• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v Australia, Saturday 3 December

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
From an English perspective we need to make a decision on Ford or Farrell at 10, having both on the field doesn't benefit either IMO. Ford looks better in attack with proper running centres to give him options, but he isn't a reliable goal kicker. Farrell... well he kicks goals. Not much else but he kicks goals! Bit like an English Halfpenny I suppose.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
From an English perspective we need to make a decision on Ford or Farrell at 10, having both on the field doesn't benefit either IMO. Ford looks better in attack with proper running centres to give him options, but he isn't a reliable goal kicker. Farrell. well he kicks goals. Not much else but he kicks goals! Bit like an English Halfpenny I suppose.
I think They are both very average players. Without that pack they would Crumble

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

K

KAOPointman

Here's my thoughts on the refs game tonight....and as promised.....an insight to the reality of FOLEY as the wallabies key playmaker.

Marlin yardes try was 100% a knock on....despite the video Reff saying his right hand "held" the ball the whole time.
Then in the 45th and the 47thmins....two massive knock ons and and a forward pass were missed inexplicably!
67th min restart.....Reff says Hooper was sealing off despite him supporting his own weight with both hands on the player and NOT anywhere near the ground. Mays had stood up and hooper was pushing against his thighs! Tough call.
72nd min....MIND BLOwING yellow card for a millisecond late tackle on the "milking it like a hoe" Brown. Apparently "it was Clearly after the pass.... therefore a yellow card".......HUH! WOW Clearly in SLOW MO. And MAYBE a penalty at absolute maximum.
77th min Cooper strips the ball from a Pom and Reff calls it a knock on......huh(this call ended in a near Pom try again)

Foley breakdown, highs and the lows!
1st minute...foley gets the ball and goes right.....has 3 players to pass too....can't make up his mind and goes into contact and gets monstered. Lucky we had advantage.
Misses 1st kick in front
8th minute dynamic First try and the disallowed one...both had zero inclusion from foley
First 10minutes over....only one good pass from Foley...it was too hooper on the inside(not a hole)
Nope.... first 30mins with nothing but basic one off passes from foley. Still no threat at all.
Kicked one from the sideline.
33rd min......bad no look short pass in high traffic to Folou 2m from try line(lucky again had advantage)
England's 50min try off the quick tap.....foley and Phipps were defending.....Foley didn't trust Phipps on Yarde on the left and let Youngs straight in uncontested!100% bad defensive descission.
65th min try..... zero inclusion from foley. Misses conversion.
68th min deserves a mention as Quade finally gets on for more then 20secs this summer.......must have put huge pressure on Foleys as in the 79thmin.......
79th min. foley knocks on cold 1m from our line

Thought it was a much better game from the forwards. We showed heaps in the first 20mins. The poms showed heaps in the first 20 of the second half. Although that momentum was again helped largely by the Reff who made and missed some bizarre calls!
Hope my comments shed some light as to why every game I'm highly critical of Foley and his potential to be a threat as the wallabies PLAYMAKER!

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
I think They are both very average players. Without that pack they would Crumble

I would hardly say the English pack is the best going... Irish and Kiwi ones are probably easier to play behind. But hey.... they have the English pack to play behind and that appears to be enough for them to be winning games. I'm just not sold on Farrell as a 12.

K

KAOPointman

KAOP is basically Cooper's biggest supporter on the forums. That's neither a positive nor a negative in and of itself, but sometimes that leads to things like that, and his Quade wus robbed re: Olympic selection series of posts.
Mate no need for the low blows.....it's my opinion and I try to back it up with content. Facts like our miserable Olympic 7s tourney for eg. In part due to our " playmaker" in Stannard being far to old and slow to be in the worlds best teams. Not to mention the coaches much talked about agenda.
We had a FAAAR better option seeing as our No1 playmaker was injured!

K

KAOPointman

So we should not rely on individual brilliance by relying on the brilliance of Cooper? The shit some people come out with on these forums.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Mate, that's just plain insulting and arrogant!
We're talking about a "playmaker" role. So individual brilliance has far less weight in that position then the players actual ability to involve "others" with good vision, strong passing and an eye for attack.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Our discipline under Cheika is atrocious. Time for the Wallabies to reduce their over-emphasis on defensive breakdown pressure, which is one of the main sources of penalties against us. Once again our game has been exposed by a team that can effectively pin us in our own half, and wait for the inevitable mistakes/infringements.

The drivel regarding the officiating from the usual suspects is tiresome and reflects poorly on Australian fandom quite frankly. The Yarde try was fine, the DHP late tackle merited sanction albeit the YC was arguable, but the focus on these moments detract from the bigger picture, which is that we were tactically inept against England - again.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Congratulations to the poms.
However, DHP's Y/C for the tackle on the cnut was bullshit.
Phipps and Pocock - what were they thinking?
Yarde's knock-on.
The blatant forward pass by the poms.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Disappointing end to 2016 but I remain optimistic about the future. We are not far from being a very good team and 2017 will see improvement.

Adios people.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Result and margin pretty much as expected. Peyper being inconsistent - nothing new there either.

Wasn't resting 11 playing v France supposed to help us beat England and Ireland?

Our discipline is poor and the way we interact with referees is poor.

Well played England. Stop whining about 50/50 calls Wallaby fans.

I also recall after Link's departure that I suggested Eddie Jones as a possible replacement. The vast majority of posters on these thread informed me in no uncertain terms that he couldn't coach. How's that looking now boys?;)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
As bad as the ref was our biggest issue was capitulating under pressure. However a lot of it was pressure we shouldn't have been under. I'd be interested if someone has the time to actually go through and list all of Peyper's errors, for both sides. For me the biggest shocker was prior to the Pom's second last try - clear knock on at about half way and we recover the ball about 20m downfield, he lets it play a couple of phases and then gives them a scrum feed. From the ensuing play they get a penalty and score. Where the fuck was the advantage from the initial knock on?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
For me the biggest shocker was prior to the Pom's second last try - clear knock on at about half way and we recover the ball about 20m downfield, he lets it play a couple of phases and then gives them a scrum feed. From the ensuing play they get a penalty and score. Where the fuck was the advantage from the initial knock on?

If tactical or territorial advantage has expired in the ref's opinion, you're never going to win that argument.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
so was it a case of the old

the-rock-wrestlemania-32-ftr.jpg

Jaco-Peyper-009.jpg

wbkoEyU.jpg

?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ok as a supposed neutral (ok I admit I was cheering for Wobs) I would make a few points. Wallabies really seem to switch off for times during test(and I have commented before on this), I believe perhaps too many a mentally a little lazy? The Poms played bloody well,they really are looking a fairly complete team, and I do think the power of rugby maybe heading towards NH where they seem to be playing proper physical rugby.
On the HP yc, I thought pretty harsh, but as I said when he got penalised in the Bled 3 match, don't do stuff that brings the ref's decisions into the game, I didn't think it was particularly dirty, just a little hit to let Brown know he was there!

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Sorry, but I don't buy refereeing decisions as the major ingredient for this comprehensive loss. I blame the Clown's (yes I'm tagging Cheika with the new nick name as it seems to fit) inability to change his game plan, which Eddie saw a mile off and had no trouble counter playing.
Every game Cheika seems to think his BIG forwards, and his BIG backs can play the same style of rugby by having his halves passing the won ball straight out across the back line.
But where is the variation. Unfortunately Foley only looks good behind a strident forward pack, but as soon as the pack doesn't dominate, he losses his play making ability. There was absolutely no variation of play. Oh, my mistake, sorry, there was. The amazing sleight of hand to reverse pass it to an inside runner. Pity the opposition didn't fall for it.
No kicking, no dummy passes, no longer passes. His game against Wales looked good only because Wales were in their first game of the season, and there was no test pressure on Foley.
As for the match up between Phipps and the English half, Ben Youngs, the less said the better.
So how long does the Clown keep the man love with his halves. Why, even when he brings his reserve fly half on, he puts him on the wing. What an insult to Cooper.
Wasn't it Cheika who lost a game to the Springboks this season, who even the Italians were able to beat.
Cheika just doesn't have an alternative game plan, so it looks like we'll be back to the same old circus next year

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I no longer feel the same passion that I did for the Wallabies from about 2012 through to the World Cup.

Aside from the Scotland and BILs games, I loved every win, and bemoaned and got angry at every loss.

I thought it was just the Fox Sports arrogance, and a little bit of Schadenfreude based on that.

But it continued. And I think that's a combination of Cheika, Moore and a minority of very poor losers.

I'd say I was looking forward to seeing Cheika gone, but with Bernie the heir apparent, I'm not sure when it's gonna get better.

Anyways, there was a lot of Australian positives on the domestic scene this year, and that's enough to make me look forward to next year.

Shadow

Sydney Middleton (9)
Here's my thoughts on the refs game tonight..and as promised...an insight to the reality of FOLEY as the wallabies key playmaker.

Marlin yardes try was 100% a knock on..despite the video Reff saying his right hand "held" the ball the whole time.
Then in the 45th and the 47thmins..two massive knock ons and and a forward pass were missed inexplicably!
67th min restart...Reff says Hooper was sealing off despite him supporting his own weight with both hands on the player and NOT anywhere near the ground. Mays had stood up and hooper was pushing against his thighs! Tough call.
72nd min..MIND BLOwING yellow card for a millisecond late tackle on the "milking it like a hoe" Brown. Apparently "it was Clearly after the pass.. therefore a yellow card"...HUH! WOW Clearly in SLOW MO. And MAYBE a penalty at absolute maximum.
77th min Cooper strips the ball from a Pom and Reff calls it a knock on..huh(this call ended in a near Pom try again)

Foley breakdown, highs and the lows!
1st minute.foley gets the ball and goes right...has 3 players to pass too..can't make up his mind and goes into contact and gets monstered. Lucky we had advantage.
Misses 1st kick in front
8th minute dynamic First try and the disallowed one.both had zero inclusion from foley
First 10minutes over..only one good pass from Foley.it was too hooper on the inside(not a hole)
Nope.. first 30mins with nothing but basic one off passes from foley. Still no threat at all.
Kicked one from the sideline.
33rd min..bad no look short pass in high traffic to Folou 2m from try line(lucky again had advantage)
England's 50min try off the quick tap...foley and Phipps were defending...Foley didn't trust Phipps on Yarde on the left and let Youngs straight in uncontested!100% bad defensive descission.
65th min try... zero inclusion from foley. Misses conversion.
68th min deserves a mention as Quade finally gets on for more then 20secs this summer...must have put huge pressure on Foleys as in the 79thmin...
79th min. foley knocks on cold 1m from our line

Thought it was a much better game from the forwards. We showed heaps in the first 20mins. The poms showed heaps in the first 20 of the second half. Although that momentum was again helped largely by the Reff who made and missed some bizarre calls!
Hope my comments shed some light as to why every game I'm highly critical of Foley and his potential to be a threat as the wallabies PLAYMAKER!
You missed the ruck at the 70th minute where an Aust player was tipped upside down in the ruck. Last week it is a yellow card and a citing and this week play on. This phase of play led to the sin bin DHP.
Bit of a important decision not to at least penalise the England player for tipping the Aust player

Status
Not open for further replies.