• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Doping in Rugby

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Surprised more hasn't been made of this but Rhys Webb and Elton Janties have been busted using ability-enhancing drugs. Two pretty high profile players, apparently the one Rhys got caught with, is quite hard to detect and has a very short period of detection in the body. Begs the question how many of them are using. Also that Rhys was directed to use it by the Welsh Rugby Union.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The article has backtracked on saying the WRU supplied him with it but that would be pretty explosive if true. I wouldn’t be shocked, it definitely explains their 2021 grand slam and a few others..

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I feel like these won't be the only two we hear about this year.

Jantjies is interesting, a drug to help you breathe better. Normally used by asthmatics so not to sure it would really have been a massive benefit and worth the risk.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I feel like these won't be the only two we hear about this year.

Jantjies is interesting, a drug to help you breathe better. Normally used by asthmatics so not to sure it would really have been a massive benefit and worth the risk.
I thought Clenbuterol was pretty straight forward, it's used by bodybuilders to shred and also by endurance athletes to increase their vo2.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
It's also used in cutting recreational drugs like cocaine and apparently is detectable in the system well afterwards.
Do WR (World Rugby) have a different punishment scheme for performance enhancing vs recreational drugs?

There were some AFL players a couple of years ago who got caught with the same thing, I think behind closed doors it was made clear it was from heavy cocaine use. But they were charged with doping which actually incurred a much longer penalty.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Do WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) have a different punishment scheme for performance enhancing vs recreational drugs?

There were some AFL players a couple of years ago who got caught with the same thing, I think behind closed doors it was made clear it was from heavy cocaine use. But they were charged with doping which actually incurred a much longer penalty.
It's a little blurry with cocaine because it can be considered recreational or performance enhancing, depending on when it was used. It might be an argument they can use to reduce the length of any ban he incurs, but I'm not sure how much difference it'll make in the end. Given his age and everything else that he's done recently I think Jantjies career is effectively over from a reputational perspective.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
There has to be a lot of players on PEDs just based on the incentives involved.

I'd bet on France/South Africa personally. Based on appearances and knowledge of players from those regions and what they have told me.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
A number of players have been done for doping in QPR over the last few years.

I hardly think it’s just a coupla of countries who are guilty of it…

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
A number of players have been done for doping in QPR over the last few years.

I hardly think it’s just a coupla of countries who are guilty of it…
I think most countries are very clean at the pro level, it’s the school boy level where it’s most pronounced. It is possible to get massive gains and retain them throughout a career. I’d dare say there is more elite RSA school boy on the gear than the other tier 1 sides elite school boys combined. Primarily it’s a culture but also funding, not saying the RSA union isn’t doing what it can but the national sporting authority that control doping isn’t bothered and also doesn’t have the funding for systematic monitoring like they do here and the UK.

The fact we have actually recognized amateur/semi pro players is a credit to the system we have here. That would not happen in many countries.

Last edited:

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I think it's very unlikely that there isn't fairly widescale doping just on the fringes of pro pathways just about everywhere.

The primary variability will be around scale and how exuberant local regulators and managing bodies are in investigating it.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I think most countries are very clean at the pro level, it’s the school boy level where it’s most pronounced. It is possible to get massive gains and retain them throughout a career. I’d dare say there is more elite RSA school boy on the gear than the other tier 1 sides elite school boys combined.
Yeah doping at the schoolboy level is arguably the most concerning, purely from a duty of care perspective. There have been rumours around a handful of Brisbane school programs over the years, some reasonably substantiated, as I'm sure there has been in other cities.

As others have said, it's naïve to think that there isn't doping occurring at all levels of all sports across all countries - the major issue is whether it's self-motivated individuals, or a more systematic program.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Yeah doping at the schoolboy level is arguably the most concerning, purely from a duty of care perspective. There have been rumours around a handful of Brisbane school programs over the years, some reasonably substantiated, as I'm sure there has been in other cities.

As others have said, it's naïve to think that there isn't doping occurring at all levels of all sports across all countries - the major issue is whether it's self-motivated individuals, or a more systematic program.
Is there much testing in GPS rugby?

It certainly seems that adding bulk in juniors is a bigger advantage than at senior level (the older you get the closer in size the players seem to get in each position) and it could be argued that size overcomes skill deficiency

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I know in NSW, the GPS teams can get occasional random visits by ASADA, think they're more interested in rowers tbh.

They make occasional visits to Shute Shield clubs too.

Honestly though, at those levels there's not a lot of secrecy and it's very easy to get heads up and without the scrutiny and professionalism at the pro level, absentee players are generally okayed.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
If you ever check the asada banned athlete list, there's always a few Rugby Union players there. Hell, there's two right now from club level.