• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Craig Wing, what's the deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I haven't seen or heard anything about Craig Wing since he left for Japan, but I'm curious.

How is he doing over there? All I know is his wikipedia article says he has been playing 5/8.

I think he'd be a good buy for a franchise over here, he has a squeaky clean record, is well know in league circles and now has some senior union experience under his belt. He also is somewhat of a media personality which could only be a positive thing.

A good fit for the Rebels perhaps?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Where would he play? I doubt he would make it at 10 in Super Rugby. 12 perhaps?

On the same theme notice that Canterbury has dropped SBW to the bench due to defensive issues. Seems he still cannot grasp the positional requirements of centre defense in Rugby. I had thought that a full season in Frogland would have taught him the basics. Dropped for Crotty.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Wing? No thankyou. I don't recall him ever tearing up in league, and the quality of Japanese footy is questionable. If he did come to the Rebels I would predict he'd be the Rebel equivalent of Hendrik Roodt.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
He doesn't really have much of a media presence down here, and he is pushing 31 as well. Don't really see him being a good or worthwhile fit for the Rebels.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Wing? No thankyou. I don't recall him ever tearing up in league, and the quality of Japanese footy is questionable. If he did come to the Rebels I would predict he'd be the Rebel equivalent of Hendrik Roodt.

Yes, their largest player.

R

Raptor

gotta agree with that. he mainly played dummy half in league where does that sit him in rugby? he wouldnt be a very good centre

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Great defender, good pass, pretty solid player who played a load of State of
Origin.

Just too old now

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm pretty sure he's been playing fly-half, just like he did in high school. He has somewhat of a union background.

He's played both Origin and for Australia so at very least don't doubt his league CV.

I disagree and think he does have a media presence in Victoria as he was formerly a host of some things on foxtel, which happens to air Super rugby.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Great defender, good pass, pretty solid player who played a load of State of
Origin.

Just too old now

He'd fit in with the rest of the Rebels' squad if he's too old! Seriously though I think you could do worse than offering him a 1 year contract.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Apparently he's on $700k a year in Japan so we can't afford him. I would rate his media profile down here as roughly equivalent to Mike Hammond, star of the Foxtel help channel. If you are looking for someone with media profile you either have to poach from the Storm's 'Big 4' or the AFL. Do that and it might be worth spending the money IMO.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
We'll have to agree to disagree Stoff.

I would say in playing Super rugby there would be other bargaining chips that aren't just the cash, like the challenge and the fact he get's to live in Melbourne.

Are you associated with a club "down here" in backward Victoria?

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Agreed (on the disagreeing). I played colts at Powerhouse about ten years ago until work got in the way. Also did a bit of coaching of the U16s at Melbourne High for a couple of years after I left.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Agreed (on the disagreeing). I played colts at Powerhouse about ten years ago until work got in the way. Also did a bit of coaching of the U16s at Melbourne High for a couple of years after I left.

Yeah they don't have Colts anymore for some reason. It's resulted in the mean age of their club being about 30.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
It was falling apart a bit at the time I stopped playing. I remember having to borrow players from Harlequins for a game against Melbourne if I recall correctly. Talk about sleeping with the enemy. I think they recovered for a while after that, but the schools never seemed to really feed into the club. A bit from MHS and we would get the odd one from elsewhere, but we were mainly made up of blokes from the northern states or overseas. Quins, Melbourne Uni and Melbourne seemed to have the strongest links for bringing down the school players.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
For a hamstring tear, I would have thought the therapeutic benefits of massage from a busty Swedish masseuse would outweigh any supposed 'science' behind the use of a hyperbaric chamber.

T

TOCC

Yes, and NRL Club Wests Tigers have one that can that can cover the whole body up to neck level.

Neither of these are hyperbaric, it looks like a version of cryotherapy which is extremely popular in Japan. It also makes sense since he said he came off with a sore hammy..

Status
Not open for further replies.