• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Coaching Options for Qld Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Whilst a coach without a head coaching role might be keen to take the job, they would be unlikely just to take over as a caretaker and would certainly want a contract covering next year at a minimum. Is the coach you can get halfway through the year necessarily close to being the best person for the job?

Maybe not. Is the coach you can get better than the one you have now?

Yes.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Maybe not. Is the coach you can get better than the one you have now?

Yes.

Sure, but I tend to think that without an excellent candidate it would be a bad move to lock in someone who might be nowhere near the best person for the job in 2016.

I think Graham will get fired during this season but I'd be looking at a caretaker possibly from within the system than a new external coach who would certainly demand a contract that is longer than just the remainder of 2015.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Sure, but I tend to think that without an excellent candidate it would be a bad move to lock in someone who might be nowhere near the best person for the job in 2016.

I think Graham will get fired during this season but I'd be looking at a caretaker possibly from within the system than a new external coach who would certainly demand a contract that is longer than just the remainder of 2015.

I don't disagree with you, but I also don't think there is a choice. Right now I'm of the mind that an external coach who is known as hard but fair and consistent (Manenti from Eastwood, for example) is worth signing even if they might not be the BEST for 2016 - I'm happy with better than we have now.

Players from the Force flat out refused to play under him; reports from the players who were there then are reminiscent of that end scene in Varsity Blues.

Watching the game (from the ground) on Saturday I was part of a crowd that was completely disengaged. My personal favourite moment was in the 51st minute when I finally got through the level of Farm Heroes Saga that I've been stuck on for a week. It was noted on twitter that it's a credit to the crowd that no one booed. I think booing would've been preferable to the crowd who just couldn't give a shit - we were utterly disengaged.

The players were trying their best - I have no doubt their physical effort levels were there. But the basic errors were, to me, signs that they are as (dis)engaged with the game as I was, and utterly frustrated about EVERYTHING. And I was only watching for 80 excruciating minutes. Imagine if training feels that way too?

(as an aside, I sat through a captain's run last year and was shocked at how many knock-ons and forward passes were let through as if 'it'll all be alright on the night'. It's something I don't see happening at club level where a poor captain's run or warm up is sent away to come back fresh and start again)

So no, it's not ideal to have a caretaker coach, and we may need to get someone for 2016 too, but as a spectator I can't take more RG.

Swansong10

Frank Nicholson (4)
The reds will be put in no better position by sacking RG... all this chat about "if they lose to the brumbies he is gone"... what if they beat the brumbies and then lose the next game? your back to square 1... bottom line is if they are to sack RG now they are going to have to pay out his contract, pay a new coach and have the same lacklustre team for the remainder of the season...

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I wonder how much financial disincentive there is to remove the coach? Is Graham contracted to the end of this season only?

What's more expensive, paying out RG for the remainder of his contracting or haemorrhaging supporters/patrons? A few of the sponsorships deals must be coming up for renewal and nobody wants to back a loser (well the QRU do with Dick).

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
The reds will be put in no better position by sacking RG. all this chat about "if they lose to the brumbies he is gone". what if they beat the brumbies and then lose the next game? your back to square 1. bottom line is if they are to sack RG now they are going to have to pay out his contract, pay a new coach and have the same lacklustre team for the remainder of the season.

Except Holmes, Simmons, Horwill Cooper, Hunt, Tui, Robinson will be back to play for the new coach

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
(as an aside, I sat through a captain's run last year and was shocked at how many knock-ons and forward passes were let through as if 'it'll all be alright on the night'. It's something I don't see happening at club level where a poor captain's run or warm up is sent away to come back fresh and start again)

So no, it's not ideal to have a caretaker coach, and we may need to get someone for 2016 too, but as a spectator I can't take more RG.

Look at the way the Reds warm up to games, it's appalling. It looks unstructured, full of errors and very low impact when compared to the opposition team.

It's just amazing what is going on with the Reds right now.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The reds will be put in no better position by sacking RG. all this chat about "if they lose to the brumbies he is gone". what if they beat the brumbies and then lose the next game? your back to square 1. bottom line is if they are to sack RG now they are going to have to pay out his contract, pay a new coach and have the same lacklustre team for the remainder of the season.

At least with an interim coach they can re-engage with the fans. Letting this run for the season could cost them a lot of support. At least the board acting and sticking in an interim coach is telling the fans they understand what is going on.

Secondly, any top players who are getting more frustrated with the current coaching and way the team heading are likely to sign elsewhere before the season even ends.

The risks are way higher sticking with Graham for the rest of this season rather than sticking in an interim coach in my book.

Swansong10

Frank Nicholson (4)
Certainly agree with the sentiment of the value of fans Ash, but the point raised being the reds clearly haven't sacked RG yet, if they are going to do it - why don't they? as I said before if they win against the brumbies does he keep the job? if sacking Graham is the go they need to do it now or hold out until the end of the season.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Here's what I would do in the Reds' shoes:
  • publicly support the coach and say all sorts of stuff about injuries and all that
  • be madly searching for options behind closed doors - I've probably been doing that since the Brumbies in round 1 - knowing I have a press release about Nick Stiles being an able assistant and coaching the NRC-winning Brisbane City side in case I don't find anyone
  • hold out until there's a bye (the week after the Brumbies game, incidentally) and announce that RG's (stepped down/sacked/promoted out of harm's way) and give a new coach a whole 2 weeks of training and media exposure ahead of another home game to get the morale of the supporters up and get them optimistic again. If they win against the Brumbies then cite family commitments or something

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)

I have to disagree with that first line. The head coach runs the whole program if someone different comes in then the program will be theirs to run. Yes there are attack, forward coaches however they are dictated to by the head coach and implement his ideas and tactics. Sure they can suggest but at the end of the day it is RG who calls the shots.
The Reds woulds be in a far better position long term if they do something sooner rather than later. Also they won't beat the Brumbies and if they do which I really hope they do and they play good rugby I will very happily eat my words. The Reds are the only rugby franchise that has the $$'s to get rid of a coach.

Swansong10

Frank Nicholson (4)
yes I agree in the long term.... BUT they don't have a replacement now. - I feel that the reds must either act now with an interim or wait until the end of this season... what good is playing it by ear on the next few results? we all know the reds aren't miraculously going to win the remaining games from here... Sack RG now or wait till the end of the seasons seem to be the only viable options... however it seems they are waiting on someone to fill the gap... which there is no one currently.. basically looks like its going to a be a quick fix... which is unlikely to put them in a better position.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
yes I agree in the long term.. BUT they don't have a replacement now. - I feel that the reds must either act now with an interim or wait until the end of this season. what good is playing it by ear on the next few results? we all know the reds aren't miraculously going to win the remaining games from here. Sack RG now or wait till the end of the seasons seem to be the only viable options. however it seems they are waiting on someone to fill the gap. which there is no one currently.. basically looks like its going to a be a quick fix. which is unlikely to put them in a better position.

Ok what about this one. I will go back to Matt Taylor because I believe he is a big chance to come back. He will have the respect from all the crew from 2011 immediately and won't have to earn it. The 6 Nations finishes on the 21st of this month so potentially he is back for the Lions game after the bye if not the following week. I agree with Swansong something needs to be down now about RG not at the end of the year where the brand of Qld Reds will be trashed.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The best timing would be right before a bye. The byes are next week after the Brumbies game (week 6), and in week 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.