• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer 2023-24

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cameron Bancroft was the leading Shield run scorer last year and is leading the tally again this year. Not sure what else he has to do!

I think Bancroft is the most likely person to take the role but in my view there's nothing compelling to say it shouldn't be in three tests' time.

The Sydney test isn't the final test of the Summer this year.

The selectors would have a better call make the change earlier if they hadn't persisted with Marcus Harris as the extra batter on several tours. He's not the guy to replace Warner so it's harder for them to make the argument that this guy has been banging on the door for ages.

I'd give Warner his three tests.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Selectors have got lucky it's Pakistan who we should be beating at home relatively soundly IMO so he gets the farewell. Would have been interesting if it was an Ashes as in series droppings in those series seem to unsettle sides a lot more.

Marcus Harris just isn't the guy. It's very clear and gee he's been given some chances now.

Hasn't had the best Shield season but Pucovski must still be the guy they really want to kick on.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Selectors have got lucky it's Pakistan who we should be beating at home relatively soundly IMO so he gets the farewell. Would have been interesting if it was an Ashes as in series droppings in those series seem to unsettle sides a lot more.

Marcus Harris just isn't the guy. It's very clear and gee he's been given some chances now.

Hasn't had the best Shield season but Pucovski must still be the guy they really want to kick on.
Yep, MH just hasn't really been playing at the level required. 282 runs at 31.33 for this year in 9 innings. In 2022/23 it was 601 runs at 37.56 in 17 innings. Really needs more runs.

Re Pucovski, how's he going injury/health wise? I think his run of concussions really set him back

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
No idea about health but he’s strung 6-7 shield games together this year which has to be as many as he’s done for years.

Will always be in peoples minds but hopefully getting older will help some things mentally. Only 25 I think so coming into his prime as a Batter.

Hope they just let him play as much cricket as he can without throwing him in if not ready/out of form.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
BBL match abandoned between the Renegades and Scorchers.

Pretty poor even with the heavy rain they said Geelong copped in the lead up. This isn't any regional stadium, it should do better. Holds 24,000 and plans to go to 40,000.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Twice in one weekend, in fact - the PM's XI match at Manuka also abandoned due to the covers being blown off by a storm and pitch soaked.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Blowing off is an accident and while it sucks all you can do is go "ah shit". Not good enough though.

If this was another country though we would be saying what a joke, sort it out.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Anybody who saw the ferocity of that storm wouldn't query the covers being blown off the pitch, especially as it seemingly came out of nowhere, not mentioned in forecasts on the day. Trees of all sizes, but mostly eucalyptus, down all over the place.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Get better pegs.

To elaborate: it's Canberra. Surely someone has a detail knowledge of hard pegging. Particularly with Parliament nearby ....

giphy.gif

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Warner looking ominous. If Pakistan can't maintain a disciplined line he will continue to score very quickly.

Some flashes of quality from Pakistan, especially the debutant, but not sustained.

Full balls are making them hop, good signs for a true WA wicket.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I just can't believe Afridi getting a little chirpy with DW a ball after being smashed for six over fine leg