• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Declining participation and ARU plans for the future

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Why not SBS? They'll be looking for content now.

They've covered rugby in the past?

I'd be targetting 7 and more specifically 7two as they currently have a deal with the SRU to broadcast the SS. That deal requires a $250k spend on behalf of the SRU with 7 in advertising. This is for 18 regular season games plus all the finals from memory. So something like 23 games. If we're talking one game a week with the NRC We're looking at a 3rd of that number. If we could somehow work in getting the finals onbpard then 11 games all up. I reckon a similar spend to that of the SRU's would be about par but with the added proviso of mass distribution nationwide.

We could look to use the streamed games. Offer Fox Sports a similar amount for them plus delayed finals. The NRC isn't worth much if anything to them so they may be interested in making some of their investment back. And then there's the potential added boost of more interest and exposure potentially flowing on from there.

Seriously, whenever this cut comes through. Thos should be seriously looked at.

L

Leo86

I dont know if it has been mentioned previously but online streaming is the way of the future, even foxtel see this. I would happily pay for a Rugby package (Wallabies, Super Rugby and NRC as one type of package) instead of pay for all the unwanted crap tv basic package and then pay extra for sports. Amounting to such a high cost.

NBL have nbl.tv (which foxtel televises) with a range of subscription options.
Full- regular season, finals and includes classic matches.
Team subscriptions- You just get access to your team's games

If it can work for basketball i cant see why not for rugby.

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere

Reactions: BAR

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I dont know if it has been mentioned previously but online streaming is the way of the future, even foxtel see this. I would happily pay for a Rugby package (Wallabies, Super Rugby and NRC as one type of package) instead of pay for all the unwanted crap tv basic package and then pay extra for sports. Amounting to such a high cost.

What about a rugby station like the other codes?
Last night I was watching Saracens v Northhampton
Then there is the Top14.
6 Nations.
ITM
Soup
Test matches.
Classic Test matches.
And the most important the Shute Shield;)

Online streaming - hard on your eyes. And if you work on a computer - how much work will get done? GAGR has an impact on productivity.

L

Leo86

Then there is the Top14.
6 Nations.
ITM
Soup
Test matches.
Classic Test matches.

Online streaming - hard on your eyes. And if you work on a computer - how much work will get done? GAGR has an impact on productivity.

As i said they could sell packages,
Ultimate package including whatever rugby they can get,
Test package,
Super Rugby package,
NRC package
State package, (NSW having their shute shield)
Team package

Punters pay what they can afford, either watching just their team/s or Comp or being able to live in rugby bliss of having it all. Some will start low and then upgrade the more they see the benefits.

Smart tv does well with streaming (speaking from watching basketball) a couple of times it needs to buffer during an entire game.

Working on computer... hmmm am i meant to be doing something else other than GAGR...

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

I agree. But I think what many question is the maturity of the market here and how that will impact upon revenue streams.

Personally, among the SANZAAR nations I think the market does exist but others will likely disagree. What I find interesting is that streaming platforms are being looked at with more regularity internationally even in regards to Rugby. I've been posting about the development of Major League Rugby on another thread. One of their member clubs have partnered with a streaming service called FloSports to create the FloRugby platform.

Now, I highly suspect that we'll see the entire MLR featuring either on this platform or partnered with FloSports to create their own streaming platform for the competition. They currently and likely will continue to charge $13.95 USD a month for access.

The question here is cost. How much will it cost to set up and operate. There are a lot of factors involved but we do have a company doing it already in the form of Club Rugby TV who produce the SS games on 7Two. From memory it costs them around $750k a season to run the production which as above features 23 games in total. So from my rough memory and even rougher math that's $32,600 a game.

Of course this would be higher if you were flying crews to different destinations in the country but even then considering our portion of games (which would be 40 in the new format) the expenses wouldn't be too much greater.

I think perhaps the biggest factor is that it provides an organisation with the ability to control its own content. This could then permit say the ARU to broker a deal with a FTA carrier to feature a game of the round in a prime time slot as a means of gaining further exposure and hopefully building the overall subscriber base.

