• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Club Players with potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
You and I must be watching different players. This guy has the highest workrate in the Uni team. He had 55 involvements in his last outing and all of them quality. He does a lot of dirty work and you have to watch closely, but believe me, he's there. Next time you watch Uni (next week maybe?) just focus on him for 10 -15 mins and tell me if you think differently

The bloke plays Australian sevens if he has no workrate no one in the game has a workrate.

Cyril Towers (30)
Grant looked good again for Eastwood

Grant is a quality player and a great finisher. He has a few deficiencies in defence and his kicking game can let him down, but I suspect that these are all problems he can overcome. He has been offered pro academy spots (most recently at the Brumbies) but keeps knocking them back. Presumably he thinks there is something better out there. I think he needs to get into a program, work at his game and prove that he is worthy of promotion.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I won't tell you about the winger the Tahs are buying from NZ then.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...as-waratahs-look-overseas-20100829-13xpt.html

''We're looking possibly more at a foreign developing player,'' Hickey said. ''We're looking at the [National Provincial Championship in New Zealand]. A couple of New Zealand wingers have really impressed us.

''You have to look at your backyard first. But at the same time, you have to keep an eye on the ITM Cup [NPC]. We would like to close this off in the next fortnight.

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...as-waratahs-look-overseas-20100829-13xpt.html

''We're looking possibly more at a foreign developing player,'' Hickey said.

Given it won't be a "marquee" player, rather a developing player, I guess they're comparing the likes of John Grant with some of the starting back three players in NPC footy. The kiwis seem to keep bringing through the likes of Jane, Gear, Guildford, Sweeney, Ranger, Masaga, Ben Smith, David Smith, Ellison, Freuen, Maitland from NPC to S14 and sometimes Tests each year, it will be interesting to see if they can find someone who might either slip through the cracks or get to them before the draft.

Anyone been keeping a close eye on NPC?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
My only hope for Grant is that he isn't brought into a franchise and then forgotten at the academy level. Bring him in when he's ready, even if that means sending him for a Currie Cup or ITM season.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Na, Ben Smith plays for Otago.

The Southland guy is a relative no-namer I think, which is why he would be feasible for a poaching. If he continues his form he will play for the Highlanders though.

R

rugby_man

I hope they look at the guy that played 15 for Southland this weekend, he was awesome. Very Pat McCabe-esc.

Might you be talking about Robbie Robinson? Blonde hair and is only 21 years of age. He is definitely a class act. Part of Junior All Blacks who won the Under 20 World Cup last year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I hope they look at the guy that played 15 for Southland this weekend, he was awesome. Very Pat McCabe-esc.

Southland
Glen Horton, Tony Koonwaiyou, Kendrick Lynn, Matt Saunders, Mark Wells, Robbie Robinson, Scott Cowan, Elliot Dixon, Tim Boys, John Hardie, Joe Tuineau, Josh Bekhuis, Chris King, Jason Rutledge, Jamie Mackintosh (captain)
Reserves: Brayden Mitchell, Nic Barrett, Kane Thompson, Dion Bates, Nick Annear, Seminar Manu, Pehi Te Whare

Horton?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeah it would be Glen Horton. He took it to the line with intent and has clearly done the miles off the field, he looked explosive.

Robbie Robbinson was playing 10 for Southland this weekend and to be honest I don't really believe the hype about him too much. Fine player but I can't see him becoming a superstar.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeah it would be Glen Horton. He took it to the line with intent and has clearly done the miles off the field, he looked explosive.

Robbie Robbinson was playing 10 for Southland this weekend and to be honest I don't really believe the hype about him too much. Fine player but I can't see him becoming a superstar.

I didn't think Horton was a no-name. I believe he is in his late 20s and had been in and out of S14 over the past 6-7years.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
The ARU would probably not allow him to be signed as a development player if he is in his late 20's.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Rather than create a new thread I thought I'd just dig this one up.

A years past since the last post, and I would say over half (probably quite a bit more) of the names mentioned in this thread have been signed in some way shape or form for next provincial season. Seems the brains trust are pretty astute judges of talent.

Who do you all rate as the top unsigned prospects going forward?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Well few Easts boys who I rate very highly include Dom Fuller (halfback) who recently trialled with the Force and Toby White (Outside Center)

Both been very great for the past few seasons and have potential to play a higher level.

Captain Luke Bertini (flanker) has been amazing for Easts. Brutal in defence and attack and very agile line out jumper. But I feel he is too small for a Super Rugby 6. He plays similar to Thierry Dusatouir.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
How did the 2009 aus schools flanker go this season, I heard he was at easts?

Jordie Tupou

I think he was injured for the start of the season but when he came back he had some great games. Definatly plays well above his weight and age.

Status
Not open for further replies.