• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

Jonte

Bob McCowan (2)
No. Cranbrook never joined the maul BUT ball was never passed back. Therefore, an obstruction never occurred. Play on.

Hopefully the Cranbrook boys learnt something from all this.
Lets stop calling it a Maul as it wasn't, it would require a player from either team.
1. A maul can take place only in the field of play.
2. It consists of a ball carrier and at least one player from each team, bound together and on their feet. A player ripping the ball from the ball carrier must stay in contact with that player until they have transferred the ball.
Given the ref blew his whistle prior to the grounding means the play has stopped. In this instance he could have agreed he got it wrong and maybe awarded a scrum to barker.
The ref can confer with his Assistant Referees (yes thats what they are called now) however is still 'The referee is the sole judge of fact and of law during a match. The referee must apply the laws of the game fairly in every match'

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
Lets stop calling it a Maul as it wasn't, it would require a player from either team.
"Asks if the jumper retained ball when maul shape forms (not an actual maul as Cranbrook doesn't join)" - RedOrDead

I'm very aware, and covered that in my initial response to the video.

As was already stated. By the laws of the game. Yes. Should have been a scrum restart. But rugby is often criticised for a lack of common sense. Common sense prevails here. Try call was correct on that basis. Even if a scrum was awarded 5 metres out... You're probably seeing a Barker try anyways (I wish this was the case, because the whinging is ridiculous).

As I've previously stated, if you really think that Barker should be punished in this scenario because they understand the laws of the game and the Cranbrook pack / ref has no idea... I'd say that's illogical.

Last edited:

james richards

Stan Wickham (3)
"Asks if the jumper retained ball when maul shape forms (not an actual maul as Cranbrook doesn't join)" - RedOrDead

I'm very aware, and covered that in my initial response to the video.

As was already stated. By the laws of the game. Yes. Should have been a scrum restart. But rugby is often criticised for a lack of common sense. Common sense prevails here. Try call was correct on that basis. Even if a scrum was awarded 5 metres out... You're probably seeing a Barker try anyways.

As I've previously stated, if you really think that Barker should be punished in this scenario because they understand the laws of the game and the Cranbrook pack / ref has no idea... I'd say that's illogical.
"Yes. Should have been a scrum restart." common sense isnt a law unfortunately you juststates it should have been a scrum restart. if common sense was a law then sure but it isn't the law states it should've just been a scrum restart

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
"Yes. Should have been a scrum restart." common sense isnt a law unfortunately you juststates it should have been a scrum restart. if common sense was a law then sure but it isn't the law states it should've just been a scrum restart

Common sense has a place in every sport.

Whistle was blown during the process of diving for a certain try.

Even if it's a scrum 5 out, Barker probably score.

Better team won (as evidenced by only one team understanding the laws). Move on its boring.

james richards

Stan Wickham (3)
Common sense has a place in every sport.

Whistle was blown during the process of diving for a certain try.

Even if it's a scrum 5 out, Barker probably score.

Better team won (as evidenced by only one team understanding the laws). Move on its boring.
common sense does not over-ride law.

the law is the law so it shouldn't have been a try.

we can move on no worries we know it's wrong even though you stated that it should have been a try.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
common sense does not over-ride law.

the law is the law so it shouldn't have been a try.

we can move on no worries we know it's wrong even though you stated that it should have been a try.

Even in the court of law equity exists...

Whistle was blown as player is diving. There is quite literally no way the Cranbrook player stops him, he isn't even close. Play on.

And as I've stated... What you are saying is the team who didn't understand the laws should benefit because the ref also doesn't know the laws.

Additionally, even if you believe there should have been a scrum 5 metres out (which I would have preferred, now we have to deal with this), chances are Cranbrook lose.

We are going in circles. So let's leave it here.

Last edited:

Ziggy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Even in the court of law equity exists...

Whistle was blown as player is diving. There is quite literally no way the Cranbrook player stops him, he isn't even close. Play on.

And as I've stated... What you are saying is the team who didn't understand the laws should benefit because the ref also doesn't know the laws.

Additionally, even if you believe there should have been a scrum 5 metres out (which I would have preferred, now we have to deal with this), chances are Cranbrook lose.

We are going in circles. So let's leave it here.
1690263397976.gif

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
As a neutral and having watched the play, imo :

The Ref ( who is in charge of the game and should know the rules ) blows the penalty and lifts his arm to Cranbrook as the Barker player breaks from the lineout/maul before the Barker player crosses the try line or dives over and grounds the ball.

The problem is, according to the Ref, he has seen a penalty ( correctly or incorrectly ) and the Cranbrook players make no attempt to tackle the Barker player as the penalty should halt play when the ref blows his whistle.

The Barker players approach the ref, the ref seeks advise from the touchy and after consultation, reverses his decision and awards the try.

Regardless if the ref was right/wrong in calling the penalty ( which ref has never made an incorrect call ), he is the boss. Not the
touch judge. Yes he can take advice but reversing the call is huge and causes these debates.

I don't blame the players for protesting the call cause is a big one yet the original penalty should have stood and no try to Barker.

Imagine if the penalty was awarded, there would be no argument or debate as the Ref had made his decision. Add to the fact the controversy about the touch judges relationship with a player, and the whole world blows up.

Ref needed to stand his ground and back his original decision. He is the one to take the blame for reversing it. No Try

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
As a neutral and having watched the play, imo :

The Ref ( who is in charge of the game and should know the rules ) blows the penalty and lifts his arm to Cranbrook as the Barker player breaks from the lineout/maul before the Barker player crosses the try line or dives over and grounds the ball.

The problem is, according to the Ref, he has seen a penalty ( correctly or incorrectly ) and the Cranbrook players make no attempt to tackle the Barker player as the penalty should halt play when the ref blows his whistle.

The Barker players approach the ref, the ref seeks advise from the touchy and after consultation, reverses his decision and awards the try.

Regardless if the ref was right/wrong in calling the penalty ( which ref has never made an incorrect call ), he is the boss. Not the
touch judge. Yes he can take advice but reversing the call is huge and causes these debates.

I don't blame the players for protesting the call cause is a big one yet the original penalty should have stood and no try to Barker.

Imagine if the penalty was awarded, there would be no argument or debate as the Ref had made his decision. Add to the fact the controversy about the touch judges relationship with a player, and the whole world blows up.

Ref needed to stand his ground and back his original decision. He is the one to take the blame for reversing it. No Try
Could not agree more. Refs get a call wrong all the time but the thing is that was their decision at the time. It's not a case of common sense or the vibe, that was the decision and should have stood if it was right or wrong. The penalty being blown stops the play on the spot and the touchy doesn't come into it.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)

Firstly, let's not pretend the Cranbrook players weren't able to make the tackle because the whistle was blown. That's utter crap. The whistle is blown when the player is in the process of diving. EVERY SINGLE Cranbrook player (except Brook 10) is looking at the ref appealing for a penalty (BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW THE LAWS). Barker player has broken the line and is already in the motion of scoring when the whistle is blown. The whistle had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the players not chasing. They're too busy incorrectly appealing for a penalty. That is their fault and their own stupidity. Learn the laws. Teams should not be rewarded for blatant incompetence. This isn't a thugs game like rugby league, this is a thinking mans game, and the thinking man should be rewarded.

Secondly... A bunch of schoolboys make up that the touchy is the hookers father and we run with that? Really?

Thirdly... "Imagine if the penalty was awarded, there would be no argument or debate as the Ref had made his decision." There would absolutely be debate... From anyone who knows the laws of the game who knows that wasn't a penalty.