• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS U16s 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talltimber

Bob McCowan (2)
Question for the experts - where is the most fragile part of the team? where are the strengths? Front row looks a little light? Backs look ok

Have to agree that the backs look good to very good. Forwards seem to lack size against their larger GPS counterparts. Perhaps the key therefore is mobility and determination, use the mobilify with a short passing game in amongst the forwards and get it to the kickers and quicks

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
One can only assume he didnt place his best foot forward in yesterdays trials? givent that selection is supposedly based on trials if he didnt play well what does one say to the lad who played better than him on the day?
is selection based on the trials only?

Playing 1sts at the age of 16 whilst a great achievement does not guarantee a position in a rep team as has been seen over previous years. There are most probably players in Waverley and Knox who would be playing First XV as well if not for the players in front of them and how the team is performing.
Well done to all of the boys selected.

Talltimber

Bob McCowan (2)
Playing 1sts at the age of 16 whilst a great achievement does not guarantee a position in a rep team as has been seen over previous years. There are most probably players in Waverley and Knox who would be playing First XV as well if not for the players in front of them and how the team is performing.

Valid point - lots of good players in waiting due to their position having a stronger player above.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
One can only assume he didnt place his best foot forward in yesterdays trials? givent that selection is supposedly based on trials if he didnt play well what does one say to the lad who played better than him on the day?
is selection based on the trials only?
I doubt selection is based solely on trial form. I've no idea who the selectors are but presumably they have some involvement with CAS rugby on an ongoing basis and would be familiar with many of the players. They wouldn't be human not to be at least partly guided by what they see week in and out rather than solely what the boys do in a trial where a number were not given much game time.

Afaik the only boy playing regular firsts who missed out was Reimer. He has also been the 16yo making the most impact at that level if the weekly match reports are to be believed. I may be completely off the mark, but I suspect there are bigger plans for him rep wise this year. We'll know on 18 June.

Talltimber

Bob McCowan (2)
I doubt selection is based solely on trial form. I've no idea who the selectors are but presumably they have some involvement with CAS rugby on an ongoing basis and would be familiar with many of the players. They wouldn't be human not to be at least partly guided by what they see week in and out rather than solely what the boys do in a trial where a number were not given much game time.

Afaik the only boy playing regular firsts who missed out was Reimer. He has also been the 16yo making the most impact at that level if the weekly match reports are to be believed. I may be completely off the mark, but I suspect there are bigger plans for him rep wise this year. We'll know on 18 June.

That would mean that he will be asked to trial again for Opens - a little odd that he would be requested to trrial for 16s as well then? Perhaps your off the mark on this one

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)

Surely the 16 year olds making the biggest impact at that level are Cameron and Moretti. Both playing in teams that are doing much better than Barker.

Cameron is playing in an undefeated first XV and Moretti is playing in a team that will come in second to that undefeated team.

The other players selected in the back row are Trobec, who could play in that Knox undefeated team easily. And Murphy, who could do the same at Waverley.

The only reserve back rower appears to be Ginis, but he can also play second row, front row and centre. They have selected a team that can play tournament rugby and it shows in the selections.

Reimer played one quarter yesterday made little impact and has been playing in a team that has been doing very poorly. That is why he is not there.

If he was to be picked in the opens back row instead of Margin, Basson, Kemmeny, Clifton, Stead,Tuitavake, Hzardaker, Osullivan, Moretti. Who are all the form back rowers in the open Comp and who are all in teams that are playing better than Barker, I would be very surprised.

james777

Bob McCowan (2)

Very accurate and the fact that Reimer is playing 1st is a credit to him however also a reflection on the quality in the current firsts, Would Reimer be playing firsts in Waves? Knox?

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
That would mean that he will be asked to trial again for Opens - a little odd that he would be requested to trrial for 16s as well then? Perhaps your off the mark on this one

