• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
Having now seen each team, my team of the season is:

1. Ah-Colt (Cranbrook)
2. Dowling (Waverley)
3. Goddard (Knox)
4. Ericsson (Knox)
5. Niulala (Trinity)
6. Ryan (Knox)
7. Aboud (Waverley)
8. Tofaeono (Waverley)
9. Hatten-Ward (Trinity)
10. Turinui (Waverley)
11. Mitchell (Trinity)
12. McDonald (Barker)
13. Enasio (Knox)
14. Harper (Waverley)
15. Morshead-Fidel (Waverley)

Bob McCowan (2)
Well done Waves, you've made us old-boys proud.

I wonder if Waverley will get the chance to play against the winner of the Queensland GPS like Barker did last year?

Footy248

Banned

1. Ah-Colt (Cranbrook)
2. Dowling (Waverley)
3. Goddard (Knox)
4. Ericsson (Knox)
5. Niulala (Trinity)
6. Ryan (Knox)
7. Aboud (Waverley)
8. Tofaeono (Waverley)
9. Hatten-Ward (Trinity)
10. Turinui (Waverley)
11. Mitchell (Trinity)
12. McDonald (Barker)
13. Enasio (Knox)
14. Harper (Waverley)
imo would think that if this team was the selected one for CAS they would've come much closer to GPS.

Famed_Star

Allen Oxlade (6)
Final winners:

1sts: Waverley
2nds Cranbrook
3rds: Waverley
16a’s Knox
15a’s: Waverley
14a’s: Waverley
13a’s: Waverley

Knox with some backs returning and centenary will be strong next year. Waverley have some of their best players returning back plus injured players that missed out on the firsts season returning. Barker were on a rebuilding year. Cranbrook lose a lot of quality, but have a strong seconds. Trinity will still have a few from a strong team. And the St Aloysius aren’t playing any a’s teams anymore which means the firsts will follow sooner rather than later.

What’s this season shown:

Pre season means nothing. Comp games are all that matter.

Well done Waves.

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
Thanks. A disappointing season for Cranbrook, after showing some pretty good trial form.

I only saw the Trinity game where we were 21-0 down at HT (if I remember correctly).

The other 2 narrow losses were on the bell, but we should've closed those games out.

schoolboyfooty

Allen Oxlade (6)
IMG_2984.jpeg

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Well done Waverley, an emphatic win today and a deserved unbeaten premiership. I think the order this year was exactly right - Waverley, Knox, Trinity, Barker, Cranbrook, Aloysius (although a few people up near Hornsby may think otherwise).

Waverley's muscle in the forwards made all the difference today. They were 30% bigger than their opponents, and we all know what a good big player does to a good small player. If Trinity had 10% of the possession I'd be surprised. Waverley might have won by more had they let the backs do their thing instead of cluttering up the back line with props, because the finishing in the backs was clinical and they had plenty of speed. I thought Waverley's best were the 8, 15 and the wingers - though the tight five as a whole set things up well by monopolising the ball, and the 9 (although he was given an armchair ride by his forwards) has a very nice pass that gets the ball wide, quickly.

For Trinity the best was 15 Mitchell, whose defence was tremendous and who ran well when given the rare chance. 8 Niulala was good, while 9 Hatton-Ward worked hard but had almost no ball to do anything with.

Tried to find you WLF, but no luck! Spent much of my afternoon next to a Waverley supporter who doesn't know that under current CAS rules a scrum can't "push em back over the dead ball line!!!"
Well Snort, not sure if the predicted order was actually even close. The comp was supposed to be between Knox and Barker, but as I mentioned at the beginning of the CAS comp, this Waves age group had never lost a CAS throughout the years, they had suffered in the trials with many injuries and so it looked like they weren't going to be competitive this year. What actually happened was that the 7-8 missing players returned a few games before the CAS comp started, got cohesion going, and just managed to beat a very good Cranbrook side at QP.

Then from game 1 they just built and found their true ability, got better game after game.

As you saw today, when facing a Trinity side that had tremendous crowd support and were on a roll, the Waves kept rolling, and after the first 20 minutes, the Waves tended to dominant.

A big strong pack, and a very fluid and quick backline became evident in the 2nd half, as per other games.

Trinity definitely had a crack, dropped a ball with the line wide open in the 1st half, the no.8 was terrific, as was the fullback for Trinity.
I did think the Waves 9 outplayed the Trinity 9, but as you aptly pointed out, that was behind a dominant Waves pack.

I recon Trinity will, and should, celebrate this year, could be even better next year.
The school support and singing was excellent, but need some Elvis tunes in the mix.

Sorry I missed you, I was hoping you would say let's meet somewhere, and I kept checking my phone, never mind. I was there at about 10.30am!

P.S. No beard, probably not an extra 60 kilos, remember I was a glory boy back, but also FU.... tough :p
Hopefully next year my friend at DV!

Knox_to_win

Stan Wickham (3)

1. Ah-Colt (Cranbrook)
2. Dowling (Waverley)
3. Goddard (Knox)
4. Ericsson (Knox)
5. Niulala (Trinity)
6. Ryan (Knox)
7. Aboud (Waverley)
8. Tofaeono (Waverley)
9. Hatten-Ward (Trinity)
10. Turinui (Waverley)
11. Mitchell (Trinity)
12. McDonald (Barker)
13. Enasio (Knox)
14. Harper (Waverley)
I cannot agree with this team.

Knox were the better team in the comp by a long shot (every statistic shows this too) and just had an off day against Waverley. Knox only lost 1 game all year and trounced every other team.

Waverley were lucky and had the run of the green that day. It would have been much more fair for it to be Joint premiers.

Knox_to_win

Stan Wickham (3)
On another note.

What a dominant victory by Knox over Barker yesterday. It was great to see such a strong team really hit out at an import filled Barker team.

Just shows culture can’t be bought and while they might be trying to buy another premiership like 2022, it’s hard to get that many right pick ups all at once again.

schoolboyfooty

Allen Oxlade (6)

Knox were the better team in the comp by a long shot (every statistic shows this too) and just had an off day against Waverley. Knox only lost 1 game all year and trounced every other team.

Waverley were lucky and had the run of the green that day. It would have been much more fair for it to be Joint premiers.
Knox didn't even look like they were close to winning that game. You could tell they just weren't ready to play against the best CAS team

Footy248

Banned

Someone sounds a little bit salty that Waves are the kings

Footy248

Banned
On another note.

What a dominant victory by Knox over Barker yesterday. It was great to see such a strong team really hit out at an import filled Barker team.

Just shows culture can’t be bought and while they might be trying to buy another premiership like 2022, it’s hard to get that many right pick ups all at once again.
Dominant victory for no cause, dead rubber

RugbyBot

Stan Wickham (3)
Dominant victory for no cause, dead rubber
Knox v Barker is never a dead rubber, as seen in the celebrations afterwards.

Knox must see this season as one that got away. A great team all year that had an off day against Waves. In a one round comp, that's all that it takes.

I guess some consolation that half the team marches on with Gen Blue and Aus Schoolboy duties. Waves players free to focus on studies.

Last edited:

Ziggy

Allen Oxlade (6)

Salty... How many times did this generation of Knox players beat Waverley?

@WLF3 feel free to enlighten us.

schoolboyfooty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Knox v Barker is never a dead rubber, as seen in the celebrations afterwards.

Knox must see this season as one that got away. A great team all year that had an off day against Waves. In a one round comp, that's all that it takes.

I guess some consolation that half the team marches on with Gen Blue and Aus Schoolboy duties. Waves players free to focus on studies.

365850482_18374141386009915_6225310046297428390_n.jpg