• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
Recent news has surfaced as the linesman that overturned the refs decision from a Cranbrook penalty to a Barker try was the Barker hookers father (Keegan Daly, 2).

you can actually see in the Hudl the barker 2 is the first person to go to his own dad and ask him to talk to the referee.
Seriously this is the extent to which people will go to. No need to bring up the players name. These are school kids after all

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Think you are ahead of yourself Snort, Trinity hasn't played Waves yet.
Agree with all you just, and have previously said, but probably won't happen in the near future.
Yeah, I meant Knox not Waverley, although logically the result will probably be much the same.

FoleyBealeFolau

Ward Prentice (10)
Why are you on the Hudl?!? You must be a student at cranbrook?
Actually, Mate my son has shown me the video as he was rather upset seeing his school lose with these comedic barker antics. I can recall in 2019 with the microphone issue in which the Barker coach (Dean Hartgraves) was allegedly stood down by Barker. Barker are never shy from controversy, if these are the lows that they must stoop too, to win schoolboy rugby games so be it.

CAS_Rugby

Bob McCowan (2)
Actually, Mate my son has shown me the video as he was rather upset seeing his school lose with these comedic barker antics. I can recall in 2019 with the microphone issue in which the Barker coach (Dean Hartgraves) was allegedly stood down by Barker. Barker are never shy from controversy, if these are the lows that they must stoop too, to win schoolboy
The penalty is awarded 5 or 6 seconds before the Barker player scores over the line. So Cranbrook stop playing allowing Barker to score.

Hopefully the right thing can happen and Cranbrook will be awarded the points for the win.

My son just showed me, the video is on a rugby tik tok/snapchat page now getting traction online.

Last edited:

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
Recent news has surfaced as the linesman that overturned the refs decision from a Cranbrook penalty to a Barker try was the Barker hookers father (Keegan Daly, 2).

you can actually see in the Hudl the barker 2 is the first person to go to his own dad and ask him to talk to the referee.

For 1stXV games referees are not assigned by the school...

Not to mention we've already established linesmen can not overturn a decision of this kind (thanks Snort knowledgeable as always)...

This is dead chat. Move on.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
Actually, Mate my son has shown me the video as he was rather upset seeing his school lose with these comedic barker antics. I can recall in 2019 with the microphone issue in which the Barker coach (Dean Hartgraves) was allegedly stood down by Barker. Barker are never shy from controversy, if these are the lows that they must stoop too, to win schoolboy rugby games so be it.

There was no ear piece...

I genuinely can not believe this rumour is still floating around.

And the coach was not stood down... Because no actual cheating took place.

BarkerFan420

Frank Row (1)
Dont mate me champion

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
It's a real shame that Waverely have already secured the comp. I personally was very much hoping for a Barker vs Knox rivalry game for the shield at Knox. Nothing better than a last game of the season battle for the shield. Nonetheless, it's Barker vs Knox, so the atmosphere and rivalry will be alive regardless. Very much looking forward to that.

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
Hence merge ISA and CAS but we've already been around this merry-go-round once before. ..GPS will take much longer to consider joining, so why not take a step in the right direction?
I'd say better is playing the CAS comp fully in Term 2 (so less warm up games).
Keeps the history and allows you to better select the CAS team.

Then you reseed and bring in the better performing ISA (and ultimately maybe GPS) teams for Term 3 with some form of Combined Cup on offer. Use results from prior years to determine how many teams from each assn.

GPS obviously had no issue starting their comp much earlier this year and playing two rounds.

It's a real shame that Waverely have already secured the comp.
Never say never. If the Trinity side that beat Cranbrook shows up in the final round they could push Waverley.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
I'd say better is playing the CAS comp fully in Term 2 (so less warm up games).
Keeps the history and allows you to better select the CAS team.

Then you reseed and bring in the better performing ISA (and ultimately maybe GPS) teams for Term 3 with some form of Combined Cup on offer. Use results from prior years to determine how many teams from each assn.

GPS obviously had no issue starting their comp much earlier this year and playing two rounds.

Never say never. If the Trinity side that beat Cranbrook shows up in the final round they could push Waverley.
The teams play more warm up games than comp games.

Why do we do that? All it does is risk injury to players for no result.

Waverley were really big on not caring about warm up games this year(as shown by results) but also a lot of players played, there were rolling subs for most games, they didn’t seem to care about the results. Because they meant nothing. So why do we bother with them? Who did it help having those games?

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
The teams play more warm up games than comp games.

Why do we do that? All it does is risk injury to players for no result.

Waverley were really big on not caring about warm up games this year(as shown by results) but also a lot of players played, there were rolling subs for most games, they didn’t seem to care about the results. Because they meant nothing. So why do we bother with them? Who did it help having those games?
Well, it's schoolboy Rugby. It gives teams an opportunity to play a variety of opponents, and try out a variety of combinations, before the competition. I don't mind that.

