• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cringeworthy Kearns/Martin moments.....minutes......hours......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
And still they persist with Martin...

These blokes don't do this for Free - they command a Salary, and normally an employer expects some quality.

If you Look at the comments here (on a forum for interested Rugby People) Not One of them seems to believe that this fellow is any good...

Why then, is he there? I agree with the comments about McArdle - have no idea who he is, but he stands out - much like Sharpe is showing signs of... I enjoy the input by Kafer - the rest of them? Forgettable.

How is it that if you are a bad dishwasher you get sacked for washing dishes badly - but if you are an appalling broadcaster, you are retained on the only channel which broadcasts an international sport?

Is there someone at FOX who can explain their position?

Maybe the Wesh can also explain Jonathan Davies as well... the Wales Commentaries he features in are 'bizarre' - but I would still place him ahead of martin.

I recall (if my memory is not too faulty) Rod Marsh had a crack at commentary around the same time Ian Chappel started - it didn't work, and so he was politely shown the door.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
.... that of course is my point... I really would, genuinely, Love to hear the thinking of their boss at Fox - (who is he, I wonder) - on why he hires a person that his TARGET AUDIENCE do not respect... Its not about cost, thats for sure.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
.. that of course is my point. I really would, genuinely, Love to hear the thinking of their boss at Fox - (who is he, I wonder) - on why he hires a person that his TARGET AUDIENCE do not respect. Its not about cost, thats for sure.

I am not sure, but Greg Clarke seems to be the boss of the rugby personnel. So there's your answer, Clarke would not recognise a good rugby commentator if he stood up in his porridge bowl tomorrow morning.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Greg Clarke is on Twitter - i would suggest tweeting him and voicing displeasure. You can't do it to martin himself cause he's not on twitter (probably the only sports commentator these days who isn't).

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
At the end of the day, in the fullness of time (that sounds like Sir Humphrey Appleby) no matter what we say Fox Sports will do what they want.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
South African commentators is peh. Kiwi and Aussie commentators especially the banter and what they come up with. He got jet shoes and when Bands scored that try "He is taking on Spencer Get out the road." In the end they give credit where credit is due

armatt

Fred Wood (13)
Gordon Bray and Matt Burke will be calling the Rugby on Channel 10 now! :D

Oh fuck. Gordon Bray's infatuation with whatever team is playing against the Wobs is ridiculous. His rabid celebration of All Black tries, in particular, massively gets on my nerve.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I am not sure, but Greg Clarke seems to be the boss of the rugby personnel. So there's your answer, Clarke would not recognise a good rugby commentator if he stood up in his porridge bowl tomorrow morning.

He's not the boss, just a presenter........ although his salary would probably be a little higher than the others.........

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Oh fuck. Gordon Bray's infatuation with whatever team is playing against the Wobs is ridiculous. His rabid celebration of All Black tries, in particular, massively gets on my nerve.

This just goes to show that not everyone will be happy with a commentary team anywhere, ever. Gordon Bray is one of the best in the business!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This just goes to show that not everyone will be happy with a commentary team anywhere, ever. Gordon Bray is one of the best in the business!
he gest on my nerves BUT
at least he's got the voice for it

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I like the little shout outs he does for obscure Rugby clubs everywhere & trivial tit bits on players etc. He really is the voice of Australian Rugby for a lot of people over the age of 20. Who can forget his calling of the Horan try in the 91 World Cup semi final v All Blacks! Classic!! He's a fair handed commentator who doesn't show his allegiance whilst calling a game, if that is to be construed as an infatuation against all teams playing against Australia he's in a no win situation, go the other way & he'd be called one eyed like the mob in the thread title.

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
i do get annoyed by how much time our commentators use to talk down the spectacle and the rules and how they ruin the game.
Let others in the crowd think that - but these guys are paid to make the show entertaining and great and stick to the play.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
In 93 when we first met the Aussie commentators I found them to be a fresh shot of fresh air over the screaming of a players name for 10 seconds which somehow makes SA commentators think that he is delivering the moment. Well back to 1993 for that one game first test between SA and Australia we heard them. The second and third test it was Saffer guys commenting. SA won that first game and that is why they did not seem to be bias.

But in 1996 we played Aus in Tri Nations. SA the newly world champs against Australia who had a disappointing tournament and well got beaten in that group match. Well one can forgive the commentator for getting excited for Australia as we have come to learn over the years thats how he commentates Aussie side or not. Bu anyways SA we playing awful and Australia played very well and at half time the people phoned in to the M=Net studio complaining about the bias commentary. People whom I watched it with could not understand Afrikaans so they were stuck listening to the Aussie commentator give credit to a Aussie team playing well and nothing to a SA team playing awful. But they forgot about that one test match years ago where he did give credit where credit was due. So not much bias commentating just you can't expect him to get happy when your team plays like junk.

I have to admit after 16 years of watching and listening to them I have no idea who's voice is who with the Aussie commentators. Who is the main one in the test matches who use to go Tuuuuuuuuuuuuuune!! lol When I heard him scream that my heart normally sunk into my boots cause I know exactly why he got so excited.

Just something interesting I noticed is they use to love to show Tune running back or walking when it was a set play or a penalty which in the two I saw both times SA scored a try. Bad luck?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Marto annoyed the hell out of me when he was complaining about the penalty for offside by the Reds props from the kickoff (Reds had just scored a try, Brumbies kicked off, Simmons caught it and the Reds props obstructed).

It was a clear penalty and whilst the Reds didn't get any advantage from it, it was still blatant and should be penalised.

Marto going on and on about it being a soft penalty, the Reds not gaining any advantage and that the infringement wasn't worth three points are all completely stupid arguments.

It was a blatant obstruction and it should be penalised. Marto seems to miss the point that the action is what dictates the referee's decision, not the outcome.

He makes the same argument over and over again when there is a dangerous tackle committed by the Reds. Seemingly in his mind, a dangerous tackle only warrants a sanction if the tackled player gets injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.