the 2nds, the Kings winger Tonga in the 1sts, and the Knox no 7 in the 1sts.
The GPS backs in the 1sts completely dominated the CAS 1sts, and the cover defense at critical times by the CAS backs was poor, to say the least.
2 GPS tries came from very badly missed tackles on the sideline. None of our backs played exceptionally well.
The forward contest was a much better match up.

GPS definitely deserved to win both games.
Agreed, was expecting rugby of a higher calibre. However, I thought Ah-colt and Nuilala were outstanding in the 2nds game. Nuilala needs to sort out his discipline. Was penalised lots in the game on Saturday as well. Both were very unlucky to not be selected in the CAS 1sts.