• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Do Barbarians players get paid in cash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
My point was only that you're not going to reach a conclusion on why they were carrying so much cash because their finances are their business only - they can't and shouldn't have to defend themselves against speculation as to why they had it.

This is a rugby forum and if you can't see a difference between talking about playing performance (I.e. The Burke comments) and speculating how people handle their private finances that's your call. I resent the comparison with Burkes comments as I disagreed with those and the topics are clearly different.

At no point did I think my position on this is the default and should be enforced - speculate about this all you like. I just think that, unlike the rugby talk we have something to base on, it will be trashy and worthless.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
My point was only that you're not going to reach a conclusion on why they were carrying so much cash because their finances are their business only - they can't and shouldn't have to defend themselves against speculation as to why they had it.

This is a rugby forum and if you can't see a difference between talking about playing performance (I.e. The Burke comments) and speculating how people handle their private finances that's your call. I resent the comparison with Burkes comments as I disagreed with those and the topics are clearly different.

At no point did I think my position on this is the default and should be enforced - speculate about this all you like. I just think that, unlike the rugby talk we have something to base on, it will be trashy and worthless.

I tend to agree with this. Money is a very personal thing and it is rude to speculate on other peoples finances. I'm not a wowser by no means but some issues do need to be approached in good taste.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
There's also the fact that this is a public forum that doesn't require registration to view. It's not a private conversation between mates at a pub. If I say, for example, that Matt Giteau had that money in order to avoid declaring it on his tax/spend it on drugs/etc etc then that is getting into libel territory.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
i enjoy a good joke as much as the next person...

There lies the problem as a good joke lies in the eye of the beholder. Personally I thought his joke was rubbish but it is not my place to make that assesment on behalf of others.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
What's to discuss?
They clearly were paid in cash.
They had no opportunity to bank the cash.
They didn't declare it & were fined.
They will undoubtedly declare it in their tax return this year.
Clearly all this would be different if QC (Quade Cooper) was involved...

D

daz

There's also the fact that this is a public forum that doesn't require registration to view. It's not a private conversation between mates at a pub. If I say, for example, that Matt Giteau had that money in order to avoid declaring it on his tax/spend it on drugs/etc etc then that is getting into libel territory.

Look, I agree with your view that other people's money is their concern. I think this started as a bit of a light-hearted wind-up thread about the stupidity of these clowns. (Hey, if you walked into Sydney airport with $60K in your back kick I'd probably wonder why as well).

The comments about skipping tax is a fair question, if a little impolite. The current affairs shows each night are full of stories about how Bob the plumber did some cash work on the weekend and is now being hounded by the tax office. Is it our business? Probably not, but it was in the papers so it is public domain for discussion.

As for the libel claim, please. If that was the case every public forum and office lunch room in the world would be shut down.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Your opinion is obviously well thought out, and I respect that. I just see it differently. Fortunately, I am not in control of what people are allowed to say, so there's no problem with us agreeing to disagree.

Reactions: daz
T

TOCC

There lies the problem as a good joke lies in the eye of the beholder. Personally I thought his joke was rubbish but it is not my place to make that assesment on behalf of others.

i have absolutely no qualms in making such a assessment...

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I'd say a press release from the ARU kinda makes it a public discussion

But does anyone know for sure what they got each? I'm thinking it was $20k each and the journo did the usual of rolling it all up for extra jazz

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Sure it's not an offence to bring >10k in to the country, but making a false declaration on a legal customs form, isn't that an offence? For which they were charged?

I honestly don't understand how one person, let alone three people could fill that form out incorrectly by accident. Sure you may forget to turn it over and sign the back, but they're yes/no questions.

Do you have more than AU$10,000 or foreign currency equivalent? No.
Ooooooh, you mean this $20,000 ! I got that in exchange for some work I did so just figured it didn't count. Sorry, my mistake...

--- sent via TapaTalk

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Agree with Moses point. It is not possible for it to be just a mistake if it was indeed all three if them involved.

T

TOCC

Sure it's not an offence to bring >10k in to the country, but making a false declaration on a legal customs form, isn't that an offence? For which they were charged?

I honestly don't understand how one person, let alone three people could fill that form out incorrectly by accident. Sure you may forget to turn it over and sign the back, but they're yes/no questions.

Do you have more than AU$10,000 or foreign currency equivalent? No.
Ooooooh, you mean this $20,000 ! I got that in exchange for some work I did so just figured it didn't count. Sorry, my mistake...

--- sent via TapaTalk
its technically not an offence(a violation of law) for failure to make a declaration, the declaration is a legal document, however customs purely penalise those who don't make correct declarations.

Id say the main reason for not filling it out properly was complacency, considering how many times these guys have had to fill out one of these forms, including when they fly to and from other countries, they probably just ticked the boxes they normally tick without giving it much thought.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Anyone who has filled the form in more than once or twice knows the only question over the back is the cash question.If they didn't tick the box then that is complacency. If they ticked the box & forgot about the lazy 20k in their wallet then they are fucking stupid.
I don't think they are fucking stupid.
It has been dealt with, they will pay the tax on it. Who cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.