• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer 2023-24

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ellyse Perry is a freak. Took 6-15 for RCB over night. Didn't even know she bowled, comes out casually with,

"I really enjoy bowling, I've been working on it a bit, especially with my coaches back home."

A part timer, who's having a dabble. Sheesh.
She's always been an all-rounder in my memory - I recall her getting wraps early on because of her bowling as well as batting

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
She has indeed but has hardly bowled for Aus in recent years due to injury. I think this last season was when she started increasing overs again for Aus but with half the team being all rounders she’s not needed for her bowling much anymore and she’s not bowling nearly as much as she was early door.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
She's always been an all-rounder in my memory...
That she has. And she confirms my selection criteria when an all rounder MUST be able to justify her/his selection as a batter or bowler. The modern Australian practice of squeezing an all rounder into the men's team started with Flintoff's wonderful series all those year ago. This year we've been lucky with the batting form of both Green and Marsh, but, if either of them drop off in one of their principal responsibilities, that player should go. ATM our top order batsmen desperately need an injection of youth.

Well done, Ellyse.

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

Not going to play County Cricket following latest concussion. Admitted to coming close to retirement prior to this one.

Do Victoria or any other State give him a contract or do you try and seek a roster position for him but have it as a match payment type deal? You want the best for him but also can't lose a squad position when a return is completely unknown.

On a positive note for a young batter is Ollie Davies (23) finishing the year with back to back centuries. Only 9 First Class games into his career but averaging 53 with 3 100s and 3 50s.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)

Not going to play County Cricket following latest concussion. Admitted to coming close to retirement prior to this one.

Do Victoria or any other State give him a contract or do you try and seek a roster position for him but have it as a match payment type deal? You want the best for him but also can't lose a squad position when a return is completely unknown.

On a positive note for a young batter is Ollie Davies (23) finishing the year with back to back centuries. Only 9 First Class games into his career but averaging 53 with 3 100s and 3 50s.
Ollie Davies is the find of the season I reckon.

I think Pucoviski is going to be stuck now - I can't really see a way forward. Which is unfortunate for a player with so much potential.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I reckon the NSW antipathy across all sports is massive - see the whole "too many tahs" etc chat on

LRUsoldier

Allen Oxlade (6)
who is the next best batsman to come into the test team? nic maddison is scoring runs like jelly. oliver davies has to do it for another 6 months to be considered

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Maddison spent half the year in 2nd XI cricket. (Was when bbl was on and he was dropper. He’s 32 with all the talent in the world but does the dumbest stuff endlessly to get out.

He did get 3 centuries this year which is a good effort. Also got out under 10 three times.

I think the side is going to ride this line up through to the Ashes and hope a couple of players are putting pressure on.

These guys like Maddison, Renshaw, Bancroft are all averaging mid/high 30s for their careers. I’m more inclined to see a guy like Inglis be pushed as a batter if needed after how he’s played in White Ball cricket for Aus.