• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Commonwealth Games 7s

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Awesome women's Final, loved all 20+ minutes of it. Aussie who kicked it out at regulation FT must've thought it was 14-12 not 12-12? Thought NZ would run outta puff in OT & was pleasantly surprised when they didn't. Doesn't quite make up for Rio but we'll take it as part-payment :)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Holy shit, double Gold & held Fiji to nil in doing so. May have paid the price of taking pretty much the same team to HK & CG.

Well done lads & ladies! Woo-hoo!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
How did Caslick get injured? Anyone see a replay?
She plays the whole game,never goes to extra time IMO.
She also thrives against tired defence.
Our girls were very unlucky, but kudos to the kiwis. Williams chase tackle and pilfer at the end,summed up the desperation from Both sides.
Without doubt the best game of the weekend for both sexes.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
She plays the whole game,never goes to extra time IMO.
She also thrives against tired defence.
Our girls were very unlucky, but kudos to the kiwis. Williams chase tackle and pilfer at the end,summed up the desperation from Both sides.
Without doubt the best game of the weekend for both sexes.
Yep but for oz rugby supporters already depressed by kiwi dominance to see our girls lose to the kiwis was painful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad boy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Time ARU got fair dinkum about the appointment of coaches. Appointments should be results driven and for Australia to come 5th in Mens 7's after Bronze in 2014 is a disgrace. They appointed Andy Friend after he had been sacked by Tahs as assistant coach, then sacked as Brumbies coach then appointed 7's two and a half years ago and we have done nothing but go backwards. You can put any spin you want on his 3 a.m. rant with a player only 3 weeks out from the games but he should have been insisting his Captain go home and go to bed a lot earlier. WTF is wrong with ARU admin...Clean out all these unsuccessful coaches and start new with a results driven criteria.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Time ARU got fair dinkum about the appointment of coaches. Appointments should be results driven and for Australia to come 5th in Mens 7's after Bronze in 2014 is a disgrace. They appointed Andy Friend after he had been sacked by Tahs as assistant coach, then sacked as Brumbies coach then appointed 7's two and a half years ago and we have done nothing but go backwards. You can put any spin you want on his 3 a.m. rant with a player only 3 weeks out from the games but he should have been insisting his Captain go home and go to bed a lot earlier. WTF is wrong with ARU admin.Clean out all these unsuccessful coaches and start new with a results driven criteria.

Friend's time as coach has just ended.

He was missing two key players, one in very upsetting circumstances.

He also managed to win our first World Series event in about 5 years.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
great to see so many young girls in the crowd

gest15_zps558f1dbe.gif

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)

The Oz mens 7s also lost out against England, who ended up finishing third after narrowly losing to NZ, and then beating Sth Africa in the bronze playoff. I thought that they did pretty well and he seemed to build a strong team culture in the squad.

Bad boy

Frank Nicholson (4)
The Oz mens 7s also lost out against England, who ended up finishing third after narrowly losing to NZ, and then beating Sth Africa in the bronze playoff. I thought that they did pretty well and he seemed to build a strong team culture in the squad.

What kind of culture is being out at 3.a.m. and being subject to someone who may be intoxicated and wanting to fight 3 weeks before a major tournament....IRRESPONSIBLE

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

I was going to list all his deficiencies,but in truth,I'm going to miss him.
A combination of bookies continually over estimating them,and his trademark ridiculous selections and substitutions has made me a stack in the past two years.

its perverse that you suggest that Friend was unlucky in regards to the Coogee incident. He should have been summarily dismissed.

Wonder if the new guy is going to have a stockpile of contracted youngsters that are passed over for outsiders/anateurs when injuries kick in?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
A combination of bookies continually over estimating them,and his trademark ridiculous selections and substitutions has made me a stack in the past two years.

its perverse that you suggest that Friend was unlucky in regards to the Coogee incident. He should have been summarily dismissed.

Wonder if the new guy is going to have a stockpile of contracted youngsters that are passed over for outsiders/anateurs when injuries kick in?

Having seen his work with the Womens team. I'm expecting Walsh to be a very different beast to that of Friend.

Bad boy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Having seen his work with the Womens team. I'm expecting Walsh to be a very different beast to that of Friend.

Totally different beast...I am tipping he will be less successful. There are talented coaches in the Mens section that should have been at least interviewed before the appointment was made. It was a done deal long ago and the ARU just snubbed it's nose at potential developing young coaches yet again.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Maybe Friend should have been sacked immediately but it is entirely true that our men's team without Holland and Stannard is a huge step down from our best team.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Totally different beast.I am tipping he will be less successful. There are talented coaches in the Mens section that should have been at least interviewed before the appointment was made. It was a done deal long ago and the ARU just snubbed it's nose at potential developing young coaches yet again.

More successful than an Olympic Gold Medal? Really?

Bad boy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Very successful at women's level no denying but that doesn't just translate to men. Hope he is successful but due process in advertising and interviewing for job was not followed.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Very successful at women's level no denying but that doesn't just translate to men. Hope he is successful but due process in advertising and interviewing for job was not followed.

Your original post was suggesting appointments should be results driven. They've appointed the guy who coached a team to an Olympic Gold Medal.

You criticised the previous coach whose job has already ceased at the time of your message.

It seems like they're following your advice.

Who exactly do you think they should have appointed to coach the men's side?

Status
Not open for further replies.