Personally, of it were ever to become workable (which for SANZAAR is very, very unlikely) and we could have access to Super Rugby, the NRC, CC, M10, Top League, Nacionales De Clubs, Varsity Cup, several 7s competitions potentially schoolboys Rugby and maybe more I'd happy pony up $20 a month for 12 months.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Then there is the Top14.
6 Nations.
ITM
Soup
Test matches.
Classic Test matches.

Dave, mate. Most newer TV can be connected to the internet no worries. That and there is a decisive shifts in how content is being consumed with more and more people opting for mobile devices as opposed to traditional TVs.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Here's an interesting piece. It covers all my territories - I went to a GPS school, played in the country in late 80s early 90s, did a stint at Easts and was living with Cheval's five eighth in 1995, then I went to a couple of different subbies clubs, moved to the country and am now involved with one of those'small town' rugby clubs seniors in the central west, as well as having a couple of kids in the juniors.

http://www.rugbynews.net.au/austral...ht-people-weve-just-got-to-pick-up-the-phone/

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I love that they used a picture of Rod Macqueen. As if they don't remember he was the inaugural coach of the Rebels, and by all accounts did a pretty poor job of it.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Although in fairness the photos of him is from the days of 'that' jersey when things were pretty good for rugby in Australia.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Helped out with a few games and clinics this morning on Sydney's North Shore for player 10 and under. I know it's a heartland but it was encouraging to see the number of kids playing rugby. All we hear is Soccer and AFL is infiltrating this region but the sheer number of kids I saw on the ovals was great. Mostly boys but each team had one or two girls involved. So many mums cheering on their kids and supportive of them playing rugby.
Went to a shopping centre afterwards, kids in local rugby jerseys every where. Drove past Shores playing fields and it was packed with rugby games.

Tomorrow at Mosman there is an information day for girls 5-9 years old to get them into rugby. Outlining the pathways for girls to continue in rugby.

At the professional level there is a lot of crap going on, but there is still so many positive things going on at the junior level.

Get off this forum for a Saturday morning and go and see what's happening at the junior level. It'll lift your spirits.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
U15s and below is very strong in our region in terms of player numbers. In my experience from a grassroots perspective the main areas of focus for player retention should be the following:

- U15s graduates (schoolwork/girls)
- U17s to colts (legal partying)
- colts to seniors (work/not good enough for 1st grade)

I don't know what the answer is but there are significant drop offs in participation at each of those steps.

T

TOCC

I think their needs to be stronger links between some of the clubs and schools, I quit club during the senior years because it was too demanding to play both and their were conflicting dates.

This will be natural attrition, but the key is ensure ensure those players are recaptured after school. For many players it's difficult to transition from club to club rugby because it's unfamiliar territory with people they don't know. I know there are natural/historical allegiances between some clubs and schools, but it could be improved. The clubs should be holding some joint training sessions with all the senior players, and have an easy pathway for them to transition to.

Heck, maybe school Rugby and club rugby should somehow be combined for senior years, let some schools into club comps and vice versa, don't have them running parallel or in competition. Maybe clubs and schools could form joint ventures.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We need some radical ideas. Just doing better what we have been trying to do (oh, I forgot, it is all the ARU's fault) - will not work.

We are in deep doo doo.

We need to play to our strengths, forget about conventional wisdom, break the chains.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Helped out with a few games and clinics this morning on Sydney's North Shore for player 10 and under. I know it's a heartland but it was encouraging to see the number of kids playing rugby. All we hear is Soccer and AFL is infiltrating this region but the sheer number of kids I saw on the ovals was great. Mostly boys but each team had one or two girls involved. So many mums cheering on their kids and supportive of them playing rugby.
Went to a shopping centre afterwards, kids in local rugby jerseys every where. Drove past Shores playing fields and it was packed with rugby games.

Tomorrow at Mosman there is an information day for girls 5-9 years old to get them into rugby. Outlining the pathways for girls to continue in rugby.

At the professional level there is a lot of crap going on, but there is still so many positive things going on at the junior level.

Get off this forum for a Saturday morning and go and see what's happening at the junior level. It'll lift your spirits.
Quality post as you outline important grass roots info people should digest...no seriously they really should

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk