• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Last stat today, I promise... the last time Waverley, Knox and Trinity shared the premiership was 2000 - when Waverley's best player was Morgan Turinui (and Trinity upset Waverley 28-12). So if you believe in omens...

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
Last stat today, I promise... the last time Waverley, Knox and Trinity shared the premiership was 2000 - when Waverley's best player was Morgan Turinui (and Trinity upset Waverley 28-12). So if you believe in omens...
Also the last time their was a three way tie for premiership

CAS Fanatic

Peter Burge (5)
Great stat, who knows what next Saturday holds.

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
Congratulations Felix Turinui, who scored 3 tries and 8 goals today for 31 points

And to link your stats post from 2022 which provides some more background.

Big congrats to Trinty on an epic win today. The game was a real nail biter and the difference was the goal kicking of Trinty 9. Some great play from Barker 1, 4, 7, 9, 12 and 15. Trinty 8 was outstanding especially for the try under the posts, also their 7 and 15 went well.

A couple of very bizarre decisions by the ref including ruling the Barker 15 threw the ball over the dead ball line when it looked like he just lost his feet trying to gather the ball and run it out of ingoal.

Famed_Star

Allen Oxlade (6)
Big congrats to Trinty on an epic win today. The game was a real nail biter and the difference was the goal kicking of Trinty 9. Some great play from Barker 1, 4, 7, 9, 12 and 15. Trinty 8 was outstanding especially for the try under the posts, also their 7 and 15 went well.

A couple of very bizarre decisions by the ref including ruling the Barker 15 threw the ball over the dead ball line when it looked like he just lost his feet trying to gather the ball and run it out of ingoal.
No dads running touch on the sideline to overturn the decisions?

Shame.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Ok SNORT! After numerous years of terrific conversations, this last game will be between our 2 schools, as to who wins/shares the Plume Shield, maybe also with Knox.

I will start by saying that your tone and number of posts, since todays Trinity win, has been most obvious, and for very good reasons.
It is extremely good for Trinity Rugby!

Your green machine may well win it this year.

Unless you have an exceptional reason next week not to be present, I really hope to see you, and I hope that the Trinity support is terrific!

Cheers WLF ( You know who!)

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
WLF, will do my best to get there. Can you arrange for Waverley to put the 3rds on at half time again next week?

Seriously, whatever happens next week (and I expect Waverley to win), it has been a remarkable season for Trinity. They were ordinary in the trials, lost their best forward (Meagher) to injury before the competition started, and got touched up by Knox in Round One - yet here they are playing for a share of the Shield. They're having the season Cranbrook expected to have. They'll probably finish third behind Waverley and Knox, but given their resources that would be a fine effort. It has a lot to do with the character of the side, and quite a bit to do with the leadership of Hatton-Ward.

It has also been quite an emotional season. Sam Niulala's father, Suli, who taught in the Trinity junior school, died from cancer late last year. For Sam Niulala to have played as well as he has this season has been a remarkable effort.
Yes Snort, everything you have said resonates and is emotional. These truisms are way to often, and are felt by those who aren't even connected.
In a two horse race, you never know.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
And to link your stats post from 2022 which provides some more background.
CAS Rugby 2022, the very simple explanation about the far corner is that this is the spot all the recent young Old Boys, most of whom played in the 1s,2s or 3s in the most recent years, many are now playing colts for Randwick, congregate.
So if any opposing school ends up down that sideline, well passion flows, but it is typically just banter.

Famed_Star

Allen Oxlade (6)
Congratulations Felix Turinui, who scored 3 tries and 8 goals today for 31 points - the most ever by any individual in a Plume Shield game (ahead of Mitch Wheals of Barker and Alex Sherlock of Knox, each of whom scored 30).
And he only played 1 half of the game.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
Congratulations Felix Turinui, who scored 3 tries and 8 goals today for 31 points - the most ever by any individual in a Plume Shield game (ahead of Mitch Wheals of Barker and Alex Sherlock of Knox, each of whom scored 30).

I believe all of these were accomplished against Aloys in the last 4 years... I also believe that Wheals and Turinui were benched in this game as well... (possibly Sherlock but don't know for a fact)...

If this doesn't force change I don't know what will. I really hope it's not going to take a serious injury to be a catalyst for what we all know should happen anyways.

barkerfan2216

Frank Row (1)
Watch out for young fella Liam Murphy in the 16s competition for barker this weekend. Hearing rumours he may start for the 16As against Knox on the wing. Built like a brick as well as a speedy young fella.

scrumhead99

Sydney Middleton (9)
Cranbrook have effectively won the 2s premiership for two years running now, if they don't lose to St Aloys they will be undefeated in CAS too. Not only does this speak to the not so great depth of other teams, but also represents how close this season was for Cranbrook 1st XV. They lost to Trinity, Barker and Waverley all by 2 points, some games more controversial than others. Should be a very interesting season next year.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
Cranbrook have effectively won the 2s premiership for two years running now, if they don't lose to St Aloys they will be undefeated in CAS too. Not only does this speak to the not so great depth of other teams, but also represents how close this season was for Cranbrook 1st XV. They lost to Trinity, Barker and Waverley all by 2 points, some games more controversial than others. Should be a very interesting season next year.

Isn't this Cranbrook opens cohort quite year 12 heavy?

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
Agreed.

Cranbrook have worked hard to build their program for the last few years and should be congratulated for the big changes and development.

A different bounce of the ball(and a different touchy) would see them playing for the premiership this week.

Well done to all involved.