• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2024

Nevergiveup

Stan Wickham (3)
A small number of boys that receive bush bursaries are good at rugby. The majority of boys from the bush who receive bursaries are not good at rugby. Joeys does not have a choir or triangle ensemble. Also, boys from the bush will start yr 7,8 or 9 depending on what their parents can afford. Occasionally they might come in 10 or 11, again, depending on what their parents can afford. No one ever starts in yr 12 at all. Whilst we are at it, there has been a very long tradition of Waverley lads going to Joeys for later years. There were about 6 in my year, the best rugby player made the 3rds, 2 played soccer and the others were social . They were all quite academic. So no magic, just a very long tradition of Joeys (and Marist) connection to the country and a priority of providing balanced education.
AA, agree that you don’t have a need/strong Musical department…but constantly saying you don’t offer a good percussionist subsidised education is farcical. I know of a new student from the north shore ( at this age showing strong skills in a couple of sports) started in year 8 this year…Magic!

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
AA, agree that you don’t have a need/strong Musical department…but constantly saying you don’t offer a good percussionist subsidised education is farcical. I know of a new student from the north shore ( at this age showing strong skills in a couple of sports) started in year 8 this year…Magic!
Joeys actually has a fantastic music department, probably the best music education facility in the country when it was built in 1980, and it is probably still amongst the very best. Attend mass, an assembly or the school musical and you'll be embarrassed by your ignorance. There are a number of music scholarships, they are offered to talented musicians. The kid you refer to may well have started in year 8 (that's not unusual) but the insinuation he is on a scholarship in a falsehood. No magic.

Nevergiveup

Stan Wickham (3)
Joeys actually has a fantastic music department, probably the best music education facility in the country when it was built in 1980, and it is probably still amongst the very best. Attend mass, an assembly or the school musical and you'll be embarrassed by your ignorance. There are a number of music scholarships, they are offered to talented musicians. The kid you refer to may well have started in year 8 (that's not unusual) but the insinuation he is on a scholarship in a falsehood. No magic.
Ok so his parents must be lying….

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Ok so his parents must be lying….
Is he indigenous? is he from the bush? Both might qualify for bursaries although the correlation to sporting talent is very low and given he is from the North Shore it would seem he’s an unlikely candidate. I don't believe any music or academic scholarships are offered in year 8 and there are none for sport. So you are correct, they will be lying. Or perhaps (and more likely) you’ve made the North Shore candidate up.

Last edited:

Nevergiveup

Stan Wickham (3)
Is he indigenous? is he from the bush? Both might qualify for bursaries although the correlation to sporting talent is very low and given he is from the North Shore it would seem he’s an unlikely candidate. I don't believe any music or academic scholarships are offered in year 8 and there are none for sport. So you are correct, they will be lying. Or perhaps (and more likely) you’ve made you the North Shore candidate up.
No he’s not indigenous and as I said before from the North Shore. I’ll point him out to you when Knox host Joeys on the 4th May.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
All schools do it, good luck to them, so this banned topic should be dropped or we will get shut down like the GPS page is right now.

Is any school touring their teams in the holidays?
Just be careful of the Cerise and Blue army in saying that. They control most rugby in Aus and would hate to lose their power.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
All schools do it, good luck to them, so this banned topic should be dropped or we will get shut down like the GPS page is right now.

Is any school touring their teams in the holidays?
Waverley heading to Orange for a tour. Playing against Kinross I believe.

Waverley heading to Orange for a tour. Playing against Kinross I believe.
Yes, Waverley is going to Orange (Kinross) and versing Kinross and Marist from Canberra. So is Cranbrook but within hours of both teams accepting the tour Cranbrook said they didn't want to play Waverley in the trial at Orange.

Heard news that Aloysius is playing their brother school Riverview in the trials. Does anyone know if Aloysius has improved that much over the off season to play in a fixture against a top GPS team?