• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v Australia, Saturday 3 December

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rip 'em a new one

Bob McCowan (2)
Though they both have kicked away possession in the dieing moments when we needed points.

I understand the enthusiasm for Genia, but personally I really like Phipps in this run on. Concern over "his antics" are overblown, his speed on delivery is recognised, his accuracy isnt the isdue that some think though it helps to have some handling skills when you are playing fast ball, and he has far fewer sidesteps on delivery.

The boy will do all right.

Totally agree. For mine what we gain in line speed is a tasty prospect. He gives good go forward. Genia is class and always feels safe, but I do love the mayhem our forwards can create with the increased speed of recycle that Phipps seems to bring. When it works, it's a thing of beauty. I'm prepared to cop a few errors along the way with that.

The problem with Phipps' game has been when he runs out of puff. We need a good option to provide that same speed during the last 20 minutes. Frisby doesn't fill me with huge confidence though, given what we've seen on tour so far. Not sure who else does...

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
My problem with Phipps's game, amongst others of course, is the complete lack of a running threat. This allows defensive limes to slide easily off him to tje outside men effectively giving the opposition an extra guy in defence. Add an inaccurate pass and the brain snaps and you have a significantly inferior player to Genia. Still our second best halfback.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

K

KAOPointman

Man our backline absolutely carved the Irish up when they FINALLY got a chance to get moving. As they did to the Welsh and Scottish. Issues, as usual, are up front. Throwing Quade in will have a minimal positive or negative effect. That's it.
There is such a MASSIVE difference between relying on individual brilliance (what we're doing on attack now)....and actually having the playmaker see overlaps, set up players thru gaps and week spots and set up set plays!
I agree the forwards are our biggest issue atm........but if our attack was crisp and accurate.....our opportunities would be far often with higher success rates. Espescially with a forward pack at least holding their own!
I guess we will once again see against the poms........

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Mumm was selected over Timani for lineout ability. Cheika said that very clearly in his presser.

This assumes TGC was being completely open and honest in the press conference. Now I know he usually is and he's no Eddie, but it was a press conference and sometimes a bit of misinformation helps to sow confusion. Shag is a master at it.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
My problem with Phipps's game, amongst others of course, is the complete lack of a running threat. This allows defensive limes to slide easily off him to tje outside men effectively giving the opposition an extra guy in defence. Add an inaccurate pass and the brain snaps and you have a significantly inferior player to Genia. Still our second best halfback.

Trouble with Genia is that he doesn't snipe enough and therefore the threat of him actually doing it is compromised.

Phipps brings more spark and uses his forwards in a much better way.

His kicks just are not as shitty as genias' (box kicks)

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
There is such a MASSIVE difference between relying on individual brilliance (what we're doing on attack now)..and actually having the playmaker see overlaps, set up players thru gaps and week spots and set up set plays!
I agree the forwards are our biggest issue atm....but if our attack was crisp and accurate...our opportunities would be far often with higher success rates. Espescially with a forward pack at least holding their own!
I guess we will once again see against the poms....
So we should not rely on individual brilliance by relying on the brilliance of Cooper? The shit some people come out with on these forums.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
So we should not rely on individual brilliance by relying on the brilliance of a Cooper? The shit some people come out with on these forums.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
KAOP is basically Cooper's biggest supporter on the forums. That's neither a positive nor a negative in and of itself, but sometimes that leads to things like that, and his Quade wus robbed re: Olympic selection series of posts.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Trouble with Genia is that he doesn't snipe enough and therefore the threat of him actually doing it is compromised.

Phipps brings more spark and uses his forwards in a much better way.

His kicks just are not as shitty as genias' (box kicks)
Praising Phipps's box kicking above Genias is a mistake. They are both equal in this area. In fact I'd say Phipps gets charged down more often for less distance gained.

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
I have to admit, I didn't realise there was such animosity between super rugby sides in Australia. As a Bath fan there are English clubs I don't like, but it is still hard to argue with the inclusion of a lot of Saracens players in the England squad.

As for this test, I am worried about our backrow as an Englishman. Haskell, Robshaw and Vunipola caused you all sorts of problems in summer, and I am just not sure Wood and Hughes can do that.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Hey good post shelts, I'm a fan of objectivity.

See you all in the ungodlies.....that's if I wake up! No alarm set, record set, ill watch it whenever I wake up.

Again....wallabies by 8

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think Phipps was very good vs Wales and happy to see him start. Still hope Cooper gets some time though but even if we are 20 up or down I seriously doubt it will happen.

bshenanigan

Frank Row (1)
It has been great being able to watch the tour games on ESPN3 this season. It doesn't look like they have the England game.

Anyone know where I can watch the game in the US this morning?

If I don't find anything, I might just have to get off the couch and exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.