• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Current IRB Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
IRB World Rankings - 26 November 2012
Position (last week)Member UnionRating Point
1(1) NEW ZEALAND 92.91
2(2) SOUTH AFRICA 86.94
3(3) AUSTRALIA 86.31
4(4) FRANCE 85.07

5(5) ENGLAND 81.07
6(7) IRELAND 80.22
7(8) WALES 78.95
8(9) SAMOA 78.71

9(6) ARGENTINA 78.71
10(11) ITALY 76.24
11(12) TONGA 76.10
12(10) SCOTLAND 75.83

13(14) FIJI 71.52
14(13) CANADA 71.41
15(15) JAPAN 70.09
16(16) USA 68.32

17(17) GEORGIA 65.83
18(19) SPAIN 63.09
19(18) ROMANIA 62.12
20(20) RUSSIA 61.49

These are the IRB rankings as at 26/11/12.

There are only two games played this weekend NZ v Eng and Aus v Wales, and then the rankings are set for RWC 2015.

The outcome of the first match is irrelevant, neither team would change position.

The other match however is significant.

If Wales lose it would appear that they will drop to ninth and quite possibly a much harder draw (this from a position of fourth in the rankings after the Six Nations).

If the Wobs lose, we will drop to fourth so not a huge difference.

Needless to say both Samoa and Argentina will be desperately wanting Aus to win, and Wales equally have an enormous amount to play for.

Apart from 7, 8 and 9 all other positions are set for RWC 2015.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Samoa is safe in the 8 as well, only change possible is Wales dropping to 9th with the Pumas moving into the 8. Makes for a interesting game on the weekend, expecting a pumped up Walsh side with a very Vocal home crowd. They might just break that losing run, they are due a win and a win over the Wallabies.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
IF, and I am not sure that if we win we move back to 2nd, I don't believe we deserve it.

Given the way we have played in the last twelve months I can not understand how we could be second on the rankings.

We have scaped through by the skin of our teeth on so many occassions (and lost to scotland and samoa) and we are still a possibility to regain No 2?

Somehow it doesn't seem right.

And yet wales have dropped from 4th to 7th, and could concievably drop to 9th, Samoa are stting on 8, the poms have dropped out of the top 4, the argies could move to 8th and tonga and italy are above scotland.

What is the (rugby) world coming to?
Interesting times.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
IF, and I am not sure that if we win we move back to 2nd, I don't believe we deserve it.

Given the way we have played in the last twelve months I can not understand how we could be second on the rankings.

We have scaped through by the skin of our teeth on so many occassions (and lost to scotland and samoa) and we are still a possibility to regain No 2?

Somehow it doesn't seem right.

And yet wales have dropped from 4th to 7th, and could concievably drop to 9th, Samoa are stting on 8, the poms have dropped out of the top 4, the argies could move to 8th and tonga and italy are above scotland.

What is the (rugby) world coming to?
Interesting times.
Look at the other contenders. We gaze at our navels plenty, and see all our own crapulence, but miss the fact that, apart from NZ, no-one else is really consistently good of late. The real difference between 2 and 8 is not so much. In other eras, we'd be nowhere near 2nd, but now, meh.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The make up of the pools will be known on December 3.

This is from irb.com

Teams placed one to four in the world rankings will comprise band one and will be drawn randomly across the four RWC 2015 pools, so will crucially avoid playing each other until the knockout stages.
The teams ranked five to eight will form band two and the remaining four directly qualified teams into band three. The eight places available through the qualifying process will be split into bands four and five according to strength.

As the rankings stand at the moment, the bands for the RWC 2015 draw would be:
Band 1: New Zealand, South Africa, Australia, FranceBand 2: England, Ireland, Wales, SamoaBand 3: Argentina, Italy, Tonga, Scotland

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Mahonri Schwalger, legend. Just about my fav non aussie player getting around.

Hope the political crap gets sorted as they could be even better.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Needs to be by more than 15. This is because of Wales' current low ranking.

Yeah I think a Wallabies win would move them up roughly .5 of a rating point, just under SA. A win over 15 would be closer to .75 of an increase, going above SA.

I don't think it really matters anyway. Once you're in a band it's all random anyway. Besides, once the WC comes around you've still got to beat someone good to win it. (expect 'SA 07: Fiji, Argies, England... a cruise).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Does anyone know if being seeded 2nd guarantees that you're on the opposite side of the draw to New Zealand or is the pool allocation random for the top 4 ranked teams?

Brightside05

Frank Row (1)
If all of Band 1 teams win their pool and their QF's then they have no chance of seeing the other Band 1 nations until the semi final.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I realise that, but is the pool allocation done such that if everything goes to plan the number 1 and number 2 ranked sides meet in the final or can any of the top 4 ranked sides play each other in the semi finals?

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I realise that, but is the pool allocation done such that if everything goes to plan the number 1 and number 2 ranked sides meet in the final or can any of the top 4 ranked sides play each other in the semi finals?

From Rugby World Cup website

Teams placed one to four in the world rankings will comprise band one and will be drawn randomly across the four RWC 2015 pools, so will crucially avoid playing each other until the knockout stages.

So entirely possibly for 1 and 2 Ranked teams to be drawn in pools that will meet in the semi finals.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hard to know which top 8 side we'd want to be paired with. Probably Wales or Argentina (if they move into the top 8).

England is probably the worst option as they'd almost certainly start favourites at home in the RWC.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
IIRC the last time the Soap Dodgers hosted (1991), they lost the opening game of the tournament (v The Darkness) and then went on to make the final which they duly lost against the Men in Gold.

No reason why they will not repeat similar this time around.

Ranked 5, it would be nice to see them in the same pool as The Darkness again. ABE.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If Wales do drop into the 3rd Tier I would imagine Ireland and England would be a little nervous come the pool draw.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Yep, if Wales are third tier there could be a very very interesting pool next tournament. Geez, already looking forward to it.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
Does anyone else find it a bit ridiculous that 3/5 of teams qualify for RWC four years out from the tournament and that those teams are then seeded and placed into pools two and a half years out from the tournament? Compare this to the Soccer world cup where only one team is guaranteed a place (the hosts) and their pools have not yet been formulated for the 2014 World Cup. The current format of the RWC draw means that there is no guarantee that the seeding will reflect the actual position of teams come London 2015. With the current format teams have an incentive to keep their old experienced players around for 1 more year just to give them good qualifications and then start their development in the 2nd year of the four year cycle.

I also think that removing the top 12 teams from the qualifying tournament removes a fantastic opportunity for the second tier nations to get more games against the tier 1 nations. Imagine what teams like Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, Canada, Japan, USA could do if they got more of a chance to play these teams. I would love to see a tournament 2 years out from the RWC that featured Aus, NZ, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and the Oceania Cup winner playing for 5 RWC places.

Status
Not open for further replies.