• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Commentators

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Drew Mitchell is the new golden boy for the commentating. Presume they brought him in for his larikinism, but that’s not why I watch rugby, I don’t like listening to immature jokes, I just want an experienced commentator with an informed opinion.. why doesn’t rugby have any of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
just had a look at the AB's squad and counted how many were linked to Pacific nations:

Mealamu - samoa
B. Branks - born in aus
kaino - samoa
nonu - samoa
sonny bill - samoa
joe - fiji
siti - fiji
mils - samoa
ice - samoa

Aus have
Huia - born NZ
stehen moore - born in saudi
salesi - fiji/tonga
Mumm - born in nz
pocock - zimbabwe
Genia - PNG
quade - nz
JOC (James O'Connor) - where isn't he from (nz, RSA, Ireland apparently)

Pretty even in terms of foreign players either born there, grew up there or second generation aussie/nzer

But yeah its a bit hippocritical of Nz commentators not referencing there own players heritage

I prefered it when they used to also refer to their previous occupation, eg: Dave Loveridge, Gordon Bray often referred to him as "the pig farmer from Taranaki" during his commentary broadcasts.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am big on Stephen Hoiles. Once he worked out he wasn't the funny guy, he adds really relevant detailed tactical comments.

T

TOCC

I like Bray, at least he is there to commentate and not there just humour the other commentators

half

Alan Cameron (40)
I like Bray, at least he is there to commentate and not there just humour the other commentators

What I like about Bray the most and some of the newer folk could learn from it. Bray says what he sees and lets the person watching make their decision on what they are seeing. Some newer folk to me anyway seem to be trying to impress with their knowledge, kinda saying look how smart I am. I don't know if I explained that well.

T

TOCC

Watch the NFL, they tend to strike a nice balance between the former player and the professional commentator.. across their teams of commentators they are careful to strike the right balance which reflects what people have complained about in here..

Like you say half, you need the pro commentator there to just talk about what is going on, he doesn’t offer bias or an opinion, he is just there to commentate. And then you have the former player who provides the on field expertise and can talk about what the players are thinking and feeling.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I am big on Stephen Hoiles. Once he worked out he wasn't the funny guy, he adds really relevant detailed tactical comments.
I'm not, he knows about 3 players names and goes on about them at the exclusion of all others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I miss Bill McLaren for his obvious passion and Scottish brogue. It didn't matter who was player he applauded great play regardless and commentated without fear or favour and knew the players and teams backwards. ALL the newbies could learn a lot from his professional approach.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think I have detected that Kafer’s role with the ARU has caused him to be much more forgiving of Wallaby errors than he once was.

He made a real point of talking up Hodge at 10 after he gave an adequate performance. It seemed like he was trying to impress upon everyone it hadn't been a huge mistake by the coaching staff not to bring a reserve 10.

T

TOCC

By no means am I defending him, but you have to concede it would be an incredibly difficult position to be in. Wallabies performances now reflect on him as well, he can’t just sit on the sidelines looking in criticising the performances anymore.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
By no means am I defending him, but you have to concede it would be an incredibly difficult position to be in. Wallabies performances now reflect on him as well, he can’t just sit on the sidelines looking in criticising the performances anymore.

It's more noticeable because he was always the most critical of the Fox commentators of the Wallabies play. Kearns could simply continue being the same Wallabies cheerleader he's always been if he was given some role with the ARU.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

I do agree, but rather than feel sorry or sympathy for him in the position he has "PUT HIMSELF IN" I feel contempt. There is a cost for Kafer here and it is the loss of his integrity. He had a choice and made it and settled on the option to hold both commentary and official positions, just as Eales, Gregan and Horan did before him. IMHO none of them are worth a pinch of shit in either capacity now, what is the truth to them. Eales the prime example of dribbling politically correct lines saying nothing for years through the Deans tenure, the Patston affair and Force debacle, spinning it all in his commentator position. Integrity deficit.

Status
Not open for further replies.