• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
The most points Waverley has scored in a match against St Aloysius is 71, back in 1945. Could see a 78 year old record fall today.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
So Cranbrook held leads over Waverley, Barker and Knox yet they’re 0 from 4. Is this the best bad season ever or the worst good season ever?

Ziggy

Allen Oxlade (6)
yes basically whole team was pulled off at HT.

Spots filled by 2nd, 3rds and 16's players.

In all honesty the score would've hit 100+ but no point and doesn't do Aloys rugby any good.

Was good to see Aloys having a go all the way to the end... They never gave up!

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Trinity upset win 23-22…
Congrats to Trinity. A big win for them. It was 4 tries to 2 by Barker apparently but they could only convert 1. Penalties against hurt with Trinity kicking 3 clutch goals. Well done to the lads in green. Also just rotten season for Brook. They are a good side. Being 0 from 4 is no reflection on the quality of their team. They have given every school they played a run for their money. To the boys in Red. You are a young team but a good one. Leave it all on the park next week. A victory against Knox away will be memorable in its own right.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well bugger me.

Waverley are premiers, we know that. But now they play Trinity next week to decide whether it’s an outright premiership or a joint one. And Knox will hope Trinity springs an upset because then they can grab a share of the title by beating Barker. Even the wooden spoon is up for grabs. It has been years since every match of the last round had something at stake.

Mind you, it’s academic because I don’t expect Waverley to lose. Still , what a week.

Reactions: 777

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
yes basically whole team was pulled off at HT.

Spots filled by 2nd, 3rds and 16's players.

In all honesty the score would've hit 100+ but no point and doesn't do Aloys rugby any good.

Was good to see Aloys having a go all the way to the end... They never gave up!
Yes, they never give up, however, as an old Aloy's 1st XV player while we never won the comp, we won a couple of games and never got flogged by rarely more than 15 - 20 points. Honestly, if it continues I feel the Aloy's are better off in a competition with other schools that are of similar standard. Sadly, though a tiered competition falls apart when schools are of similar standard up to the 16's and then some schools go on the recruitment scholarship hunt and pack the opens with super stars from other schools.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Well bugger me.

Waverley are premiers, we know that. But now they play Trinity next week to decide whether it’s an outright premiership or a joint one. And Knox will hope Trinity springs an upset because then they can grab a share of the title by beating Barker. Even the wooden spoon is up for grabs. It has been years since every match of the last round had something at stake.

Mind you, it’s academic because I don’t expect Waverley to lose. Still , what a week.
Snort, terrific for Trinity, and Knox would also be quietly happy.
I trust you will be at Trinity next week, we should say g'day since 1979!

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Snort, terrific for Trinity, and Knox would also be quietly happy.
I trust you will be at Trinity next week, we should say g'day since 1979!
WLF, will do my best to get there. Can you arrange for Waverley to put the 3rds on at half time again next week?

Seriously, whatever happens next week (and I expect Waverley to win), it has been a remarkable season for Trinity. They were ordinary in the trials, lost their best forward (Meagher) to injury before the competition started, and got touched up by Knox in Round One - yet here they are playing for a share of the Shield. They're having the season Cranbrook expected to have. They'll probably finish third behind Waverley and Knox, but given their resources that would be a fine effort. It has a lot to do with the character of the side, and quite a bit to do with the leadership of Hatton-Ward.

It has also been quite an emotional season. Sam Niulala's father, Suli, who taught in the Trinity junior school, died from cancer late last year. For Sam Niulala to have played as well as he has this season has been a remarkable effort.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes, they never give up, however, as an old Aloy's 1st XV player while we never won the comp, we won a couple of games and never got flogged by rarely more than 15 - 20 points. Honestly, if it continues I feel the Aloy's are better off in a competition with other schools that are of similar standard. Sadly, though a tiered competition falls apart when schools are of similar standard up to the 16's and then some schools go on the recruitment scholarship hunt and pack the opens with super stars from other schools.
That's why a tiered competition can't be based just on 1st XV results. The starting point needs to be: how many teams does the school field?

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Congratulations Felix Turinui, who scored 3 tries and 8 goals today for 31 points - the most ever by any individual in a Plume Shield game (ahead of Mitch Wheals of Barker and Alex Sherlock of Knox, each of whom scored 30).

Last edited: