• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v Australia, Saturday 3 December

Status
Not open for further replies.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think Foley is generally ok, but he suffers from a lack of legitimate options due to gaps in his skill set.

I think his running and passing game is actually pretty good, and his backup play is really good.

The lack of length *and* direction of his in play kicking game and a fairly average game sense means that the opposition are less challenged or threatened.

I honestly have no idea what Cooper is playing like, but while Larkham is running that attack like it's the early 2000's, Foley is the player I would have at 10 as he is pretty dependable and follows a plan really well.

Any single one of the oddities the wallabies are dealing with at the moment could be accounted for, but there are just so.many ofbthem it forces us to accommodate for too much. it's the most complicated team structure in the top 10 at the moment that's it's quite surprising we won as many as we did this season.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
All this whining about the refereeing on the EOYT is loser talk. Until we show we're able to stay on the right side of the ref and keep our fucking mouths shut out there, we'll never be on the right side of the 50/50 calls. I refuse to accept that we're consistently being refereed out of games. One or two here and there I can see, but not across a whole season. In every game against England this year our discipline has cost us and one or more of the following has to change: the coaches, the game plan or the players.

As far as where we at is concerned, we're clearly pretty second rate and some hard decisions are going to be needed in 2017. Cheika will have to put aside his stubbornness and ditch the dual opensides (it'll be forced on him by Pocock having a year off, thankfully) and we're also going to have to change either our defensive patterns or the personnel implementing them. You can't ship 30+ points every test to the top two sides and expect to beat them. Our attack is looking a lot better, but you can't rely on scoring 5-6 tries to make up for conceding the same all the time. I think Grey and his system have run their course and it's time for some new thinking.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Browsing ESPNs provisional stats.

Kane Douglas, 1 tackle 2 misses, and 4 runs for 2m with 2 penalties conceded stands out!

Hopefully that's just a mistake

Simmons kept his hitup stats up with 15 but a bit of a drop from his usual tackle count (5) with Timani (9) taking the position in close to the ruck
You clearly don't understand Douglas' job.

K

KAOPointman

I think Foley is generally ok, but he suffers from a lack of legitimate options due to gaps in his skill set.

I think his running and passing game is actually pretty good, and his backup play is really good.

The lack of length *and* direction of his in play kicking game and a fairly average game sense means that the opposition are less challenged or threatened.

I honestly have no idea what Cooper is playing like, but while Larkham is running that attack like it's the early 2000's, Foley is the player I would have at 10 as he is pretty dependable and follows a plan really well.

Any single one of the oddities the wallabies are dealing with at the moment could be accounted for, but there are just so.many ofbthem it forces us to accommodate for too much. it's the most complicated team structure in the top 10 at the moment that's it's quite surprising we won as many as we did this season.
How can anyone know what cooper is playing like......he's had zero game time. Even if it's not cooper....get someone else in as back up then. Imagine if Foley goes down. Then there's ZERO depth at a key position. There has been absolutely no growth in the playmaking stocks since well before the WC in Aus. And considering Foleys form....that's very weird.
And as mentioned.....if Foley n Cooper can't be discussed like grown ups....I'm sure there's a wiggles forum for those members to vacate too. Those that resort to low blows and name calling can follow them aswell. By the stats and facts....Foley should be gone.
Statistically, on averages....Foley should be the worlds 3rd best 10 if all is equal.....going by our teams 3rd ranking overall! I think he would struggle to make most of the teams in the top ten when you look at their 10s!

K

KAOPointman

So this Naivalu fella. Has he ever seen a ruck before?
I saw him have more impact at the ruck in this one game then speight has had all year. Plus he threatens on attack with his size and speed. He'll work itout more n more over time I'm sure. Not a bad intro for a winger that's for sure......

tragic

John Solomon (38)
In every game against England this year our discipline has cost us and one or more of the following has to change: the coaches, the game plan or the players.

As far as where we at is concerned, we're clearly pretty second rate and some hard decisions are going to be needed in 2017. Cheika will have to put aside his stubbornness and ditch the dual opensides (it'll be forced on him by Pocock having a year off, thankfully) .

I think all three need a change.
And I have a horrible feeling we haven't seen the end of dual opensides. Cheika had 3 last night ffs. He's a stubborn bastard and will need to get towelled a few more times before that experiments over. Reckon we'll see McMahon and Hooper being everywhere but achieving nothing for a few games at least.
And don't get me started on the halves...

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I agree. Just that Brown was so busy falling over like a pillock, it was not apparent.

DHP has now knocked over Brown and smashed Savea out of the way - in both cases it was a fucking hollywood. And WR (World Rugby) should crack down on that shit with a quickness.

Well what can they do Pfitzy, they have Yellow carded him both times, should it be red so he uses brain??;):p

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think all three need a change.
And I have a horrible feeling we haven't seen the end of dual opensides. Cheika had 3 last night ffs. He's a stubborn bastard and will need to get towelled a few more times before that experiments over. Reckon we'll see McMahon and Hooper being everywhere but achieving nothing for a few games at least.
And don't get me started on the halves.
Yes but we don't need to throw the baby out with the bath water. All three just need some tinkering.

Unfortunately most of the players that people whinge about are the best available options. Sure, some of the potential successors need to be developed but is test rugby the place to do that?

I'd like to see Moore retire from internationals. He's been a great asset for us but time's up. No idea what the best solution for 6 is, maybe Timani there and Holloway at 8? 9 & 10 I can't see who is putting their hand for immediate selection so we are probably looking at development options. I'd persist with Hodge, maybe K2 might get a rebirth next year though. And we are still working out who is the best option for 11.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Why was there no spider cam shots last night?

We know Twickersis capable of supporting spidercam technology.

We know that the England RU has plenty of money to rent spidercam.

Are they worried about the general public getting to see the angles of the props?

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I would hardly say the English pack is the best going. Irish and Kiwi ones are probably easier to play behind. But hey.. they have the English pack to play behind and that appears to be enough for them to be winning games. I'm just not sold on Farrell as a 12.
Irish pack is probably number 1 tbh. English and kiwi equal second. Kiwi backs are miles ahead of the Irish and English backs.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
MOTM performance from Shiggins. He just went out there and played his usual game and, really, that was all he had to do.

Contender for Try Of The Year here:

revolvingface.gif
Cheers bokke. I don't even understand what I said myself. Hahaha

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It's going to be hard to pick 3-2-1s for this shit show.

Naivalu, Hooper and perhaps Timani the best of a bad bunch.
Yep I turned the tv off at 74 minutes as the 'wollobies' have shown they are not one of the top 2 sides in the world. England were not really that amazing but rather we were just rather shite for the entire second half that even Italy would have beaten us in that second half.

That game raised more questions than answers imo

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
Irish pack is probably number 1 tbh. English and kiwi equal second. Kiwi backs are miles ahead of the Irish and English backs.

Kiwi backs are easily the best in the world, no contest. I reckon their pack would get the wood on the English one at the moment. Not much in the tight 5, but their backrow is clearly better.

Status
Not open for further replies.