• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Citing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
So, has citing been abandoned by the IRB? In the dying stages in Honkers, there were two high tackles (McCaw on O'Connor, Donald on AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)) and a blatant penalty in front of the posts that Rollaind reached to his pocket for but the Wob's played on quickly.

If Australia had lost we'd all be screaming blue murder about this. This isn't like Scarfie's video or the anti-McCaw threads. The penalties were obvious and two of them were penalised. Yet no-one gets cited.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Donald's tackle looked rough, but I've only seen long-shot replays. Anyone see this one up close?

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Citings are strictly limited to red card offences. I expect the citing commissioner decided that they were yellow at most.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'd say I was surprised that nothing came of it but I'm really not. Especially considering Rolaind went for the pocket on at least one occasion before deciding that the stoppage would've negated advantage (or something).

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Citings are strictly limited to red card offences. I expect the citing commissioner decided that they were yellow at most.

No they're not. Recall Mumm's barge into Saia Fainga'a's back in the Reds/Tahs match earlier this year. Got a yellow for his troubles and then copped a suspension after being cited. There was another similar incident during the year I can't be bothered finding.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Groucho, no doubt that's right. To me, the AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) hit by Donald just looked like a crap tackle, not a deliberate high hit.

Edit: Or maybe not.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
No they're not. Recall Mumm's barge into Saia Fainga'a's back in the Reds/Tahs match earlier this year. Got a yellow for his troubles and then copped a suspension after being cited. There was another similar incident during the year I can't be bothered finding.

Citings are only for offences that the citing commissioner considers should have been Red Cards. There is no such thing as a retrospective Yellow Card. Both late offences were Yellow Cards IMO - so no citing. I thought it was good refereeing from AR to play on quickly - I think the Wallabies would agree.

All the incidents raised above were considered to be Red Card offences by the Commissioner.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

That's because the citing commissioner decided it was a red card offence.

Ham

Sydney Middleton (9)
Bakkies only got a yellow for his head butt. The commisioner gave him 9 weeks.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd say I was surprised that nothing came of it but I'm really not. Especially considering Rolaind went for the pocket on at least one occasion before deciding that the stoppage would've negated advantage (or something).

Would it have been possible for the referee to do 'retrospective' yellow cards in that situation after JOC (James O'Connor)'s try and before THAT goal was kicked?

It'd be a way of telling them that no such play is to be tolerated in any situation...and perhaps the citing commissioner might take more of a notice then...

Also those yellow carded would suffer the indignity of doing the walk of shame in the spotlight whilst their team mates are somewhat incognito in the huddle behind the goal line...

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)

The Myth was cited last year for a cheap shot on George Smith in Tokyo & missed the 1st game of the NH tour.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Another question - if we'd kept recycling and NZ had kept flagrantly giving away pens / high shots / anything to disrupt the Good Guy, how close to a penalty try should Rolland have been, considering the flow of YCs that were happening?

Or would it have had to have been a particular instance where you know a try would have otherwise have been scored (open to interp)?

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
A penalty try can only be given where a try would have probably been scored. The wallabies were pushing it in the last few rucks as well, i think it was more that NZ were going for illegitimate turnovers. If it kept going, eventually the Wallabies would of given away a penalty.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
The Myth was cited last year for a cheap shot on George Smith in Tokyo & missed the 1st game of the NH tour.

Yes, the citing commissioner determined it to be a red card offence. :)

People are listing examples of people who have been cited and suspended after receiving a yellow. This is because the citing commissioner is overruling the referee.

Citings are strictly limited to red card offences.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
The Myth was also cited for his yellow-carded shoulder charge into Saia Fainga'a's back nowhere near the ruck in full view of the ref.

Oh wait... :nta:

Status
Not open for further replies.