• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

End of Year Tour 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Is Robbo the only player left who has captained on a regular basis? Problem would be he's not on for a full game at the moment.

crangs81

Larry Dwyer (12)
Can someone please explain the logic behind staging two major test matches on at the same time? How on earth have the TV bosses let them get away with scheduling AUS v WAL on at exactly the same time as NZ v ENG?

Do they dislike money or what?
The Eng game will be on sky the Wales game will be on bbc probably.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
There's some young/talented guys that should be brought along in light of the Lions tour next year, even if they aren't going to play much on the EOYT. Not sure on the injury status of everyone, but I'd like to see guys like Mafi, Neville, Pyle, Speight, Jones, Auelua, Lucas and similar taken. Guys who aren't completely left-field, who could reasonably be expected to make the step up next year if required.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I'm assuming it'll be the usual a 36-man touring squad. I doubt that will be increased given the parlous state of the ARU coffers just now. So if any "fringe" players are going to make it, they'll need to fit within that structure. We MUST win most of these games -- that needs to be the priority.

W

What2040

I reckon for the tour, they should pick a young guy to be mentored into captaincy over the next 3 / 4 years. Really don't believe Poey is the answer at all - FFS his shit decision lost us the Scottish Test - and don't like Genia in that role (think he blames everyone else for everything including when he plays badly) Maybe Beale, Higgers ( but seems to have a regular back problem) kepu, slipper, hooper a chance long term. JOC (James O'Connor) too interested in Brand O'Connor - Think Moore Robbo, TPN wont be around in a few years time so should's be considered for long term role.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
If moore is fit for the tour I'd make him captain and leave sharpe behind for the end of year tour.

Australia needs to be prepared for the reality that we might have to play the lions without sharpe and Horwil.

I think the only reason deans kept sharpe in the team instead of picking new locks like the all black and springboks have, is because he was under so much pressure to win in order to keep his job. By keeping sharpe around I think deans had delayed the inevitable, and every games he keeps him going is just going to make it harder for the bloke who replaces him to be ready for the lions tour.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Let the man retire and give the young guys a shot, sink or swim and see who is up for the challange of test match rugby going forward.

I hope Sharpie just says sorry, that's it before the Brisbane test so he can have the fitting send off he deserves in his last test on home soil.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'd like to see sharpe tour. As others have pointed out, it is important that we maintain good results over the next 2 months (with the world cup draw in December) and we are in a very unfortunate position in terms of a lack of leadership due to injuries. In the circumstances it would be good to have him on board. We have plenty of time to blood more locks before the next world cup. With all that said I'd like to see us take some young locks up north and rotate them.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We're in the difficult position that we're building for the Lions tour next year but also have to do our best to retain our number 2 ranking for the RWC seeding which is determined after our next five tests.

Focusing on option one would suggest that you leave Sharpe at home.

Focusing on option two, you would take him every time.

If Genia, Horwill or Pocock were 100% healthy I wouldn't take Sharpe and let him retire, but given the circumstances I think it is absolutely the right move to ask him to play.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
What happens to our ranking if we lose the next five tests? What happens if we only win two of them?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Sharpe should just go around for one more year end it all with a lions tour and a Force Super Rugby Championship:cool: .i can dream cant i.

You can.....

Nathan Sharpe asked to prolong farewell
NATHAN Sharpe has been asked to shelve his retirement plans one more time to lead the Wallabies on their end-of-year trip to Europe next month. Wallabies coach Robbie Deans and ARU chief executive John O'Neill have asked Sharpe to continue his triumphant farewell tour.

Sharpe's leadership of the Wallabies in the absence of injured captains James Horwill, David Pocock and Will Genia has been remarkable. Even if Horwill and Pocock recovered from their injuries to make the tour, they might not have enough match fitness to start in the Tests against France, England, Italy and Wales, which means Sharpe would probably retain the captaincy.

Ironically, Deans and Sharpe have not always seen eye to eye, but they have forged a wonderful coach-captain partnership.

...... The Wallabies were soundly beaten by the Springboks in Pretoria, but their 25-19 win over Argentina in Rosario last Sunday was one of the most courageous by any Australian team. The injury-ravaged Wallabies had made a gruelling 20-hour trek from Johannesburg to Rosario to play a formidable opponent in an hostile environment where Australian teams had been ambushed in the past.

Yet they prevailed and Sharpe played a big part in the victory with his outstanding leadership and general play.
Read more: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...prolong-farewell/story-e6frg7o6-1226492365358

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
FFS, Robbie has spent his 5 year tenure focusing on blooding young players. Surely at this stage we would support a guy who is still the best fit option in his position go on tour and we can reap some reward from his experience.

This fascination with youth has so far gotten us no where. Time to use the blokes we have.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
FFS, Robbie has spent his 5 year tenure focusing on blooding young players. Surely at this stage we would support a guy who is still the best fit option in his position go on tour and we can reap some reward from his experience.

This fascination with youth has so far gotten us no where. Time to use the blokes we have.

But the problem we face is that we either have to blood these guys now, or during the Lions' series.........

It's a tough decision, but will most likely be determined on who will be available to tour as we can't go over there with our 5th captain.........

We need to at least get someone groomed to take over the lineout commands

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Winning games and coming 2nd in the IRB Rankings is much more important. It gives us the best oppourtunity of winning the RWC.

The Lions is a huge unknown no matter what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.