There are two big problems with the home-and-away CAS competition. First, the impact of injuries means that towards the end of the season you got blowout scores. Secondly, it was very rarely close. Occasionally, the title was decided in about Round 8, but there wasn't a single season when the team leading at the halfway point failed to go on to win the whole thing.

The penalty is awarded 5 or 6 seconds before the Barker player scores over the line. So Cranbrook stop playing allowing Barker to score.

Hopefully the right thing can happen and Cranbrook will be awarded the points for the win.

My son just showed me, the video is on a rugby tik tok/snapchat page now getting traction online.
If you’re going to cite video evidence then post it up for all to see and then don’t embellish what happens to make your point. The ref blew the whistle as the Barker player dives for the try not 5 seconds before.

Seriously this is the extent to which people will go to. No need to bring up the players name. These are school kids after all

Seriously again if you going to state things as fact show the evidence. At no point did any Barker player approach the linesman, they all asked the referee to check with him. The referee as he did multiple times throughout the game beckoned the linesman to come to talk to him and asked if the player who scored was the the one that caught it in the lineout which he did. Therefore there was no penalty hence why he changed his call, end of, no cheating occurred

FootyCentral!

Frank Nicholson (4)
Can someone just either post the video or a link to the video please!! That way we can make our own assumptions based off the video. If not, accept the refs decision and move on. Stop complaining about something that so far has zero evidence (on this page) and move on

Mule

Peter Burge (5)
Season format idea (may well have been touted previously)….

Easter holidays and first ~3 weeks of Term 2: friendlies/trials between any schools regardless of association (up to schools to organise, some great traditional matchups like Knox V Joeys on Gala Day)

~Weeks 4-8 Term 2: CAS, CHS, ISA, CCC, AICES, GPS etc run their (~5 game) inter Association Championships - first past the post wins, with table (of weighted points for each team; eg a win in 1st XV gets 50 points, win in 13DS gets 5 points) giving a ranking for Term 3 NSW Schools Championships Cup/Plate/Bowl

Mid Year Holidays: tours and camps

Term 3: using tables from the Term 2 Association Championships, schools get seeded into 32 school NSW Schools Championships that runs over 6 weeks (home and away rights drawn out of hat each week, losers week 1 go into bowl comp, losers week 2 go into plate comp etc)

Feel we need to do something different…

james richards

Stan Wickham (3)
Can someone just either post the video or a link to the video please!! That way we can make our own assumptions based off the video. If not, accept the refs decision and move on. Stop complaining about something that so far has zero evidence (on this page) and move on
Barker v Cranbrook incident <<There is the entire incident you see the penalty being blown before the try is scored (Cranbrook had stopped with no chance at controlling the try due to the ball being dead) The Barker players harass the referee demanding that he speak to the touchie which the touchie seemed angry or agitated in his decision almost. The touchie said it was the "wrong call" which is fine but it should not have been a try because the ball was dead on play and Cranbrook stopped due to the stoppage allowing the try. Another issue is the lineout as it should have been a penalty anyway.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
Barker v Cranbrook incident <<There is the entire incident you see the penalty being blown before the try is scored (Cranbrook had stopped with no chance at controlling the try due to the ball being dead) The Barker players harass the referee demanding that he speak to the touchie which the touchie seemed angry or agitated in his decision almost. The touchie said it was the "wrong call" which is fine but it should not have been a try because the ball was dead on play and Cranbrook stopped due to the stoppage allowing the try. Another issue is the lineout as it should have been a penalty anyway.

Ref approaches linesmen (linesmen doesn't storm on to field to overturn decision after encouraged by Barker hooker like the forum made out)... asks if the jumper retained ball when maul shape forms (not an actual maul as Cranbrook doesn't join) ... Linesmen says the jumper always has the ball (which is true)... Therefore this is not an obstruction and hence SHOULD BE A TRY.

If you ask me the real issue here is that the Cranbrook 1stXV team don't adequately understand the laws of a maul... Seriously poor at 1stXV level, and should be punished for that.

Also the ball wasn't dead until the whistle was blown... And when the whistle was blown Barker player was in the process of grounding the ball. Common sense prevails.

Also not sure how the line out "should have been a penalty." Was caught on the inside shoulder (can even see that from this poor angle), and that's the only reason I can think of.

Last edited:

james richards

Stan Wickham (3)
Ref approaches linesmen (linesmen doesn't storm on to field to overturn decision after encouraged by Barker hooker like the forum made out)... asks if the jumper retained ball when maul shape forms (not an actual maul as Cranbrook doesn't join) ... Linesmen says the jumper always has the ball (which is true)... Therefore this is not an obstruction and hence SHOULD BE A TRY.

If you ask me the real issue here is that the Cranbrook 1stXV team don't adequately understand the laws of a maul... Seriously poor at 1stXV level.

Also the ball wasn't dead until the whistle was blown... And when the whistle was blown Barker player was in the process of grounding the ball. Common sense prevails.
Cranbrook never joined the maul so that in itself is a Cranbrook penalty ... Whistle was blown before the try was scored under no circumstances can that count as a try

Realistically we need an unbias opinion from someone like Snort