• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ch9 RWC coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm thinking that you'll struggle to see much more than the Wallabies games on free to air (at least live) up until the semi finals. I'd be surprised if they show all the quarter finals live.

I don't know how rugby fans survive without Foxtel.

A

Army_Gav

I watched the replay of Nine for Saturday's game. They were flogging the fact that they'd broadcast NZ vs Tonga.

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
The NSWRU should start pushing some Shute Shield games to Foxsports. WIth the Viewer's Choice function they can pretty much show as much content as they like. For what is surely a fairly low cost of producing a Shute Shield match for TV, it would hopefully help promote club rugby.

But 60% less can see it

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
I watched the replay of Nine for Saturday's game. They were flogging the fact that they'd broadcast NZ vs Tonga.

Opening game, hey well done 9, maybe Kenny will buy some eye drops before then.
Its disturbing the networks dont want to fight over this event.
The best possible fit FTA could only ever be SBS, they go on about covering "world" games, well its played nearly everywhere and has global coverage, show the game some interest...just once!!
I reckon they still see it as a colonial sport followed by skips

B

Burke's Boot

I pressed that magic Green button on Fox and now all the matches are now programmed to be recorded in HD.

better make sure the drive has plenty of space as its only 320GB on IQ2.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't know how rugby fans survive without Foxtel.

It used to be much better...

Personally, I have no issue with SupeRugby being payTV exclusive, but when it comes to international rugby FTA coverage is just not up to scratch these days.

And it doesn't help the perception that the game is made up by elitist private school prats when some dickhead says "Oh, just get Foxtel."

Oldpig

Stan Wickham (3)
I believe 9 are only showing Australia v ? game during the pool matches. What they show after that is anybodies guess.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Pathetic if 9 are only showing Wallabies pool matches on FTA plus finals. Another case of a program/event being treated like crap once 9 gets a hold of it. The rights to other games should be given to ABC or SBS if they don't use them.

C

chief

It's about cash. Maybe someone familiar with broadcasting rights could inform me. Didn't the government say that RWC pool games could be shown on there other channels because of laws proposed by the Government. Like channels like Gem and Mate.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Pathetic if 9 are only showing Wallabies pool matches on FTA plus finals. Another case of a program/event being treated like crap once 9 gets a hold of it. The rights to other games should be given to ABC or SBS if they don't use them.

Just ridiculous. I'll congratulate them on showing all the quarters games and onwards. I half expected them to only show the wallabies quarter final....

I would love to know the ARU's thoughts on this programming schedule. it defies the imagination that a network with 3 channels and zero good television shows, can't find the time to play any of the non-wallabies round robin games, given that RWC is the second biggest single sport event in the world. regardless of its population in australia, it's the world cup....people will want to watch the all blacks, england, france etc. an immense source of frustration.

If they refuse to show the other games, alternative networks should be able to at least purchase them off 9. i am sure ABC and or SBS would be more than willing to.

I mean for god's sake, it is league finals, it is afl finals. people are sport mad at the moment and will watch whatever is on. why not dedicate GEM at the very least to showing games.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
they applied, successfully, to be able to play wallabies games on gem and mate. they are able to play any other game on gem or mate. that is my understanding.
verrrrrrrrrrrrry frustrating. i really dislike this network.

also, per their ad. new zealand isn't the youngest country on earth! south sudan is! just another reason they are stupid (and yes i know they are referring to a geological timescale)

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Opening game at 9:45pm on Friday in Sydney, Brisbane and Canberra. New Episode apparently...
Nothing on Friday night in the other places.

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
The ARU have failed dismally to deliver rugby on free for its fans to air since the days when noone ever showed it but the ABC

W

Worldcupnut

Opening Ceremony Grief.....The Opening ceremony starts at 5.30pm our time and is nowhere to be seen on free to air. That's including GEM. Such a showcase for the code we love and it's nowhere! It wouldn't even interfere with the Rugby League semi that starts @ 7.30pm.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If the stations can't broadcast important events they should not get the rights! They should be ordered to screen it all!

W

Worldcupnut

IMO, that's an excellent deal (and you get lots more besides). Apart from the hapless Fox commentariat (I would pay $10 pm extra for a black button to delete their inputs), the actual production/camera/edit quality is very good, and watching a sport like rugby or cricket in full HD is just so much more pleasurable and engaging than FTA SD. HD is also especially value-addiing if you like to look at player or play detail via replay in slo-mo or such like, so much more detail there for close checks than in SD.

What's all this BS hawking Fox about? Eh? The fact that FTW service is abysmal needs to be addressed and rectified. The fact that you can pay for something you shouldn't have to is completely irrelevant.

I think this shameless marketing on behalf of pay-tv is really obnoxious.

W

Worldcupnut

Very Sad that the World Cup Opening Ceremony wil NOT be on Free to Air.

Even though it's at 5.30pm our time Channel 9 can not make room for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.