• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Chris hickey - greatest coach of 2010 (and other awards)

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Hickey named Australian Super 14 Coach of the Year

http://www.waratahs.com.au/MediaExt...ckeynamedAustralianSuper14CoachoftheYear.aspx
Wednesday, 26 May 2010
NSWRU Media Unit

HSBC Waratahs head coach Chris Hickey has won the Australian Super 14 Coach of the Year Award for the second year running.

Hickey guided the Tahs to a 9-4 win-loss record for the second straight season, however an improved attacking game helped the team to third place on the Super 14 ladder and a semi-final appearance.

Along the way NSW defeated all other Australian franchises and finished the season ahead of all other Australian and New Zealand teams.

After receiving the award, Hickey deflected praise to his staff and players as well as the other Australian Super 14 coaches.

"This is really an award for the team and their achievements this season, as it was last year as well," said Hickey. "Over the last two years there has been a lot of change in terms of playing personnel and at the start of 2009 there was a complete change in coaching staff too so to maintain a high level of performance under those circumstances is extremely pleasing.

"On the whole I think it's been a fantastic season for Australian teams in the Super 14 even though no sides are in the final this weekend. Next year six teams will be in the playoffs and if that system was in effect in 2010 we would have had three teams in contention.

"Ewen McKenzie did a fantastic job with the Reds this year - they were without doubt the most improved team in the competition. Andy Friend had the Brumbies still in contention going into the last round and after a horrible run of injuries the Force under John Mitchell showed what they were capable of at the back end of the season."

Hickey said that with preparations beginning soon ahead of the first year of the expanded competition in 2011, Tahs fans could expect another strong showing.

"There's been a lot of change in the last two years, and from 2009 to 2010 alone we lost 11 players from the Super 14 squad, six of whom were Wallabies," said Hickey. "We feel we recruited strongly in the off-season, but that much change requires time to jell, and the more time the team has together the better this team will become."

Kurtley Beale and Drew Mitchell were placed in the top five in the Player of the Year category which was won by Queensland's Quade Cooper, with the Reds No.10 also winning the Try of the Year category.

NSW lock Kane Douglas was a finalist the Rookie of the Year after playing all 14 matches in his debut year, including 13 in the starting XV, however the award went to Warringah and Brumbies back Pat McCabe.

NSW whistleblower Stuart Dickinson won the Referee of the Year Award for the fourth straight year.

2010 AUSTRALIAN SUPER 14 AWARDS
Player of the Year
22 Quade Cooper (Reds)
21 Will Genia (Reds)
15 James O'Connor (Western Force)
12 Kurtley Beale (HSBC Waratahs)
11 Drew Mitchell (HSBC Waratahs)

Coach of the Year
Chris Hickey (HSBC Waratahs)

Rookie of the Year
Pat McCabe (Brumbies)

Try of the Year
Quade Cooper (Reds)

Referee of the Year
Stuart Dickinson (NSW)

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
may, link didnt recruit or anything, he just did his best with otherpeoples parts, not fussed about that.

douglas not getting rookie of the year, thats a shocker.

Sagerian

Allen Oxlade (6)
James O'Connor the 3rd best Australian player in the super 14? And of course they're all backs.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
waratahjesus said:
may, link didnt recruit or anything, he just did his best with otherpeoples parts, not fussed about that.

You're right, Hickey did a great job -Jowitt, Roodt, Anesi

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Wtf? Seriously, W.T.F?

How on earth could they go to Hickey over McKenzie? And McCabe over Douglas (hmm which came from obscurity to wallaby 'probable'?...)

I assume ref of the year was between Stu and Steve? More a 'least fail' than 'best' I'd have said...

Let's face it, it's also slightly dubious to give QC (Quade Cooper) player of the year over Genia, and no way he was twice as good as QC (Quade Cooper) but I guess voting was pretty even over Tahs backline (since forwards are not included in this vote).

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think McKenzie should get more respect, rather than less, for having to work with the previous staffs recruitment.

Imagine how well his plan will take place when he has the cattle he wants. It's no coincidence some academy players played 3 or 4 games and some squad players played 1 or 2 (or less). He didn't have his cattle he wanted and he STILL did well.

Good on him. Hickey has his strengths and weaknesses as a coach. He isn't awful but certainly not Aussie coach of the year. Even Friendy pipped him in my mind (blooding McCabe and Christian L to 12 was genius).

T

TOCC

Hickey won because it went to the coach who's team finished highest overall

Ultimately I think Link deserved it for the improvement in QLD

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Is that a rule? If so, I assume they don't have a panel or voting system?

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
If the Waratahs had won the competition we'd all (well maybe not quite all) be eating humble pie and toasting Chris Hickey as coach of the season. The Waratahs did improve this year, but not by as much as the Reds, so I would go for McKenzie. If it is just down to which team finished higher, then there is no debate.

Kane Douglas is absolutely the rookie of the year for me.

Will Genia is player of the season.

Can we have a couple more polls please - so we can have an official G&GR list of awards?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The only award I agreed with was Cooper, but it was good to have hickey explain basic rugby principles to the panel.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Beats me how link didn't win it.

Douglas, McCabe and Shatz would of all been worthy winners for rookie of the year.

Sharpe should of been alot higher up in the rankings for player of the year.

D

Doc

waratahjesus said:

You just defeated you own argument. Link DIDN'T get to build a group he wanted. He got hand a bunch of 13th/wooden spooners and moulded them into 5th. The fact he got the team so late is a massive plus for this award not a minus.

Really dumb that it goes to highest ranked teams coach automatically.

Actually the award should probably have gone to Matt Taylor.

B

Burkey_The_Dog

Quade Cooper is an excellent example of how a reformed criminal can make a contribution to society.

Sagerian

Allen Oxlade (6)
Is the complete list of votes about somewhere? I'm honestly shocked that Benn Robinson appears nowhere on this player of the year list.

Burkey_The_Dog said:
Quade Cooper is an excellent example of how a reformed criminal can make a contribution to society.
:lmao: Careful there Burkey, spouting off facts like that could get you threatened with defamation again.

Status
Not open for further replies.