• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England at the Rugby World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassius88

Sydney Middleton (9)
Tuilagi scores a try against each of Wales and Ireland, two teams that are not known for particularly physical backline defence, and all of a sudden he's England's great hope for the RWC. I've been talking down the hype ever since he was described as the next SBW (http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...bill-says-jonny-wilkinson-20110904-1jsno.html). There are few people who like SBW less than me, but even I can see that where SBW has incredible athleticism and ball skills, Tuilagi is just another big bullocking runner who hasn't been tested against the better sides; Argentina had no trouble with him whatsoever, as he was wrapped up and brought to ground with apparent ease every time he took the ball at full speed. I'll be interested to see him running into Nonu/SBW or even McCabe/Ant.

T

TheNextBigThing

England should be talking up tuilangi all they can. With the speed out wide, the best thing that could happen for England is for teams to focus on the mid-field channel and leave space at the fringes.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Have to disagree with uck, I think Lawes has huge potential, stood out a mile to me. He has screwed up royally with the knee, be lucky to get away with a 2 match suspension, but up with Warburton for me as impressive players. Assuming he learns a hard lesson fast he's a real threat in my view, reminiscent of Vickerman or Matfield, but more speed. My only caveat is his scrummaging, as I freely admit I have no clue how much he offers there other than strength and will.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
He did get a 2 game suspension and it serves him right.

Wouldn't compare him with Vickerman at all. Lawes is a skills around the park lock like the young Matfield or young Eales. Vickerman is a power lock like Brad Thorn but is also an elite lineout guy. Vickers couldn't get back into a defensive line as quickly as Lawes or run with the ball like him, nor could Lawes run into folks whether he had the ball or they did, like Vickers.

Different players.

S

saulih

Courtney Lawes out for two weeks

Lawes is out for two games...
England's Lawes suspended for two matches
(Rugby News Service) Tuesday 13 September 2011

Lawes has been suspended for two weeks
AUCKLAND, 13 Sept. - Courtney Lawes (England) has been suspended for two weeks (two matches) after being found guilty of recklessly striking an opponent with his knee.
Following a review of broadcast footage, Lawes was cited by Independent Citing Commissioner Murray Whyte (Ireland) under Law 10.4(a) for striking Mario Ledesma with the knee in the Rugby World Cup 2011 Pool B match against Argentina in Dunedin on September 10.
Lawes, who pleaded not guilty, was suspended by Independent Judicial Officer Terry Willis (Australia) in accordance with the Rugby World Cup 2011 Disciplinary process.
Having conducted a detailed review of all the evidence available, including all broadcast angles and additional evidence from the Player and submissions from his Counsel, Richard Smith QC (Quade Cooper), the Judicial Officer upheld the Citing on the basis that the Player had committed an act of foul play.
With respect to the sanction, the offence was deemed to be Low-End (which has an entry point of three weeks). However, taking into account mitigating factors being his excellent disciplinary record and remorse and the absence of aggravating factors, the Player was suspended for two weeks.
In the context of the Rugby World Cup Tournament a week equates to one match. Therefore Lawes is suspended for two Rugby World Cup 2011 matches and is free to resume playing for England’s Pool B match against Scotland in Auckland on October 1.
The player has 48 hours in which to appeal from the time the full written decision is made available to him.
RWCL

During the game I thought he played like a dirty Saffa, but on review this incident didn't look as bad as I remember... maybe a little hard done by.

The decision if upheld - presuming he appeals - would put him out for two minnow games - Georgia and Romania.

lonhro10

Frank Nicholson (4)
2 weeks for a 'low end' offence seems excessive.

If Quade pops another knee on Ritchie in the final I wonder if that carries over to the 2015 WC!!

S

saulih

Courtney Lawes out for two games

...oops edit that... the title should be two games... not two weeks...

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Sheridan out of RWC. He's not a major threat, but it will help us win a semi-final against them.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
I do not see Sheridan's loss as that significant if England pursue a wider game playing with an athletic pack. Sheridan is a good driving forward but lacks the mobility to fully complement that wider game. Stephens is a more versatile prop and scrummager, although not as powerful. For me a more critical selection is Deacon vs Palmer and Wilkinson vs Flood.

Lawes is a magnificent athlete who generates great leverage and hits like a truck. Echoing for Lee Grant has said, he has the speed and stamina to get into good positions and has that tremendous lateral movement to fill defensive holes that other locks simply cannot. He is a lock for selection (enjoy the pun), but who joins him?

