• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Crusaders v Reds Prelim 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Jesus mate, you're positive aren't you!? We played like shit, but I don't think anyone was expecting the blowout that occurred last night. Those of us tipping the reds were probably a bit hopeful but in no way were we 'starrey eyed' dreamers. And as a matter of fact, the reds have shown in the past that they can come up with the goods against the Crusaders. So sorry for our misplaced optimism.

I mean why the hell did we even watch the game if they are so bloody godlike, hey? The reds were a genuine chance at winning that game and in no way was it stupid for us supporters to think they couldnt get the job done. In the end we were outclassed but the reds were not playing at their potential and the saders had a blinder. Take your negativity somewhere else because that's not what the game's about.

For starters, take your blasphemy elsewhere. Quite a few players (and supporters) are Christians, believe it or not.

Negativity? I have been insulted by experts.

Realism is not negativity. Negativity is refusing to face the facts, and there was a fair bit of that on this thread.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Crusaders were somehow brutal and precise all at the same time. Massive hits, swarming in attack with short balls to runners at a great depth.

Peyper gave them some latitude at the tackle/breakdown and they took every opportunity - tacklers lingering holding on, falling on the reds side, taking up the space well beyond the ruck area and then running through it. All stuff the reds just couldn't do themselves because they were physically dominated.

Mackenzie at half time mentioned the Crusaders slowing the ball down, but the Reds answer, often, seemed to slow it down themselves.

Frankly, I'm glad that the super season has ended for some of these guys - they need to freshen up for the RC. Horwill in particular.

I've deleted the recording, and never want to watch it again, but

What was Whitelock doing to Schatz at 43:02? I shudder to use the term stamping after the extravaganza last month, but - seriously?

Was that when Schatz was taking up space well past the ruck and still holding on to Whitelock's legs and Whitelock was trying to get free?

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I think it was when Whitelock was free and turned, looked at Schatz, stamped on him and continued on his way. Have to try and find a replay to be sure. Just one of those WTF moments that probably were meaningless in the cold light of day. Sometimes.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Crusaders are looking the goods again, and after easily accounting for the Chiefs a couple of weeks ago, would nearly be favourites for the crown. One possible fly in the ointment would be the Cheetahs beating the Brumbies today so that they, the Crusaders, would have to travel to SA for the Bulls next week.

Reds were extremely disappointing. I recognise the forwards were mauled, but really outside of Will and Quade, there were no backs that played anywhere near S15 standard. CFS had some good moments, but by and large Lucas, Shipperley, Taps and Lance were out of their depth and Morahan did next to nothing when he came on. With that backline, Quade had no help at all to get anything happening out wide.

My hope now is that the Brumbies can stand up this afternoon to keep an Aust presence in the finals series for at least a week longer. But I sincerely believe they will need to go out there to win and not play too conservatively. The Saders showed what can be done if the team wants to win every aspect of the game. The scoreline takes care of itself.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Maybe some of the starry eyed optimists who predicted otherwise will remember this: the Crusaders are a franchise that knows how to win at the pointy end of the season. Don't forget, chaps, it will save you some heartache in the future. I shudder to think what the Blucks are going to do to us.

No point playing the All Blacks now, you realists have won the argument, we'll juat send the Governor General out onto the feild to face the haka then apologetically forfeit.

Only thing to do now that we have been taught our lesson.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)

Realism is not negativity. Negativity is refusing to face the facts, and there was a fair bit of that on this thread.

You must be so pleased! Nothing quite like saying I told you so hey!

I'm with Lewisr on this one. Your posts have been almost entirely negative. Negativity is not refusing to face the facts as you purport them to be. Notwithstanding this, there are very few, possibly zero folk on here not facing the fact that we were completely outplayed on the night.

You call it realism or whatever you like but.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
What was Whitelock doing to Schatz at 43:02? I shudder to use the term stamping after the extravaganza last month, but - seriously?

