• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Channel 9 continues the tradition of absymal free to air rugby coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
It would be more effective if the email campaign is directed straight to Channel 9. I have a friend who works in the broadcasting area of Conroy's department and he's the poor bloke who will have to draft the letters responding to the emails - he said to me that there's nothing much the government can do if Nine is operating within the regulations.

There was a recent example where Channel 10 was planning to delay coverage of a Formula 1 race and Mark Webber tweeted something along the lines that it was poor form and it generated a flood of responses. Ten ended up reversing the decision, so it might be worthwhile if some of the well-known Wallaby tweeters like Quade Cooper make similar comments about Nine.
Nine need exemption from the government in order to broadcast the game LIVE on GEM.

Telegraph article states they'd be willing to do it.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
My email to Conroy
Good Afternoon,

I'm emailing in relation to Channel Nine's coverage of the Rugby test match between Australia and Scotland, in Newcastle on Tuesday June 05.

Due to anti-siphoning laws, Nine are unable to broadcast the match live on a secondary digital channel. However as per the Rugby World Cup last year, Nine applied for an exemption to these laws and was able to broadcast games live on GEM.

According to this article today, in the Daily Telegraph (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ns-and-the-block/story-fn8ti7yn-1226375699922), Nine would be willing to show the test match on GEM with the appropriate exemption to the laws. However as indicated in the article, this process does take some time and would not be completed in the necessary time frame for Tuesday night.

I'd like to request that you fast track this process and allow Nine to broadcast this game, LIVE and nationally.

I believe that every Australian should have the right to watch their national team, LIVE on Free To Air television, with the best means necessary. Opposed to an outrageous delay of 3 hours.

I hope you can action this and allow Nine to broadcast this game for the betterment of Rugby and our great sporting nation.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The previous article about Channel 9 indicates that they haven't applied for permission to air the game live on GEM because they consider it too late for Conroy's department to approve it.

I guess if Conroy was quoted in the press as saying that they just have to ask and approval will be given straight away it would probably have an impact.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
I received from 9 (at least someone speaking on their behalf) on the Wide World of Sports Facebook page.
Hi Matt, the mid-week Scotland Test was not part of Nine's original Wallabies broadcast contract. That match was added to the Wallabies schedule later, and Nine only recently picked up the free-to-air rights. Being a Tuesday night the plan was to show the match live on GEM but anti-syphoning laws say that the match must be shown on our primary channel, which is why it will be a delayed broadcast. The Wales Tests will be live.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
IIRR, the Scotland Test was announced months ago. So why did it take so long for the negotiations to be completed? So long that Nine could conveniently say that it wouldn’t be able to get approval to show the Scotland Test on Go or GEM.

Besides, if the Scotland Test wasn’t part of the original contract between the ARU and Nine, were there any clauses in the contract that prevented the ARU from offering the Test to another broadcaster? If not, the ARU should have offered it elsewhere. SBS did a pretty good job with the Wales Spring Tour Test so they could have been an option. Sure, they may have lost some $$$ doing that, but would it not be better for the game to be on live free to air somewhere, rather than getting more $$$ and having the late night delayed broadcast?

As an aside, I hope Seven gets the NRL rights as they have done a sensible thing with the AFL by having the games on its secondary channels in NSW and QLD. So if you are keen to watch then you are not disadvantaged by not living in an AFL-mad state. With the NRL they could do the reverse rather than not broadcast the games or stick it on late night like Nine does. It would then be interesting to see what Nine would then fill its schedule with.

If not, Seven should, at least, make a big bid for the rights so Nine pay through the nose for them adding to the debt burden of their private equity owners.:D

Garry Owen

Chris McKivat (8)
Reruns of Two and Half Men and Big Bang Theory. Surely there is not nearly enough of these yet.

I've heard it's the Lara Bingle show. After she got shafted by Aussie Rules, she's now hand balling the shafting on to us. Thanks darling.

I'm officially taping over your 'home movie'.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I've heard it's the Lara Bingle show. After she got shafted by Aussie Rules, she's now hand balling the shafting on to us. Thanks darling.

I'm officially taping over your 'home movie'.
Don't worry Garry, Lara's show starts the following week. I'm crossing the days off on my calendar...

kronic

John Solomon (38)
No LIVE coverage on GEM this Saturday night, outside of NSW/QLD. Nine scum at it once again. Screwing fans!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No LIVE coverage on GEM this Saturday night, outside of NSW/QLD. Nine scum at it once again. Screwing fans!

ARU has to take the blame here. They should've known what to expect when handing the FTA rights over to 9 with a league agenda. I haven't even seen any adverts.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I actually think Fox has a lot to do with it. They don't want the FTA coverage taking away from their offering, that's why they on sold the rights to 9. But it's a business, I would do the same.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Please don't express your displeasure only on this website. Write to Channel Nine, the IRB, the ARU, the newspapers, the ACMA, Free TV Australia, etc.

I posted that during the RWC last year.

Please delete the IRB from, but add Senator Conroy to, the list.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Don't just send it to Conway. Send it to the Shadow Minister for Comms, Malcolm Turnbull as well.

malcolm.turnbull.MP (Moana Pasifika)@aph.gov.au

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hey guys, I seriously haven't been around for ages and have been super busy but I just decided to see when the test was on tonight and copped a big kick to the balls from channel 9 again! That's it. I'm boycotting those fuckers and I'm letting them know that I'm removing their channels from my TV (actually removing them from the presets). Fuck them.

P.s. I missed this. Hope you're all well.

Status
Not open for further replies.