Deacon is a grunt, a very good grunt and harkens back to the days when Wells had a greater influence on selection that Brian Smith. If England choose to play a tighter, driving & mauling game then Deacon's selection will be a strong clue. Palmer will give England a more mobile front five capable of footing it with the best.

England have not suffered from a lack of ball, but an inability to generate and use good fast ball effectively. The primary deficiency has been one of selection where Brian Smith's higher tempo full width of the field aspirations have been suffocated by Wells/Johnson selection preferences. Johnson changed his orientation following England's June 2010 tour when it was evident that the law interpretations at Test level strongly favored a ball in hand approach and that possession trumped territory every time.

With law interpretations no longer so clear cut, the direction and decision making from 10,12 have been critical. Here England have not fared well. Johnson has not persisted with Flood after a few less than stellar performances, but he had been solid in big tests when Smith got his wider game plan. Wilkinson just plays a more ball control game than the one favored by Smith. However, form is critical and Wilkinson was adjudge to have it more so than Flood. but does it reveal that Johnson has shifted his orientation again to a more conservative game plan? For me, Deacon is the clue.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
What's the process for deciding if England get to pretend to be the darkness again when they play Georgia?

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
He did get a 2 game suspension and it serves him right.

Wouldn't compare him with Vickerman at all. Lawes is a skills around the park lock like the young Matfield or young Eales. Vickerman is a power lock like Brad Thorn but is also an elite lineout guy.

Different players.

I hear you Lee. My intended comparison was of attitude and power, qualities I see in Matfield and Vickerman. Lawes has attitude, power but also speed. A compelling combination that will take him far I believe.

Eales, different attributes altogether, silky skills and a psychic reader of the game was how I saw him, rather than exceptionally powerful or hard. Or even fast really.

S

saulih

What the hell is up with the English jersies? and I don't mean the color... the numbers. They look like they are either designed to look like they are half peeled off, or they ARE half peeled off. What the hell?!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I hear you Lee. My intended comparison was of attitude and power, qualities I see in Matfield and Vickerman. Lawes has attitude, power but also speed. A compelling combination that will take him far I believe.

Eales, different attributes altogether, silky skills and a psychic reader of the game was how I saw him, rather than exceptionally powerful or hard. Or even fast really.

Fair enough. The young Eales could shift though. Watch the 1991 RWC Final again.

Storm in a teacup Part 23 - From AFP

QUEENSTOWN: England chiefs defended centre Mike Tindall following allegations he'd behaved inappropriately on a night out during the World Cup in New Zealand.

The UK Sun tabloid reported today that Tindall, who recently married Zara Phillips, granddaughter of Britain's Queen Elizabeth II, had "kissed and groped" a blonde while watching a dwarf-throwing contest.

It further alleged he'd buried his head in her breasts as England enjoyed a night out in a Queenstown bar following their victory over Argentina in their opening World Cup match.

However, an England spokesman, in a Rugby Football Union statement issued here today, defended the conduct of Tindall, England's captain against the Pumas, by saying: "Mike and several of the players were enjoying an evening out after he had led the team to a hard-earned victory over Argentina.

"Like all the lads he plays for England with a massive amount of passion and he was relaxing after a tough match."

The RFU statement added there would be no further comment.

Fair enough too. Who can put their hand on their heart and say that they haven't rubbed their face into the tits of a blonde at a dwarf throwing contest?

Besides, he could argue that he was trying to straighten his nose.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Apparently there wasn't even any dwarf throwing.

Photos of the Mad Midget Weekender: Leprechaun Wars can be found here.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150303972038129.336785.127717243128&type=1

318551_10150303973108129_127717243128_8133324_742106171_n.jpg

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
"The UK Sun tabloid reported today that Tindall, who recently married Zara Phillips, granddaughter of Britain's Queen Elizabeth II, had "kissed and groped" a blonde while watching a dwarf-throwing contest.

It further alleged he'd buried his head in her breasts as England enjoyed a night out in a Queenstown bar following their victory over Argentina in their opening World Cup match."

Who can put their hand on their heart and say that they haven't rubbed their face into the tits of a blonde at a dwarf throwing contest?

Besides, he could argue that he was trying to straighten his nose.

Material for the Lee Grant anthology is accumulating so fast we'll soon be ready to approach a publisher.

B

Blackjack

Tindall seriously messed up....

The brunette clearly has better ta-tas

Status
Not open for further replies.