There is no trial as such for opens. One would think that todays game v Waverley (if all are playing) may help as a gauge to performance.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
by and large I think selectors have done pretty well

particularly on the starting 15

and agree good analysis on the issue of disappointed backrowers

maybe a bit surprised Aloys hasn't got a few more .... given they have been a competitive outfit .... however I am not as familiar with their players

what I will say is there are a lot of very skilful players ... but not a lot of size and no one that is big and scary .... think St Augustine's Hopoate

and certainly I wouldn't be getting too confident ahead of GPS

it's the tight 5 where this team might get shown up ... while I like both McGuiggan and Moretti from Waverley (amongst others) ... they will be facing the likes of Newington's Angus Bell and Keith Titmuss

and that is going to be a big step-up

Runawayprop

Frank Nicholson (4)
by and large I think selectors have done pretty well

particularly on the starting 15

and agree good analysis on the issue of disappointed backrowers

maybe a bit surprised Aloys hasn't got a few more .. given they have been a competitive outfit .. however I am not as familiar with their players

what I will say is there are a lot of very skilful players . but not a lot of size and no one that is big and scary .. think St Augustine's Hopoate

and certainly I wouldn't be getting too confident ahead of GPS

it's the tight 5 where this team might get shown up . while I like both McGuiggan and Moretti from Waverley (amongst others) . they will be facing the likes of Newington's Angus Bell and Keith Titmuss

and that is going to be a big step-up

When you think about the skill level in CAS backrowers - there is a high number of solid backrowers - a number of them could be picked ahead of others on any given day - they all offer mobility ahead of size. So strategy has to be thought through.

Runawayprop

Frank Nicholson (4)
When you think about the skill level in CAS backrowers - there is a high number of solid backrowers - a number of them could be picked ahead of others on any given day - they all offer mobility ahead of size. So strategy has to be thought through.

Agree though that the step up for the boys confronting a rampaging Titmuss and Bell will test them

William

Allen Oxlade (6)
Surely the 16 year olds making the biggest impact at that level are Cameron and Moretti. Both playing in teams that are doing much better than Barker.

Cameron is playing in an undefeated first XV and Moretti is playing in a team that will come in second to that undefeated team.

The other players selected in the back row are Trobec, who could play in that Knox undefeated team easily. And Murphy, who could do the same at Waverley.

The only reserve back rower appears to be Ginis, but he can also play second row, front row and centre. They have selected a team that can play tournament rugby and it shows in the selections.

Reimer played one quarter yesterday made little impact and has been playing in a team that has been doing very poorly. That is why he is not there.

If he was to be picked in the opens back row instead of Margin, Basson, Kemmeny, Clifton, Stead,Tuitavake, Hzardaker, Osullivan, Moretti. Who are all the form back rowers in the open Comp and who are all in teams that are playing better than Barker, I would be very surprised.

Well i am sure the boys selected will be chomping to put their best studs forward against quality teams. The reality is they are underdogs and nothing better than havings a good hit out against the GPS lads. TBH a close game will be a win for the CAS lads and further potential honours for some of the better players. Good luck to all the lads

William

Allen Oxlade (6)
I see a common thread that Biviano deserved a shot . How has Sean K been playing for Knox? Obviously picked and deserves his shot of glory but was Biviano a little unlucky not to have trialled?

Haynepain

Frank Row (1)

Yeah good call - its a tricky one. The boys selected now have their chance to prove themselves. Who will be the kicker?

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Agree though that the step up for the boys confronting a rampaging Titmuss and Bell will test them
This is precisely the point. Reimer has been playing and winning against these and the other GPS boys for years. Titmuss, Bell and many of the other likely GPS boys played club and rep rugby (Norths) for years. Reimer has been a key member of the Gordon rep side which knocked off Nths at last years JSC (playing #8 opposite Titmuss) and was selected alongside Bell and Titmuss for NSW u15s. He was also selected for NSW JGC v Qld in 2014. Apart from Trobec, who was in that Gordon side, and the Waves boys in the team pumped by New in a trial this year, how many of the forwards chosen have ever even faced Bell and Titmuss let alone got over the top of them? CAS are undoubtedly underdogs and imho just can't afford to leave out that kind of proven experience and effectiveness at the highest level.

Haynepain

Frank Row (1)
Although I respect your comments - conversely its good to see new blood in the team given an opportunity to shine and there is a lot of talented athletes named in the squad as well.

there must be an underlying reason why he hasn't been picked. It may be as you suggest for higher honours or perhaps its something related to his mental approach or perhaps he had a shocker during the trials. Whatever that is we should have a little faith in the system and process - and that the boys selected all deserve their opportunity

James999

Frank Nicholson (4)
Good Call - we have to assume that the lads picked are the right lads picked. Too much whining on boys not being picked really. Let the boys who were picked celebrate their success and believe in their selection

Status
Not open for further replies.