• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Channel 9 continues the tradition of absymal free to air rugby coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

redsfanatic

Peter Burge (5)
that's disgraceful
if the ARU expects the game to grow they need to make sure at least the Wallabies tests are on live free-to-air

T

TOCC

that's disgraceful
if the ARU expects the game to grow they need to make sure at least the Wallabies tests are on live free-to-air

What do you suggest, the broadcasters dictate what the broadcast on there own channels, not even the AFL/NRL are able to hold the broadcasters to there bidding..

Just ask the AFL about the International Rules series been canned

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
What do you suggest, the broadcasters dictate what the broadcast on there own channels, not even the AFL/NRL are able to hold the broadcasters to there bidding..

The ARU has the power to award the broadcast rights to someone else.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

I don't think you followed the AFL negotiations... because that's exactly what happened...

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Rugby is a minor sport in the states where the match is being shown live. It's pretty much non existant outside of NSW / QLD / ACT. If you can't justify the expense of Foxtel, there are plenty of pubs and clubs that will show the match live.

I'm with fatprop - Foxtel do a great job of broadcasting the rugby. Entire Super Rugby was live, and more importantly, uninterrupted. I couldn't believe they go to an advert during origin whenever something happens. Fox have a HD channel showing the Rugby World Cup 24x7 - can't wait

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Rugby is a minor sport in the states where the match is being shown live. It's pretty much non existant outside of NSW / QLD / ACT. If you can't justify the expense of Foxtel, there are plenty of pubs and clubs that will show the match live.

I'm with fatprop - Foxtel do a great job of broadcasting the rugby. Entire Super Rugby was live, and more importantly, uninterrupted. I couldn't believe they go to an advert during origin whenever something happens. Fox have a HD channel showing the Rugby World Cup 24x7 - can't wait

Never, ever trust the opinion of a sharks supporter in Gold. :)

But I agree, Fox is the go. Plus you get all the games on ESPN and Eurosport. Lots of rugby.

It's expensive but worth it.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Moses - a new major stat has arrived, and one I am thrilled about (for all of Aus rugby's future), namely: the Reds v Cru GF on Saturday achieved the biggest ever audience - 518,000 - for a sports event in the history of Pay TV in Australia, man this is a major development, and this figure is materially understated as it does not include either (a) records and watch later via IQ and (b) Foxtel to pubs, clubs etc.

Not only are those sorts of figures likely to have big sponsors salivating for a piece of these higher-end demography eyeballs, but over the next TV rights buying cycle, these levels (if continued) could just pull free to air TV back into the game. Just add to this the fact that the ground atmosphere was phenomenal and this largely came through on the Foxtel broadcast. TV buyers know that really good sports spectacles with full, cheering stadia drive viewer engagement and repeat use.

(PS - Great to meet you on Saturday, thanks for making the trip up, I had the sense that you somewhat enjoyed yourself. :yay )

redsfanatic

Peter Burge (5)
Rugby is a minor sport, it will never get decent coverage on free to air, never

Even NRL & AFL fans complain about free to air

As a rugby fan in Aus, Foxtel is the only option and their service is damn good

I have foxtel and i like the service but...

all fans should be able to enjoy the wallabies games and some just can't afford foxtel

T

TOCC

I don't think you followed the AFL negotiations... because that's exactly what happened...

Except under 50% of AFL are still not shown on FTA and only 33% will be shown live on FTA..
Say what you like but to achieve 'optimal' results, 100% of matches would be live, on FTA and in the main channel...

It's a game of give and take and the AFL has to give a little up to the broadcasters as well.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Moses - a new major stat has arrived, and one I am thrilled about (for all of Aus rugby's future), namely: the Reds v Cru GF on Saturday achieved the biggest ever audience - 518,000 - for a sports event in the history of Pay TV in Australia, man this is a major development, and this figure is materially understated as it does not include either (a) records and watch later via IQ and (b) Foxtel to pubs, clubs etc.

Agree that the figure was much higher. I have Foxtel at home but as I work at Thredbo on weekends I had to go to one of the bars in the village to watch the final. The place was packed, there would have been around 100 people in the small bar watching the two screens. That was just one venue in Thredbo, the game was on at a number of places.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Except under 50% of AFL are still not shown on FTA and only 33% will be shown live on FTA..
Say what you like but to achieve 'optimal' results, 100% of matches would be live, on FTA and in the main channel...

It's a game of give and take and the AFL has to give a little up to the broadcasters as well.

All the FTA games must now be shown live from next year, which was a condition set down by the AFL... but this is also a club competition with 17 teams...

So it's rugby equivalent would be SupeRugby which has zero FTA matches...

I would've thought that in the interest of the sport the ARU would've had a condition of showing Wallaby matches live (at least 'live' with commercial breaks thrown in) in its renewed broadcast deal...

Nothing has changed going from Channel 7 to Channel 9... I fear for the World Cup as its early stages clash with NRL Finals...

Will the FTA viewers in the Sydney and Brisbane metro markets now received delayed telecasts as 9 favours its flagship sport?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So who wants to pay for my Foxtel subscription?

People who want to watch all the S15 matches, all the tri nations matches, all the Wallaby NH tour tests, most of the ABs & SA home and tour tests and all the RWC matches, live.

It is the only reason to get the thing

Status
Not open for further replies.