• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

Mule

Banned
Knox didn't even look like they were close to winning that game. You could tell they just weren't ready to play against the best CAS team
I may be very wrong; but was it simply a case of Knox paying the price of not playing on the last weekend of school holidays (meaning they didn't play for 3-4 weeks) before playing away at Waverley?? Went into that game far too cold?

Footy248

Banned
I may be very wrong; but was it simply a case of Knox paying the price of not playing on the last weekend of school holidays (meaning they didn't play for 3-4 weeks) before playing away at Waverley?? Went into that game far too cold?
Understand but the game Waverley played leading into the Knox game against the NZ team had 13 out of 15 starters not playing so would hardly count it as a game at all tbh.

Seems people on here can't handle that Waves won.

Mule

Banned
Understand but the game Waverley played leading into the Knox game against the NZ team had 13 out of 15 starters not playing so would hardly count it as a game at all tbh.

Seems people on here can't handle that Waves won.
Did not know that W rested players for that game, fair enough then

moa999

Jimmy Flynn (14)
End of the day you have to put points on the board and Waverley did that and Knox didn't. And that means they deserve the trophy.

Think it's a bit rich to say that Knox didn't look like winning however.
There was a phase early on in both halves where Knox were camped on Waverley's line with the forwards dominating. In each case got 5+ penalties straight and kicked for touch and line out. Ultimately for no points, even with a yellow card in the 2nd half during which Waverley scored a breakaway try from a kick.

Had Knox taken even half the penalties, or got over the line, very different result.

Last edited:

footyfooty123

Stan Wickham (3)
Yeah yeah Waverley 1's, 2's and 3's were good, but what about the mighty 4's. Never disappoint those blokes. Showed some real grit and determination throughout the season ending with a massive win and even an a bit of a kerfuffle in the last game. In the words of NRL Guru - "The boys could be anything". Uppa Waves and Stock 13+.

Tim Horan

Bob McCowan (2)
Yeah yeah Waverley 1's, 2's and 3's were good, but what about the mighty 4's. Never disappoint those blokes. Showed some real grit and determination throughout the season ending with a massive win and even an a bit of a kerfuffle in the last game. In the words of NRL Guru - "The boys could be anything". Uppa Waves and Stock 13+.
Get off this thread you schoolboy kids, always looking to wind this forum up!

schoolboyfooty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yeah watched that last fixture between Trinity and Waverley and would like to point out Ruben Stock's pilf power as well as the link up between Tobias Neilsen and Darcy Standfield a proper 8,9,10 combo

RedPolarBear

Frank Row (1)
Is there another cas game this week or is it over ?
Yep CAS rugby season over. Schools moving into athletics and/or transitioning into the summer season.

For the rugby, there might be a few more reps games later in the year I believe for those with Gen Blue...?

Homer

Larry Dwyer (12)
End of the day you have to put points on the board and Waverley did that and Knox didn't. And that means they deserve the trophy.

Think it's a bit rich to say that Knox didn't look like winning however.
There was a phase early on in both halves where Knox were camped on Waverley's line with the forwards dominating. In each case got 5+ penalties straight and kicked for touch and line out. Ultimately for no points, even with a yellow card in the 2nd half during which Waverley scored a breakaway try from a kick.

Had Knox taken even half the penalties, or got over the line, very different result.
The Knox boys and coaches all admitted Waves got it right on the day and they didn't. No sour grapes just disappointment they let a great season go to waste. Congrats to Waves.
A two round comp would mean the return fixture would've been huge though.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
I am not in favour of a two round season just yet.

I think ideally, it’s the way to go.

However, the CAS is still quite imbalanced. Unless we get a few more years where at least Trinity and Cranbrook are competitive with Waves, Knox and Barker, it’s probably not a great idea.

In hindsight though, this year would have been a great year for it.

guntzinator

Banned

However, the CAS is still quite imbalanced. Unless we get a few more years where at least Trinity and Cranbrook are competitive with Waves, Knox and Barker, it’s probably not a great idea.

A two round season makes for a more competitive season for the top teams and is a must for next season.
That's Trinity's and Cranbrook's problem to be competitive with the top teams. They can both afford to bring scholarships in.

Footy248

Banned

A two round season makes for a more competitive season for the top teams and is a must for next season.
That's Trinity's and Cranbrook's problem to be competitive with the top teams. They can both afford to bring scholarships in.

I believe that while a Two round season would improve the competitiveness of the CAS comp, it would come with some risk;
Injury and games which end in cricket scorelines at the later games. Like both Knox v Waverley games would be really good, But the second game between Aloys V Waverley would most likely end up in 90s to 0. Injuries next again im going to use Aloys as an example, They don't have the depth needed, which means two injuries in the same position and you could well have a 3rds player which is a safety issue therefore i don't reckon a two round system is good until Aloys work on there rugby program.

GPSlads

Chris McKivat (8)

Please don’t disrespect trinity and Cranbrook saying they are a lower level than barker .. it’s simply not true .. thank u for your time .

megarugbyman

Frank Nicholson (4)
Please don’t disrespect trinity and Cranbrook saying they are a lower level than barker .. it’s simply not true .. thank u for your time .
Barker Cranbrook and Trinity games against eachother were very close, though this is the first season in a while it has happened. Lets not forgot the amount of points Barker put on Trinity and Cranbrook last year.

I believe what RedOrDead means, is that these tight score-lines and nail-biting games need to continue in order for a two round season. (hence when he stated "I am not in favour of a two round season just yet.")

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
Barker Cranbrook and Trinity games against eachother were very close, though this is the first season in a while it has happened. Lets not forgot the amount of points Barker put on Trinity and Cranbrook last year.

I believe what RedOrDead means, is that these tight score-lines and nail-biting games need to continue in order for a two round season. (hence when he stated "I am not in favour of a two round season just yet.")
Correct.