• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Continued decline in Sydney Junior Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...-new-aru-charges/story-fngr8iii-1227160923538

More trauma in an area where the financial base of the population is strong. What will it mean in less affluent areas?
From my club today:

As I am sure many of you are aware the ARU has moved to introduced a National Participation Fee (NPF) and National Insurance Levy (NIL). This also includes a proposal to transition to a new registration and match day system (Rugby Link).

This is essentially a new funding model. To date, SJRU and its member Unions have more questions than answers. At an All Clubs Meeting held on 17/12/14 it was agreed by all clubs that SJRU and its member Unions could not support the introduction of either the NPF or Rugby Link in its current format.

As a result they will not be using Rugby Link for registration. These will continue via the "Buddha" system which will come on line again shortly.
Clubs have supported the changes to insurance as outlined in the NIL.

SJRU will be seeking clarification from the ARU and NSWRU in regard to the NPF, its current format and controls for its future.

We are working closing with all members of SJRU to achieve a mutually beneficial outcome and will provide updates when they are available.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
I read with interest that 4 district clubs have agreed to run an 18's comp in conjunction with their colts program. I ask what about the other district clubs I'm guessing it won't be much of a comp playing the same teams every 3rd week. But even more interestingly SJRU are still proposing to run an opens competition. How the hell is that going to work, if half the boys are playing 18's at district? The only reason they have had an opens comp for the past couple of years is due to the over 17's playing. Can someone please explain where these players are coming from?

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
I read with interest that 4 district clubs have agreed to run an 18's comp in conjunction with their colts program. I ask what about the other district clubs I'm guessing it won't be much of a comp playing the same teams every 3rd week. But even more interestingly SJRU are still proposing to run an opens competition. How the hell is that going to work, if half the boys are playing 18's at district? The only reason they have had an opens comp for the past couple of years is due to the over 17's playing. Can someone please explain where these players are coming from?

As i understand it there are now 6 teams confirmed in the new U18's Colts (to be played on Saturdays in line with the senior district clubs), plus another 2 which are expected to confirm their involvement shortly.

From the remaining 4 - I believe that at least 2 have confirmed that they want to be involved - but whether they can get the cattle is next question.

On this basis i would be surprised if the offer by SJRU to run a Sunday opens comp as well will get up.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
As i understand it there are now 6 teams confirmed in the new U18's Colts (to be played on Saturdays in line with the senior district clubs), plus another 2 which are expected to confirm their involvement shortly.

From the remaining 4 - I believe that at least 2 have confirmed that they want to be involved - but whether they can get the cattle is next question.

On this basis i would be surprised if the offer by SJRU to run a Sunday opens comp as well will get up.

Gary I would agree but they are communicating to club world that they are offering opens this year just seems like a strange decision. All clubs should just be referring the players to the district clubs, by the time the village clubs work out they won't get a team it will most likely be too late. I know my son is going to try and play both to help out his village clubmates.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

I think that's right.

The Manly clubs are referring all u/18 players to the District club to register with colts and one would assume that most u/17s would follow that path as well.

SJRU asked the District clubs to run this, so i'm not sure why they'd be trying to run an Open grade themselves.

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
I know of quite a few village clubs still keen to play Sunday opens for whatever reason including a not so positive relationship with district club. SJRU are pretty much offering this as an option but obviously on the basis there will be sufficient teams. If they did not offer then they are pretty much making the decision before giving it any chance at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Way to start reversing the decline Belly / Parra , well done.

Grow the grass roots

Great to see 2 or Manly's junior teams (Allambie Jets / Harbord Harlequins) playing against 2 of Parramatta's juniors for the Curtain Raiser for the season opener out at Parramatta.

No doubt kids will have a ball and drag their mates to games.

Grow the grass roots

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
Latest from Sydney Juniors is that more likely scenario would be an u17s Sunday Comp rather than an opens (u18s) due to 18s colts likely to move forward on Saturdays (latest word on u18s Colts is 9 District teams looking like they're on board)
A Sunday u17s Comp would allow some dispensation (limited) for any u18s that could not play Saturday's to play down in 17s & teams not being able to field a u16s team to have these players playing up in u17s.
I think this is a good approach & maximises opportunity for a Sunday Comp for these older juniors. More discussions will hopefully be had re 10 a side comps or any other open-minded ideas to keep kids playing club rugby for as long as possible.
Sydney Juniors want to hear your ideas.
Also clubs need to be having open dialogue on ideas to maximise team comp numbers rather than just being focussed on winning comps.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Junior Village Club Registrations well under way.

Any reports on how the numbers are looking at this stage, particularly in the "at risk" age groups - U15 onwards?

Has Junior Gold Cup encouraged any extra players to register, and is there any impact on numbers due to the absence of a National U16 Tournament (albeit there were some positive reports of the NSW Invitational), and the removal of the "Grandfather" or Ghost player clause for the NSW JRU State Championships?

Thomo77

Frank Nicholson (4)
Can only talk to the 15a comp... @Blacktown we've picked up a few from the other code who are involved in the JG program and will lose a couple due to school commitments.. looks like Wahroonga and Lindfield will merge. Dural are unlikely to field an As side and Hunters Hill and Lane Cove will kick on.

Out west, I don't know that there will be any other teams in the Parra district... will be interesting to see what happens. Would be nice to field a B or C side.. but from what I hear it looks unlikely.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Junior Village Club Registrations well under way.

Any reports on how the numbers are looking at this stage, particularly in the "at risk" age groups - U15 onwards?

Has Junior Gold Cup encouraged any extra players to register, and is there any impact on numbers due to the absence of a National U16 Tournament (albeit there were some positive reports of the NSW Invitational), and the removal of the "Grandfather" or Ghost player clause for the NSW JRU State Championships?

At our club, minis going well, 10s-13s report slightly lower numbers than previous years. For 14s and above the dormant Manly Vikings club has been resurrected and clubs will be directing players to that entity. We only have 4 or 5 players in each of 14s and 15s and I suspect that the other 2 clubs will be in the same position - thus pooling players is the only option to get anyone on the field at all.

My understanding is that the Vikings will be able to field a 14s, 15s and 16s (although 16s is the only one with confirmed numbers) and 17s and 18s players are being directed to colts to play in the 18s team as part of the colts set up.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
I'm not sure how many team there will be in the 16As. Very few I understand. And not the same ones from last year's 15As comp.
There could be a strong 16B comp.

A lot might hinge on those trophy chasers, Hunters Hill.

Druid

Herbert Moran (7)
Can only talk to the 15a comp. @Blacktown we've picked up a few from the other code who are involved in the JG program and will lose a couple due to school commitments.. looks like Wahroonga and Lindfield will merge. Dural are unlikely to field an As side and Hunters Hill and Lane Cove will kick on.

Out west, I don't know that there will be any other teams in the Parra district. will be interesting to see what happens. Would be nice to field a B or C side.. but from what I hear it looks unlikely.

Hills will definitely have a team in the U15s with good numbers at training most likely in the lower grades.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It's an issue that I've alluded to before, but what happens if there's only 2 or 3 A teams in these higher age groups?

One assumes that teams who don't consider themselves A teams (and probably aren't the same standard as the 2 or 3 genuine A teams) will be pushed up. Hardly a satisfactory situation, but I can't see any alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.