• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Channel 9 Commentary Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
there is talk that nine might not be assembling a team at all. the rights for free to air have been negotiated as an ad on to having the world cup and they dont really want to spend money on it. dont be surprised if we get an international feed or if they pay fox to share there call team but insert ad breaks.

This would be the most likely scenario.

Fox would split a clean feed out to 9 who would run it through an evs for a delayed broadcast with ads and stick their watermark on it.

A

Army_Gav

It's only a 1 hour highlights package/show, so they won't really need anyone with in depth knowledge of the game, just a presenter basically.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Gordon Bray has been all over ESPN this morning promoting the 6 nations and he is bringing it to us. I wonder if he is now with ESP and Ch 9? This would allow ESPN to show a highlights package from Super Rugby world wide (non tri nations countries) and also supply a copy to CH 9.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
What is the chance that Peter Fitzsimons turns up in their team? Or his wife, as she is already at 9.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Gordon Bray has been all over ESPN this morning promoting the 6 nations and he is bringing it to us. I wonder if he is now with ESP and Ch 9? This would allow ESPN to show a highlights package from Super Rugby world wide (non tri nations countries) and also supply a copy to CH 9.

He's been writing some articles for ESPN Scrum.com too.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Piece in the Tele about 9's lineup.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/wendell-sailor-to-break-new-commentary-ground/story-e6frexnr-1225992509249
HE STILL calls himself "the Dual" - as in dual international - but now Wendell Sailor could be the man to break new ground in the TV world by commentating on both rugby league and rugby union for Channel 9.

Nine takes over the rights to broadcast rugby this year and will show the Wallabies' Tests in the Tri-Nations and then the Rugby World Cup in September and October.

Nine will also put Super rugby back on free-to-air for the first time in a decade in a weekly highlights show. It's understood Nine will take the match commentary of FoxSports but are looking for fresh talent to front the hosting duties.

Sailor is a name that has been thrown up.

An entertaining figure already on the books of Nine and FoxSports, Sailor's five years in rugby make him a credible option and someone who'd also attract non-rugby fans.

Asked if he'd be interested in becoming the Dual International Commentator, Sailor said he'd keep an open mind.

"No one has spoken to me or anything ... I enjoyed my time with the Wallabies and I am still mates with a lot of those boys. If it was just offering a few opinions here and there, no problems," Sailor said.

"But league has been wonderful to me and I am enjoying working for Nine and Fox and doing grassroots work in league. I'd be really reluctant to jeopardise that work in any way so I guess we'd just wait and see."

Things didn't end well with rugby and Sailor (two-year drug ban) but the ARU - consulting with Nine - would be smart to make peace with Sailor and push for his involvement.

The Dell sells and rugby needs all the help it can get in free-to-air ratings after several years of atrophy on Seven. Other presenters will be Nine men: former Wallaby captain Andrew Slack and one-time NSW forward Tim Sheridan.

Brendan Cannon is also in Nine's sights despite being on FoxSports, while intelligent hooker Adam Freier is also being talked about. Veteran caller Gordon Bray? Highly unlikely.
Hopefully Wendell stays away....

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hasn't the Dell bagged rugby since returning?

He can fuck right off...

Adam Freier? That would assume he won't be fit enough to play...

meatsack

Ward Prentice (10)
Sailor is a name that has been thrown up.

Take a couple words out of this sentence and I'd agree.

George is coming back from Japan soon isn't he? And Eales is still well and truly about the newspaper columns. If they don't approach at least one of them instead of looking at a money grabbing flash in the pan drug cheating serial code switcher, then they aren't serious about rugby.

I'd rather Matt Rogers or Lote if they have their heart fixed on a leaguie.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I always thought that the affable and articulate Morgan Turinui would be a good commentator. He used to be excellent on the radio when a Sydney morning sports show used to call him up before a big game.

Ex Wallaby, Ross Reynolds, on ABC radio is also very good as the comments man. Some ex-players are not that great but Reynolds, an ex-Sydney Uni and Oz 7s coach, knows his stuff. If not Reynolds I'd like to see another guy with coaching experience as the comments man. For example: the analysis of Eddie Jones would be top stuff.

T

TOCC

I wouldnt care if Wendell got in there and did a bit of commentating, you wouldnt have him as the primary commentator, Brendan Cannon doesnt fill that role either... You need someone like Gordon Bray or Ray Warren(purely a example) as the the 'no bullshit' commentator in the middle.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Hasn't the Dell bagged rugby since returning?

He can fuck right off...

Adam Freier? That would assume he won't be fit enough to play...
Dell hasn't really bagged it at all, nor has Tuqiri. Rogers whinged ad nauseam about how soft it was after he went back. I don't think any of them would cut it as a real commentator, but Dell is certainly the most likely of the leaugies, maybe as a sideline role.
Freier would be good in some capacity - very thoughtful comments generally.
NOT Ray Warren, who is far too shouty.
Eales has a bad commentating voice (sorry, but it's true) but Gregan could be decent.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I went to a rugby lunch last year where the Big Dell was one of the speakers. He spoke very well and is very proud of what he achieved in rugby.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I say Al Baxter, Matt Burke and GordonBray. I refute that rugby in Australia can be watched without him..

Sent from my HTC Legend using Tapatalk

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Dell hasn't really bagged it at all, nor has Tuqiri. Rogers whinged ad nauseam about how soft it was after he went back. I don't think any of them would cut it as a real commentator, but Dell is certainly the most likely of the leaugies, maybe as a sideline role.
Freier would be good in some capacity - very thoughtful comments generally.
NOT Ray Warren, who is far too shouty.
Eales has a bad commentating voice (sorry, but it's true) but Gregan could be decent.

its not so much as he bagged rugby as accused them of not supporting him when he tested positive, even though he tried to maintain the lie he had never taken anything until the last with his then employers.

he then went back to league who seemed fine with him helping kids while serving his suspension, like channel nine, who seem to confuse popularity with dickheads.

adam frier would be good.
i actually think scott staniforth could be a goer in calling the backs action.
throw in some stooge of a play by play, i dont really care if there not rugby related as long as they have nothing to do with league and bring back chris handy on the sideline.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Gordon Bray ?? - I hate people who digress.

On a more serious note: I have watched the Hong Kong Bledisloe with three different commentary teams and Bray was excellent by comparison. The others weren't bad either including the Kiwi commentators, TJ and Kamo, who were superbly neutral. The absence of the condescension of Nesbitt and the Kiwi silliness of Mexted enhanced enjoyment of the game, though perhaps not to Kiwis, who enjoy their team being praised at all costs.

There was nothing wrong with FoxSports either, but so long as Bray stops telling us that somebody's uncle won the bronze medal in the shotput in the 1990 Commonwealth Games, he is very good.

His combination of knowledge of both the game and the laws are the best of any main commentator I have experienced, and like Miles Harrison of SkySports, he does his rugby homework, something that Messrs Kearns and Martin should attend to. Add Mexted in there too: talk about hooters and coming up a bloke's backside are hilarious but they are no substitute for commentary on what actually happened.

But I digress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom