• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Competition: help us design the ultimate G&GR RWC Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
With the Rugby World Cup 2015 just around the corner, it’s time to start dreaming and planning about how you might get the ultimate world cup rugby experience.

For the first time ever, Green and Gold Rugby is teaming up with Gullivers Sport Travel to put just such a plan together – the G&GR RWC Tour. Gullivers Sport Travel is the official travel agent of the 2015 World Cup and have been involved with the World Cup on 7 previous occasions.

It’s still planning stages, so what we want to ask you is this:

What features could we add to the tour to make it the ultimate G&GR world cup tour for you?

Keep them realistic (no, we can’t guarantee match results) and clean, and the best suggestions as chosen by our expert panel will receive a prize which could include:
  • A Gold Asics Wallabies jacket
  • A signed 2013 Australian Schoolboy Jersey
  • One of three Gullivers Sport Travel Sports bag
Put your suggestions below, one entry each. Suggestions close one week from today.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Massed choral practice for all touring party members to ensure the national anthem and other chants and songs are at least in tune and proudly sung.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Good luck.

Obviously match attendance has to be a lock. Side trips like various tourist attractions in the area, plus nominated pubs where you've worked out a group deal with the proprietor would be handy in terms of costs.

Wallabies training day access would be great too.

And a karaoke night, along with a committee for handing out stupid awards and penalties, money going to charity etc

Basically treat it like a rugby team tour.

tavytoo

Peter Burge (5)
a side trip to the home of Trelawney's army... cornwall..the most committed patriotic county in the UK county competion and nursery of many fine pommy team players. plenty of aussies around have surfed around the coastline , pulled pints in the pubs and run out for local clubs ,(so a social game could be easily arranged) then hitched up with a cornish maiden and bought her home! either that or head north of the border to murrayfield for more of the same

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I would include tickets to the Wales v Play Off Winner game on the 20th of September. Aus are in town 3 days later to kick off their campaign so why not arrive a few days earlier and watch Wales play in the Millenium stadium. That's something that's got to be on every true Rugby fans bucket list.

It's maybe not one of the big pool games but it's Wales' opener. Being there to witness 80,000 fired up Welsh fans, full of the optimism that comes naturally at the start of a RWC campaign, belt out Old Land of My Fathers would be something. Makes me want to move to Aus just so that I can go on this tour now.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I'd be aiming at a 'no amount of money can buy experience' for the group.
How about a surprise visit to the change room at one of the famous RWC big stadiums on a tournament day off. Go by coach and enter the stadium like a team would. Have a Wallaby top (not a jersey as that's for the real players) with their individual names on it hanging on the hooks. You'll already have their sizes.
Further surprise them by having a legendary former RWC Coach turn up and talk them through what it was like to be in this inner sanctum prior to kick off carrying the hopes of a nation.
If possible then get that Coach to shift gears and reenact a team talk he has given in that situation.
Get sound effects organised like crowd noise and studs on concrete playing loudly and lighting effects.
I'm thinking Millennium or Twickenham would be ideal for obvious reasons.
Bob Dwyer to be the guest speaker.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
This may not to be anyone else's taste but it's what I'd do if I found a pot of gold in the next 15 months.

I call it the Beer Lover's Trip to the Rugby World Cup! Does start during RWC but you're flying over between Wallabies matches so don't miss anything important.

Thursday 24/09/2015 Depart Australia
Friday 25/09/2015 Arrive Munich - get off flight. Go to hotel, not much else after 26 hours on a plane.
Saturday 26/09/2015 Munich Oktoberfest - As the Honey Badger would say "Into it".
Sunday 27/09/2015 1pm - Watch Australia v Play-off Winner, then Oktoberfest again
Monday 28/09/2015 Start of Bus Tour - Munich to Nuremberg to Bamberg (Bamberg is famous for smoked beer and has 9 Breweries)
Tuesday 29/09/2015 Bamberg to Rothenburg ob der Tauber to Heidelberg (Medieval Towns, big castles, more beer)
Wednesday 30/09/2015 Heidelberg, Rhine Cruise from Bingen to Koblenz and then bus to Cologne (Rhine Cruise for castles & scenery, then to Cologne the home of Kolsch)
Thursday 1/10/2015 Cologne to Brussels (It's Belgium, it's Beer & Chocolates) End of Bus Tour part
Friday 2/10/2015 Eurostar Brussels to London (2 hours on the Eurostar and you're in World Cup Central).
Saturday 3/10/2015 England v Australia (spend half the day in the pub watching the early games, then into Twickenham for the big one
Sunday 4/10/2015 Ireland v Italy (Head on out to Stratford for this battle between the 6 Nations rivals)
Monday 5/10/2015 London - Free Day to recover and do normal touristy stuff
Tuesday 6/10/2015 Day trip to Rugby
Wednesday 7/10/2015 Stadium Tours or something
Thursday 8/10/2015 London - Monopoly Pub Crawl
Friday 9/10/2015 London - Free Day to tour around out to Stonehenge or whatever
Saturday 10/10/2015 Australia v Wales (Twickenham again, huge match)
Sunday 11/10/2015 Depart for Oz (Swear you'll never drink Heineken again)

Reactions: Tex

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
At the 2011 world cup, I went to a panel thing in a pub the morning of the semi final, with Clarkie, Kafe, Kearns and Damian Smith I think it was. Did some analysis before the game and took questions. Having something like that with past players/coaches/commentaters would be good. Pretty much an interactive version of the podcast, to get some excitement and chat up pre or post match.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
As an add on to my plan above, last year the first Tuesday and Wednesday in October were UEFA Champions League Match Days. If it is same dates again in 2015, a Champions League match would be great to get along to as a sportsfan even though its not rugby.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Congratulations to “Joe Mac” and “It is what it is” who have won a Gold Asics Wallabies jacket and a signed 2013 Australian Schoolboy Jersey due to their suggestions to help Gullivers Sport Travel create the ultimate Rugby World Cup tour.

Amongst other things Joe Mac - who won the U20 jersey – suggested a get together for a drink before the tour, which will now be included.

It is what it is won the Asics Wallaby jacket.
Well done to everyone who entered.

Here are the G&GR tours sold and run by Gullivers Sport Travel:

Tour 1 is a Pools Matches Only Tour hosted by Alan Gaffney.
Alan has coached professionally for over 17 years. Starting off at the Randwick through to Leicester and as Assistant Coach at The Waratahs. Alan was the back coach for Ireland at the previous World Cup in NZ.
- Click here for tour itinerary and booking form -

Tour 4B is Pools to semi-final Tour hosted by Chris Hickey.
Chris was a stand out coach in Sydneys Shute Shield Competition. His success with Eastwood led to his appointment as Head Coach of the Australia Under21 team in 2005 & 2006. Following this he was appointed as Head Coach of the NSW Waratahs.
- Click here for tour itinerary and booking form -

Tour 7C is a semi-final to Finals Tour hosted by former Wallaby legend Greg Cornelson.
Greg has been capped 25 times for the Wallabies. Growing up in NSW, Greg made his test debut at 21 years of age against the All Blacks in Brisbane. His career finished at Twickenham when the Wallabies played England in 1982. Greg was the first forward since 1881 to score 4 tries (v New Zealand) in major Test. - Click here for tour itinerary and booking form -

Status
Not open for further replies.