• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cheerio Deans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
The reality is that Deans' record as Wallaby coach is neither great nor terrible. In an era where between 35 and 40% of our test matches are against NZ and South Africa, the sort of winning record Deans produced is likely to be similar to coaches before and after him.

Where people feel most disappointed by Deans in my view is that firstly, we had a terrible habit of losing to lowly ranked teams and probably moreso, fans felt that the Wallabies had one of their more talented rosters in recent years and we never achieved anything great with it.

With the exception perhaps of the 'Grand Slam' Team, Jones, Connolly and Deans squandered a spread of talent that Australian Rugby may not see again... (with barely a Pewter Mug in the trophy cabinet to show for it)... I think that is what brown's off most of his critics. I can recall watching Wallaby Teams under Jones & Deans, who played like they had never met each other before the game...

T

Train Without a Station

Until the RWC, the errors of Deans teams could be forgiven. By the time he departed he'd been in the job for 6 years. He had dealt with almost a generation of Wallabies and had time to put systems, etc. in place to maximize their performance for the Wallabies. The fact that barring anomaly bad then good years in 2009 and 2010, he achieved steadily on par or below what Connolly who was heavily criticized, had achieved was an indication he wasn't the right coach to get the best out of the Wallabies.

You can't keep blaming injuries for half a decade. Over that time you need to ensure you have developed test qualities players in every position. Many of Deans issues with injuries stemmed to his own poor management and selection. If he had managed to convince George Smith to play on for one season further, he would have been a huge factor at the RWC for example. Instead we lost our only 7 and were already carrying an injured 8 if I recall correctly.

in 2014 Link deserves a little leniency due to the number of injuries we have had (e.g. our FOUR first choice hookers). By 2015 and 2016 that will run out.

Reactions: BDA

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Robbie's legacy as wallabies coach would have been better if he had been sacked after the 2011 RWC. He did a decent job up-to that point, made some poor selection and tactical decisions at the world cup that cost us, but a 3rd place finish and a Tri-nations victory (albeit in a cup year) was ok. The team really didn't get any better in 2012-2013 and it was a slow death for Robbie and the fans.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Robbie's legacy as wallabies coach would have been better if he had been sacked after the 2011 RWC.

Agreed. There's a certain amount of blame that is unfairly levelled at Deans for having his contract extended.

It seems similar to people blaming John O'Neill for getting such a big payout on leaving the ARU.

These people don't write their own cheques and appoint themselves. The ARU board has made some shocking decisions in recent years but have somehow managed to have all the blame heaped on the people they appoint or re-appoint rather than on them for making those decisions.

T

Train Without a Station

One point that has been glossed over a lot is Deans comments about a Nathan Sharpe lead, senior players meeting after the 2012 fixture versus Argentina on the Gold Coast. Apparently Quade Cooper was unhappy with being the focus of a lot of this.

Now this is going to be an unpopular view here, but who the fuck is Nathan Sharpe to be calling out Quade Cooper on his errors in that game? For the majority of his career, I put up with watching this bloke shirk in tight, throw stupid fucking cut out passes to nobody (You're a lock for fucks sake!) and seagull more than Michael Hooper and Scott Higginbotham combined, just with about 1/10th of the impact. Also gave away his share of stupid boneheaded penalties too. So because he's suddenly put together a decent season of international performances at 30+ years of age when the cupboard is bare he's calling out a bloke in his early 20s for an error strewn game? That'll fucking do me.

T

Train Without a Station

Simmons with talent highly overrates Sharpe. He was rightly dropped in Deans early years for the exact reasons I noted. He had a great year or two at the back end of his career and people remembering him as if he played like that for 15 years.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Shit stirring a little bit TWAS. I'm well aware you're one of the Simmons fans, and you don't rate Sharpe at the same level a lot do.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
One point that has been glossed over a lot is Deans comments about a Nathan Sharpe lead, senior players meeting after the 2012 fixture versus Argentina on the Gold Coast. Apparently Quade Cooper was unhappy with being the focus of a lot of this.

Now this is going to be an unpopular view here, but who the fuck is Nathan Sharpe to be calling out Quade Cooper on his errors in that game? For the majority of his career, I put up with watching this bloke shirk in tight, throw stupid fucking cut out passes to nobody (You're a lock for fucks sake!) and seagull more than Michael Hooper and Scott Higginbotham combined, just with about 1/10th of the impact. Also gave away his share of stupid boneheaded penalties too. So because he's suddenly put together a decent season of international performances at 30+ years of age when the cupboard is bare he's calling out a bloke in his early 20s for an error strewn game? That'll fucking do me.
I'm not sure of your point.
Is it that there is no place for leadership groups calling out players for dumb shit.
Or just that Sharpe should never have been in any such leadership group?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Sounds like there might be a queue to get Dingo's book.

I think I'll wait until the local library gets a copy.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm not sure of your point.
Is it that there is no place for leadership groups calling out players for dumb shit.
Or just that Sharpe should never have been in any such leadership group?

I took it as it was relating to on field stuff. My point is Nathan Sharpe doesn't have any place calling players out for poor on-field decision making, or not completing ones role as it repeatedly saw him dropped.

I could be wrong with regards to the subject of the meeting, in which case I retract my statement.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I took it as it was relating to on field stuff. My point is Nathan Sharpe doesn't have any place calling players out for poor on-field decision making, or not completing ones role as it repeatedly saw him dropped.

I could be wrong with regards to the subject of the meeting, in which case I retract my statement.
Sharpe was the captain though, so weather he should or not it's his "job" so to speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)

A player like Sharpe, who's often felt the consequence of poor on-field decision making, or not completing ones role by getting dropped, is the perfect person to call it out in others. Especially if they don't see those consequences as applying to them.

The man was captain anyway. If he couldn't do it then who could?

T

Train Without a Station

So you subscribe to the "Do as I say, not as I do" method of leadership?

My point is if you want to rip into other people, you should be beyond reproach when you were in their position. Sharpe was not.

T

Train Without a Station

A player like Sharpe, who's often felt the consequence of poor on-field decision making, or not completing ones role by getting dropped, is the perfect person to call it out in others. Especially if they don't see those consequences as applying to them.

The man was captain anyway. If he couldn't do it then who could?

It's one thing to take a young player aside, have a quiet word and pass on some knowledge. It's another to make them the focal point of a team meeting discussing shortcomings.

T

Train Without a Station

Well considering Quade had shown major improvement as a player at the Reds from 2012 - prior to these events, it appeared to have been working.

Status
Not open for further replies.