• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Channel 9 continues the tradition of absymal free to air rugby coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
My girlfriend loves the Tom Baker Dr Who and I just want to kill Sarah Jane

Yeah, she's up there in the annoying stakes. I just love how hammy it all is, and how cheap the production is. It's gold.

W

Wooden Horse

TV logic (oxymoron)

Huh? How is the ARU meant to promote something they have no rights to?

Are you suggesting the ARU should set up an illegal stream on their website. I'm sure that would be great for Australian Rugby.

I think comparing a RWC that is hosted in Australia compared to one hosted overseas is apples and oranges. Of course there was a lot more excitement from the general public regarding the RWC on Australian soil.

I think every rugby fan would like to see more games shown on Channel 9. Most of us can understand the reasons why there aren't. The IRB's interest is to make money from the TV rights. Channel 9's interest is to get the best ratings from the material they have which seemingly means they aren't interested in showing many/any non-Aussie pool games.

The ARU's interest is irrelevant because they have nothing to sell. The ARU's one and only concern with the RWC is that the Wallabies do as well as possible because that is the only thing they have any control over which will help boost the interest in rugby union in Australia.

Think before you whinge.

You say re the success of the Oz RWC TV ratings,
‘...RWC that is hosted in Australia compared to one hosted overseas is apples and oranges. Of course there was a lot more excitement from the general public regarding the RWC on Australian soil'.’

The Soccer World Cups (NOT ON AUSTRALIAN SOIL & AROUND THE SAME TIMINGS AS THIS NZ RWC) had good TV coverage followed by good ratings. While soccer has more registered players, it has nothing like the success of the Wallabies in terms of the status their opposition, i.e. against top world seeded teams & they barely make their World Cups.

You say, ‘Channel 9's interest is to get the best ratings from the material they have which seemingly means they aren't interested in showing many/any non-Aussie pool games.’

‘SEEMINGLY MEANS’?!!...that’s the basis of your acceptance and understanding your grand statement ‘Most of us can understand the reasons why there aren't’

Simply accepting what CH9, or any networks, choosers to serve up & justify for its obvious business aim is lazy & self defeatist. REMEMBER, despite all their ‘SEEMINGLY’ bright business decisions on sport coverage…Ch9s’ ratings & sport viewing has been plummeting for years for most, if not all, it sports televising.

Again this was Ch9’s opportunity to regain it long lost sports credentials! So far, it continues to fail.

Which brings me back to the good old boys…the ARU. No one, but you, is suggesting that ARU might have to promote rugby by televising it or controlling the programming.

Some ARU facts of their aims & responsibilities (& remember, READ IT)

ARU’S official VISION FOR AUSTRALIAN RUGBY

FOR Australia to be a real and respected world power in Rugby on an ongoing basis, displaying innovation, integrity, professionalism and teamwork, through Australian Rugby:
• Developing substantially more mass entertainment presence domestically and internationally;
• + other aims

ARU do your job … lobby Ch9 to improve their coverage & ask their own Wallaby Sponsors to join them (Vodafone and Bundaberg Rum -> big TV advertisers).

So again good game coverage worked for the Oz RWC, got good ratings & heightened interest in RU......& for this RWC, this would successfully be the Opening ceremony and all games where BOTH TEAMS are from high seeded Nth & Sth hemisphere nations. Either live, & where not possible short 1/2-1hr delay....all other games covered in a 1hr highlights package, later in the evening.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
dear Wooden Horse,
you have missed the point entirely. The law is that Australian games must be shown live or near of on a commercial network unless an application has been made and approved to move it to a digital channel (aus ireland will be on gem).

The ARU dont have the rights to sell this tournament, the IRB sell it directly to the highest bidder in each country. In australia that was Nine, By securing the most money when the IRB divides checks up for the playing countries it means they get more money.

You have no idea if the ARU is lobbying or not, They are not going to come out and say they hate channel nine when they want channel nine to feature and talk highly of a product they have on there station that they want people to watch. The smart bussiness thing to do from the ARU is to nudge from behind the scene without talking down or pissing off nine that then could pull coverage from there news, other sports shows and advertising due to the bad relationship.

and lastly, Channel ( did not buy the rights to relaunch there sports reputation, the cricket is the top rating sport in summer and Rugby league rates its pants off all winter, they dont need union, they basically saw that it was a bargin cos no one else wanted it either. there relying on the wallabies performing to get ratings at the back end of the comp to make there money back and hopefully turn a profit.

as was said earlier, im a mad union supporter but the reality is sticking shit against a wall doesnt mean people are going to stop and take a look.

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
I emailed those pricks at the ARU because really, they allowed this to happen. ABSOLUTE DISGRACE!!
I cant find any match on channel nine from tues to thurs and 3 games over the weekend

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
The average punter will be more interested in Wests Tigers vs St George or Geelong vs Hawthorn than the opening game of the RWC.

Most of those who want to see the rugby live will either have Foxtel already or go somewhere that does.

I must shamefully admit that I'm going to ANZ Stadium tomorrow night to watch my beloved Tigers. I'll definitely be watching the ABs and Tonga when I get home though.

Well you wont change things if they can never see it

B

BRIX

Braveheart81must shamefully admit that I'm going to ANZ Stadium tomorrow night to watch my beloved Tigers. I'll definitely be watching the ABs and Tonga when I get home though.[/QUOTE said:
No shame in that at all Braveheart. Carn you Tiges!

...Ok now, back to rugby :fishing

Apostle

Peter Burge (5)
Just looking into that now. Seems pretty good, anyone know what the quality is like?

It's good, barbar. I tried it out over the Super finals, and was pleasantly surprised. I haven't seen it side-by-side with regular fox, but I don't think there is any noticeable difference in quality, but I guess maybe that depends on your net speed.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
i asked a friend back home what kind of coverage the RWC was getting in canada. his reply "fantastic, click on the link http://tsn.ca/rugby/feature/?id=47571 "

basically every single game.

that's on a free to air channel. most games are on tsn2, the 'gem' equivalent, but a heap are on the main channel.

thanks channel 9!

A

Army_Gav

Argies vs Poms is LIVE also tomorrow night at 6:30pm on GEM in Melbourne!

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
can't continue the good fight anymore, wide world of flogs banned me. they get pissy over any mention of len downs (melbourne programming manager/eddie's chief flog) who is basically the person responsible for not showing any league or union games in melbourne.

Status
Not open for further replies.