I didn't see it live but looking at it on the replay, the White 8 dove over the ruck and held onto one of the boots of the Red 5 whilst on the ground. Red 5 lashed out with his other boot and hit the White 8 on about the upper arm/shoulder.

As a former player I 'd say that both players were doing their jobs.

As a referee, had I seen it, I would most likely have looked the other way as there wasn't much in it. If it was a junior game or a game that was a bit feisty I might have found a PK to White to stop anymore shenanigans but I'd sort of feel a bit bad about allowing White to profit from their annoying play. Probably though at the next scrum I'd have a quiet word to both indicating that I'd seen it and both should cut that sort of stuff out.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)

Bugger the stamping, I'm more concerned about players who fly into the ruck, get airborne and then hit a player in the ruck. From memory Saia got utterly destroyed around the 73rd minute due to a rocket being launched 5 metres away. That's more dangerous in my eyes than the ruckus that can and does go on from a boot.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Congrats to the Saders - played extremely well and thoroughly deserved the win.

Reds played shit - accross the park.

Was very disappointed in the big 3 - Genia, Cooper and Horwill/ The first and last are supposed to be worlds' best at their positions - certainly did not show it last night.

had to get up early and shoot some friggin' crows so I could make some "humble pie" - to eat today -

Crusaders looking like favourites to me to take the title.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Has anyone mentioned in the last 22 pages of posts, that the Reds have played one match in the last 7 weeks, whilst the 'Saders have played 3 in the last 3 weeks?
That stat. may have something to do with the Reds poor performance last night!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Has anyone mentioned in the last 22 pages of posts, that the Reds have played one match in the last 7 weeks, whilst the 'Saders have played 3 in the last 3 weeks?
Well, 3 in the past 8 weeks, including 2 in the last 2 weeks in Super Rugby, plus the Lions match, plus players in Test squad. Does the lack of game time make them fresher, or less match-fit? Who knows, but I suspect the answer depends on how well they played, retrospectively! ;)

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)

It is a fair point, although it needs to be tempered slightly by the fact that the Crusaders looked good in their first game back after the break against the Highlanders, and then in their second game back looked awesome against the Chiefs. I think if there is a will there is a way.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Funnnily enough the game reminded me so much of the 3rd Lions test, it was not funny. Crusaders just went out there and beat them up...legally I might add!!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Must admit, I haven't noticed or seen it vid, but might see if I notice anything when I watch game again. The one thing I will say is that Shatz and Quirk were certainly outmuscled last night, that surprised me a bit as I thought not being Lions series they were 2 players I really expected to fire. I also thought that it was probably hard to mark because his tighties weren't overly flash, Todd certainly showed young Gill how to play 7.

I think if you watch it again you might have a different opinion of Gill. He got through a lot of work and was mostly very effective, he just didn't have the support.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Bugger the stamping, I'm more concerned about players who fly into the ruck, get airborne and then hit a player in the ruck. From memory Saia got utterly destroyed around the 73rd minute due to a rocket being launched 5 metres away. That's more dangerous in my eyes than the ruckus that can and does go on from a boot.

I think there was a flying clean out that knocked him out just before half time, preceding Carter's try.

It looked dodgy but they didn't replay it.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think there was a flying clean out that knocked him out just before half time, preceding Carter's try.

It looked dodgy but they didn't replay it.

I saw that, looked very bad. I initially thought it was Slipper but saw him in a later phase and couldn't work out who it was. Whoever it was got hit hard, and late. Looked completely out of it.

tic

Herbert Moran (7)
For starters, take your blasphemy elsewhere. Quite a few players (and supporters) are Christians, believe it or not.

Really? Playing the religious card on a rugby forum?

Mr Smith went to church,
he went there every Sunday.
Mr Smith went to hell,
for what he did on Monday.

Sorry, not being negative - just adding some realism.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think if you watch it again you might have a different opinion of Gill. He got through a lot of work and was mostly very effective, he just didn't have the support.
Geez don't get upset Scotty, I didn't say Gill was bad, just Todd outplayed him, and could of been because Reds fatties were so poor!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.