• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Deans contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I note with some gladness that Gits only signed for two years. Giving him a season of S15 before the next world cup if he so desires one more crack.

He will need to play significantly better than he did in the Clemont v Toulon game (on Fox Eurosport as I type) , if he is to think he is to have another chance of a crack at a Gold Jumper.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
the best rugby we've played under Deans was late 2010 when Richard Graham was skills coach other than that Deans was skills coach & we've been shit.

I don't know about that.

There was much commentary about our skills being pretty rubbish during that year.

What did help us in some of the games we won was the individual brilliance by certain players.

Unfortunately the Wallabies tend to rely on individual brilliance and have not consistently played as a proper unit in a long long time.........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Who could they bring in to the squad?
With the injury toll, they have brought in quite a few who normally would not be considered at this stage of their careers.
Some are even talking about bringing in a 9 who has yet to start in super Rugby!
I think the cupboard is bare of untried Test calibre players ATM.

To be fair there were a lot of quality players this year who have not played for Australia yet due to injury or only received one cap.

In particularly a number of the Brumbies' stars. All of these guys would be in the starting XV ahead of those curently playing:

Dan Palmer
Nic White
Christian Lealiifano
Joe Tomane

Deans has also neglected to take Henry Speight on tour who became eligible a couple of months ago. The guy was the form Australian winger in Super Rugby, and now that we're lacking x factor players he could really be useful. [Edit: the status of his eligibility was incorrect] Although he wouldn't fix the forwards' problems and lack of decent ball from the halves.

It's fortunate that Douglas and Timani are playing well, because it was pretty widely regarded that neither player were anywhere near being the best in their positions at the end of Super Rugby.

There are still a lot of quality untried locks out there such as Pyle, Fardy, Carter, Neville, and Luke Jones.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Deans has also neglected to take Henry Speight on tour who became eligible a couple of months ago.

He isn't eligible until 2013. From the start of next year he becomes a domestic based player, and Oosthuizen takes his place as the foreign development player over the 2 years.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He isn't eligible until 2013. From the start of next year he becomes a domestic based player, and Oosthuizen takes his place as the foreign development player over the 2 years.

I thought I was about to correct you there, but have noticed the Brumbies site has changed the status of Speight's eligibility.........

They recently updated his profile to state that he was made eligible back in August, but now apparently he won't be until the conclusion of 2013.

Interesting.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
'Dingo' Deans is consistent if nothing else.

We scored another single try in the game against Italy - how about that!
(Ah but if course their defence was very, very good - ahem)

Status
Not open for further replies.