• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Dewar Shield 2017 & other Vic comps

Status
Not open for further replies.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Round 7 13 May
Moorabbin v Endeavour Hills
Power House v Box Hill
Melbourne Uni v Footscray
Souths v Melbourne
Harlequins v Bye

E6k5xih.jpg

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Just saw BLK are now naming rights sponsor to the Dewar Shield.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
I haven't been following the Dewar Shield at all, but that's a shame because he was pretty much Melbourne all his childhood.

Good to see him playing at such a high level though.

Maybe that's it, to play at the high level he needed to look outside the norm and go to a club that would play him regularly.

(There's also a link between BG and PH that might have factored into the decision)

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Maybe that's it, to play at the high level he needed to look outside the norm and go to a club that would play him regularly.

(There's also a link between BG and PH that might have factored into the decision)

There's been a lot of equally talented 10/15s in Victoria that were not in their club's 1st XV first year out of school.

Melbourne do not have as good of a record of developing locals as they do getting opportunities for imports. Not judging, just saying that if I was 18 and wanting to play 1st XV but likely to play games in Colts too, I wouldn't go there.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
There's been a lot of equally talented 10/15s in Victoria that were not in their club's 1st XV first year out of school.

Melbourne do not have as good of a record of developing locals as they do getting opportunities for imports. Not judging, just saying that if I was 18 and wanting to play 1st XV but likely to play games in Colts too, I wouldn't go there.

Agree on all fronts there. You need to look at your best options and chance it where you can. House was that avenue for Billy.

Melbourne started the import revolution (for lack of a better term) and others like Quins have followed suit, Uni to a lesser extent and others get little bits and pieces. Box Hill and the Island Breeze program was/is a master stroke.

Looking g from the outside you can see that Melbourne's model has been successful in ways, it brings players to Victoria and that's a positive. Standards get lifted and local players progress by playing at a high level.

Problem for Vic is retention, Rebels have stopped the exit
Lounge somewhat, it will be interesting to see how many go back north if the Rebels fold....can Melbourne import them back?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Quins, for all the many, many issues they cause for the balance of local rugby, are excellent at bringing Melbourne-bred talent through.

They don't bring too many in from NZ and elsewhere in Aus, though it seems everyone that comes to town for Rebels 20s ends up at Quins.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
They bring it through but get it once it has been largely developed elsewhere. The draw card for Quine is their tap to the Rebels and the coaching structure that they have attracted to the club. They're similar to the Vikings in Canberra.

It does cause an imbalance but no one will stop it. If you coach another club you just have to hope there are some kids out there wanting to play rugby..

Axemen

Allen Oxlade (6)
They bring it through but get it once it has been largely developed elsewhere. The draw card for Quine is their tap to the Rebels and the coaching structure that they have attracted to the club. They're similar to the Vikings in Canberra.

It does cause an imbalance but no one will stop it. If you coach another club you just have to hope there are some kids out there wanting to play rugby..

I found this comment about Quins interesting so I thought I would do some digging - I don't have any strong affiliation to any one club but go to a number of Quins games just for the style of rugby they play. I rang Brock Parker their rugby supremo and simply asked him the origin of the 21 players listed for the Rd 8 Dewar Shield game V End Hills tomorrow. And to my surprise, and in quite a contradiction to your comments Pablo - 7 are Quins Juniors (1/3rd of the team) out of the 21, including that 7 a total of 12 came through Quins Colts - though Brock did state 2 of those were juniors from other clubs, 1 from Northern who at the time had no Colts or Senior rugby teams and one from End Hills when EH had no Colts team for him to play in so he came to Quins. That really doesn't sound like a club that "has talent developed elsewhere" - I can't imagine too many other teams in Victoria having 7 Juniors in their 1st Grade. Brock also pointed out to me that over the last 5 years Quins has grown to be the largest Junior club in the state - 7-8 years ago they were struggling to field 5 Junior teams and losing all their best players to surrounding clubs when the dreaded Private School years kicked in but due to a strategic plan the club adopted now boast 12 Junior teams through to U18 and last year won the VRU Top Junior Club Award, so he asked me if this sounded like a club that didn't develop their own talent - he didn't deny they would always welcome and try to attract the best talent but said what club doesn't.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Now that is interesting. I'm like you and sit in no camp, however perception from outside the tent is that the imports out number the locals, they approach other clubs players and target all rep players (mentioned elsewhere in this forum by posters). Happy to be corrected by your research...

Brock is a great rugby man and has devoted a lot of time and effort into Quins, he'll be a club and VRU life member at some stage, if not already.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Souths had to forfeit both 3rds and 2nds yesterday, after forfeiting 2nd grade at half time the week before. Can't imagine they will stay in the premier division much longer, even if it's just another week. Can't see the other clubs being happy with another 9 rounds of just not knowing if they will play 2nd and 3rds.

Results from yesterday:
Footscray 67 Souths 7
Box Hill 36 Moorabbin 22
Power House 41 Uni 45
Endeavour Hills 5 Harlequin 36

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I found this comment about Quins interesting so I thought I would do some digging - I don't have any strong affiliation to any one club but go to a number of Quins games just for the style of rugby they play. I rang Brock Parker their rugby supremo and simply asked him the origin of the 21 players listed for the Rd 8 Dewar Shield game V End Hills tomorrow. And to my surprise, and in quite a contradiction to your comments Pablo - 7 are Quins Juniors (1/3rd of the team) out of the 21, including that 7 a total of 12 came through Quins Colts - though Brock did state 2 of those were juniors from other clubs, 1 from Northern who at the time had no Colts or Senior rugby teams and one from End Hills when EH had no Colts team for him to play in so he came to Quins. That really doesn't sound like a club that "has talent developed elsewhere" - I can't imagine too many other teams in Victoria having 7 Juniors in their 1st Grade. Brock also pointed out to me that over the last 5 years Quins has grown to be the largest Junior club in the state - 7-8 years ago they were struggling to field 5 Junior teams and losing all their best players to surrounding clubs when the dreaded Private School years kicked in but due to a strategic plan the club adopted now boast 12 Junior teams through to U18 and last year won the VRU Top Junior Club Award, so he asked me if this sounded like a club that didn't develop their own talent - he didn't deny they would always welcome and try to attract the best talent but said what club doesn't.

I'll be honest mate, I don't buy a lot of this. It's at best a very rosey viewpoint and at worst a misrepresentation.

The Endeavor Hills boy who 'moved over because they had no colts' is a pretty out there comment, considering the reason Endeavor had no colts was because Quins and Melbourne took all the key players on, with renumeration. This is similar to the Northern players, though like you said they don't have a senior program (though they have a Colts this year, and Quins still took players from them that're Colts aged).

If you read my above posts I'm not out to get Quins, but I feel like this is an insider (not you, the bloke you spoke to) framing it in the most positive light possible.

Even counting through the 1st 23 man squad, 7 juniors is generous if you're aware of the individuals' circumstances.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Ladder after 8 rounds:
18671137_10158621925710262_9144660311727473640_n.jpg

Round 9 fixtures and some quite important ones for team's seasons.
Round 9 27 May
Souths (9) v Box Hill (4)
Melbourne (3) v Power House (5)
Melbourne Uni (2) v Harlequins (1)
Footscray (7) v Endeavour Hills (6)
Moorabbin v Bye

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
What a year so far!

- Moorabbin who've beaten 2nd and 3rd place are in 8th place on the ladder (obviously still very much in touch with the 4).
- Quins are pulling away from the pack, as per usual, but I honestly thought this would be the return to the pack year for them.
- Power House not really living up to the hype, though they're close to the 4 with plenty of time to go.
- Box Hill and Uni proving to be surprise packages and will both almost certainly be top 4 halfway into the comp (unless Souths produce the upset of the year).

BrockQuins

Frank Row (1)
I'll be honest mate, I don't buy a lot of this. It's at best a very rosey viewpoint and at worst a misrepresentation.

The Endeavor Hills boy who 'moved over because they had no colts' is a pretty out there comment, considering the reason Endeavor had no colts was because Quins and Melbourne took all the key players on, with renumeration. This is similar to the Northern players, though like you said they don't have a senior program (though they have a Colts this year, and Quins still took players from them that're Colts aged).

If you read my above posts I'm not out to get Quins, but I feel like this is an insider (not you, the bloke you spoke to) framing it in the most positive light possible.

Even counting through the 1st 23 man squad, 7 juniors is generous if you're aware of the individuals' circumstances.

Hate to be called false - the 7 Junior players from the End Hills game are:
Angus Arundel, Steve Walsh - though I think Steve played JNRS at both Melb and Quins at different times, Angus Hamilton, Ant Van Zyl, Callum Kent - came over from Box Hill in U16 when they didn't have a team, Kemu Valetini and Ed Davis.

Axemen

Allen Oxlade (6)
Box Hill are the team on the move - started the year with 3 losses, and 2 of them very close losses to Quins and Unicorns, they have now won 5 straight and in most part won them all very comfortably. Watch out for the Broncos.

Very sad re Souths state - it was only in 2010 they were playing in the Dewar Shield Grand Final. Think they have to go back to Division 2 next year and rebuild and hopefully come back as a strong club once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.