• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

RedPolarBear

Frank Row (1)
Knox v Barker is never a dead rubber, as seen in the celebrations afterwards.
Going off that - pretty sure for Knox that it's their first First XV win against Barker in quite a few years (at least since 2019). It's no Premiership title, but still a pretty significant moment for the program.

moa999

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Per Snorts records

It's only somewhat recently that the CAS moved away from a two round comp (occured from mid-2000s to 2016) which per the records resulted in a lot of one sided games (not all against SAC either).

My only thought versus this year, particularly if GPS is going to continue as two rounds, is would be better playing the five CAS rounds in Term 2.. which enables better selection of the CAS XV (given the debate this year).

And then maybe a Cup/Plate tournament involving the top IGA schools (say 3 CASs, 2 IGA teams)

Last edited:

Ziggy

Herbert Moran (7)
Nice combination of clips and editing.
Hoping their 1s go well next year after an unlucky season this year.

Regards
I don't know if you can consider 4 losses to be unlucky...
Good luck to them next year
Waverley will still be strong
Knox in a Centenary year
Barker will do what Barker normally does
Trinity the unknown but building from lower age groups
Aloys unfortunately will make up the numbers

scrumhead99

Ward Prentice (10)
I don't know if you can consider 4 losses to be unlucky...
Good luck to them next year
Waverley will still be strong
Knox in a Centenary year
Barker will do what Barker normally does
Trinity the unknown but building from lower age groups
Aloys unfortunately will make up the numbers
Lets look at the scores...

Cranbrook 26- Waverley 28
Cranbrook 39- Barker 41
Cranbrook 19- Trinity 21
Cranbrook 41- Aloys 0
Cranbrook 29- Knox 42

3 Games Cranbrook should have won, if you don't consider this unlucky I cannot imagine what game you must have been watching.
A very unlucky year for the brook. I cannot imagine next years team will be as good as this, but might get different results... The CAS season is very unpredictable.

Footy248

Banned
Lets look at the scores...

Cranbrook 26- Waverley 28
Cranbrook 39- Barker 41
Cranbrook 19- Trinity 21
Cranbrook 41- Aloys 0
Cranbrook 29- Knox 42

3 Games Cranbrook should have won, if you don't consider this unlucky I cannot imagine what game you must have been watching.
A very unlucky year for the brook. I cannot imagine next years team will be as good as this, but might get different results... The CAS season is very unpredictable.
You say that 3 games Should've been won by Cranbrook, If they should've won they would've clearly in the 3 games they got beat by a better team. So wouldn't say unlucky more like just a little worse than the rest

scrumhead99

Ward Prentice (10)
You say that 3 games Should've been won by Cranbrook, If they should've won they would've clearly in the 3 games they got beat by a better team. So wouldn't say unlucky more like just a little worse than the rest
Lets look back on these games...

Barker, lucky to get a point as the ref overturned his decision to award the try.
Trinity, shocking first half from the brook, 19 points in the second half, with a better kicker on the day they would not have lost this game.
Waverley, unlucky penalty against them, for in the ruck off their feet... if penalty not awarded I believe Cranbrook would have rode this game to victory.

Trinity were the better team but, very clearly Cranbrook was the better team against Barker and Waverley. So not a little worse, a little unlucky.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
Barker, lucky to get a point as the ref overturned his decision to award the try.
Trinity, shocking first half from the brook, 19 points in the second half, with a better kicker on the day they would not have lost this game.
Waverley, unlucky penalty against them, for in the ruck off their feet... if penalty not awarded I believe Cranbrook would have rode this game to victory.

Another way you can look at this..

Barker: Cranbrook ALMOST got a lucky wrong decision from the ref but this was rightfully overturned. The better team won.

Trinity: Cranbrook didn't turn up in the first half and hence were beaten by the better team.

Waverley: The ref did his job, resulting in Cranbrook to lose?

There is no point making this "should have" won argument.

However, I will say Cranbrook have quite a few good year 11's coming through the 2's. However, will they be better than the big 3? I'd say almost definitely no. And Trinity will be a chance too.

scrumhead99

Ward Prentice (10)
Barker: Cranbrook ALMOST got a lucky wrong decision from the ref but this was rightfully overturned. The better team won.

Trinity: Cranbrook didn't turn up in the first half and hence were beaten by the better team.

Waverley: The ref did his job, resulting in Cranbrook to lose?

There is no point making this "should have" won argument.

However, I will say Cranbrook have quite a few good year 11's coming through the 2's. However, will they be better than the big 3? I'd say almost definitely no. And Trinity will be a chance too.
Let's break this down,

Barker desicion could go either way, I personally watching the game live do not believe this was a fair decision but let's agree to disagree.

Waverley, again could go either way, I do think the call was a bit harsh, but as I say before, could gone either way.

I will agree with you about trinity....

Next year will be interesting.

schoolboyfooty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Heard rumours he's going pro in fencing, can anyone confirm?
Predicted to go to the French league in a world record deal, He is truely a game breaking player
What is next for R.Stock? surely multi-million $ contracts are piling up for the young man
The Ruben Rumours can stop. Ruben is yet to decide what he wants to do, the talk is he is going on a break from rugby to the Himilayans to get a deeper spiritual sense for himself and the Earth then once he returns he will be played for the Darwin Dragonites.

Player of the Season Report: Veer Guar

*Green and Gold Rugby Forums - Player of the Season Awards*

Introduction
In a season filled with promising talent and remarkable performances, one player stood out from the pack and left an indelible mark on the rugby field. Veer Gaur, affectionately known as "Gaury" showcased an exceptional display of skill, determination, and potential throughout his time with the Cranbrook School 4th XV. His unwavering commitment to the game and impressive growth as a prop player have positioned him as a player to watch in the upcoming 1st XV season.

Background
Hailing from a diverse background and new to the Cranbrook rugby community, Veer Guar quickly made his presence felt both on and off the field. His dedication to mastering the intricacies of the prop position and his eagerness to learn from coaches and teammates alike were evident from the outset. Despite beginning his rugby journey at a relatively late stage, Veer's natural athleticism and willingness to put in the hard yards set him on a trajectory towards success.

Key Attributes

1. Scrum Dominance: Veer's prowess in the scrum became a critical asset for the 4th XV. Despite facing opponents with more experience, his raw strength and technique allowed him to hold his own against formidable opposition. As he continues to refine his scrummaging skills, he is poised to become a cornerstone of the 1st XV scrum.

2. Work Rate: Veer showcased an exceptional work rate that resonated with teammates and coaches alike. Whether it was making crucial tackles, carrying the ball with conviction, or providing vital support in rucks and mauls, Veer consistently displayed an unwavering commitment to the team's success.

3. Adaptability: One of Veer's most impressive traits was his ability to adapt and learn from each match. His receptiveness to feedback and his willingness to apply new techniques on the field demonstrated a high rugby IQ that is rare in players of his age and experience.

Season Highlights
Throughout the season, Veer Guar's performances were nothing short of inspiring. A few standout moments include:

- Crucial Scrums: Veer's tenacity in the scrum was evident in every match. His ability to hold his ground and provide a stable platform for his team allowed the backline to flourish and execute their attacking strategies effectively.

- Barnstorming Runs: On numerous occasions, Veer's powerful runs through the opposition's defensive line brought a surge of momentum to his team. His determination to gain meters after contact often left defenders in his wake.

- Leadership Potential: Despite being a newcomer, Veer's dedication and strong work ethic set a positive example for his teammates. His willingness to encourage and guide fellow players demonstrated leadership qualities that bode well for his future in the 1st XV.

Future Prospects:
With his impressive debut season in the 4th XV, Veer Guar has undoubtedly caught the eye of coaches and players alike. His remarkable growth, commitment to improvement, and natural talent make him a prime candidate for a spot in the Cranbrook School 1st XV next year. As he continues to refine his skills and gain invaluable experience, the rugby community eagerly anticipates the impact that he will make in the upcoming season.

In conclusion, Veer Guar's journey from a newcomer to a standout player in the Cranbrook School 4th XV has been nothing short of remarkable. His dedication, adaptability, and exceptional performance as a prop have rightfully earned him the accolade of "Player of the Season." The future looks incredibly bright for this promising player, and all eyes will be on his continued development as he gears up for a potential spot in the 1st XV.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Player of the Season Report: Veer Guar

*Green and Gold Rugby Forums - Player of the Season Awards*

Introduction
In a season filled with promising talent and remarkable performances, one player stood out from the pack and left an indelible mark on the rugby field. Veer Gaur, affectionately known as "Gaury" showcased an exceptional display of skill, determination, and potential throughout his time with the Cranbrook School 4th XV. His unwavering commitment to the game and impressive growth as a prop player have positioned him as a player to watch in the upcoming 1st XV season.

Background
Hailing from a diverse background and new to the Cranbrook rugby community, Veer Guar quickly made his presence felt both on and off the field. His dedication to mastering the intricacies of the prop position and his eagerness to learn from coaches and teammates alike were evident from the outset. Despite beginning his rugby journey at a relatively late stage, Veer's natural athleticism and willingness to put in the hard yards set him on a trajectory towards success.

Key Attributes

1. Scrum Dominance: Veer's prowess in the scrum became a critical asset for the 4th XV. Despite facing opponents with more experience, his raw strength and technique allowed him to hold his own against formidable opposition. As he continues to refine his scrummaging skills, he is poised to become a cornerstone of the 1st XV scrum.

2. Work Rate: Veer showcased an exceptional work rate that resonated with teammates and coaches alike. Whether it was making crucial tackles, carrying the ball with conviction, or providing vital support in rucks and mauls, Veer consistently displayed an unwavering commitment to the team's success.

3. Adaptability: One of Veer's most impressive traits was his ability to adapt and learn from each match. His receptiveness to feedback and his willingness to apply new techniques on the field demonstrated a high rugby IQ that is rare in players of his age and experience.

Season Highlights
Throughout the season, Veer Guar's performances were nothing short of inspiring. A few standout moments include:

- Crucial Scrums: Veer's tenacity in the scrum was evident in every match. His ability to hold his ground and provide a stable platform for his team allowed the backline to flourish and execute their attacking strategies effectively.

- Barnstorming Runs: On numerous occasions, Veer's powerful runs through the opposition's defensive line brought a surge of momentum to his team. His determination to gain meters after contact often left defenders in his wake.

- Leadership Potential: Despite being a newcomer, Veer's dedication and strong work ethic set a positive example for his teammates. His willingness to encourage and guide fellow players demonstrated leadership qualities that bode well for his future in the 1st XV.

Future Prospects:
With his impressive debut season in the 4th XV, Veer Guar has undoubtedly caught the eye of coaches and players alike. His remarkable growth, commitment to improvement, and natural talent make him a prime candidate for a spot in the Cranbrook School 1st XV next year. As he continues to refine his skills and gain invaluable experience, the rugby community eagerly anticipates the impact that he will make in the upcoming season.

In conclusion, Veer Guar's journey from a newcomer to a standout player in the Cranbrook School 4th XV has been nothing short of remarkable. His dedication, adaptability, and exceptional performance as a prop have rightfully earned him the accolade of "Player of the Season." The future looks incredibly bright for this promising player, and all eyes will be on his continued development as he gears up for a potential spot in the 1st XV.
Got to see people from different ethnic groups taking up the game. I look forward to watching him against Shore