• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v Australia, Saturday 3 December

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertyw

Frank Row (1)
Once again it BLOwS me away that with all these rugby brains on here..we never hear about how Foley does when he has a bad game. 2 maybe 3 people have mentioned it. Perhaps a nod to the higher amount of Tahs supporters I don't know.
If you noticed in my previous post..I listed Foleys notable moments in this game..and it was absolutely horrid. AGAIN! I'm a backs guy so my attention always is on the backs. For me as long as the forwards are aggressive accurate and always moving I'm happy. But the backs I'm very interested in.
As far as I'm concerned a back needs to be an IMPACT player. Folou has that in spades, Naivalu has speed, DHP has speed strength and skill as do Reece and Tevita to a lesser degree being centres! Our 9 is ongoing work but for some reason our 10 is set in stone!
Foley at 10 is sooooo mind numbingly inept at attacking it puts tears in my eyes. That whole game he did TWO things right. TWO things...a kick from the sideline and a ok inside short pass to a player who wasn't in a hole anyway.
I watch rugby for the tries, the running and the dynamic rugby! As a wallaby diehard it boggles my brain that Foley in his current form that has lasted all year bar one game..can still be our undisputed 10...to the point that our backup 10 in cooper does t even get on the field.
THATS the biggest issue in the wallaby team for me.
Despite what some have said.the scrum held its fair share v the poms, as did the line out.
And there was very little, if any at all player whinging at the Reff either, despite what many on here are saying.
For me all the wallabies need is a new Playmaker to link all our amazing backs..and we desperately need world rugby to sort these Reffs out. It's not an excuse...it's a fact. A well documented one!

I must say as a former back and Longstanding NewsouthWelshman I completely agree with this post. We see no direction coming from our no 10 we have a helter-skelter a game plan just charging like a chicken with its head cut off. I love this when when it's firing, like the effort leading up to the Keli try and that, we can score tries like our backlines effort in Ireland, but can somebody in the team stand up and think before we go one way or the other. Can someone, other than DHP think let's kick it down into a corner and put some pressure on the oposition. And (warning - all caps coming up) PLEASE STOP GIVING THE BALL TO FOLEY WHEN WE NEED TO CLEAR OUR 22). If Cheika is so set on Mr Foley perhaps he could play scrumhalf.

T

TOCC

There's nothing to be said which hasn't already been said throughout this season unfortunately, it's been a difficult year to support the Wallabies, seemingly struggling to learn from their mistakes.. onward and upward to 2017

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
What's with all These lying pricks saying yard didn't lose the ball forward

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Once again it BLOwS me away that with all these rugby brains on here..we never hear about how Foley does when he has a bad game. 2 maybe 3 people have mentioned it. Perhaps a nod to the higher amount of Tahs supporters I don't know.
If you noticed in my previous post..I listed Foleys notable moments in this game..and it was absolutely horrid. AGAIN! I'm a backs guy so my attention always is on the backs. For me as long as the forwards are aggressive accurate and always moving I'm happy. But the backs I'm very interested in.
As far as I'm concerned a back needs to be an IMPACT player. Folou has that in spades, Naivalu has speed, DHP has speed strength and skill as do Reece and Tevita to a lesser degree being centres! Our 9 is ongoing work but for some reason our 10 is set in stone!
Foley at 10 is sooooo mind numbingly inept at attacking it puts tears in my eyes. That whole game he did TWO things right. TWO things...a kick from the sideline and a ok inside short pass to a player who wasn't in a hole anyway.
I watch rugby for the tries, the running and the dynamic rugby! As a wallaby diehard it boggles my brain that Foley in his current form that has lasted all year bar one game..can still be our undisputed 10...to the point that our backup 10 in cooper does t even get on the field.
THATS the biggest issue in the wallaby team for me.
Despite what some have said.the scrum held its fair share v the poms, as did the line out.
And there was very little, if any at all player whinging at the Reff either, despite what many on here are saying.
For me all the wallabies need is a new Playmaker to link all our amazing backs..and we desperately need world rugby to sort these Reffs out. It's not an excuse...it's a fact. A well documented one!
I don't reckon foley was that far off what people see as a good game for him. He's pedestrian.
I think hodge bombed one in that he need to straighten a fraction more and pass.
Folau bombed one and showed on the Phipps fucked up pass that he will not commit to loose pill - second week in a row. As far as I could see he did SFA the rest of the time. What they pay him and what he does is a scandal.
The coach and team need a week in the hall of mirrors and to stop blaming others: GGR will raise all possible issues of maladminstration by officials.
The players and coach need to play and coach.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^^There were 3 cardinal errors in that try that you wouldn't expect at under 11s.

Phipps running sideways and diagonally backwards and throwing a pass when about to be tackles, Kepu for shovelling on the ball to no one in particular when it was the only thing that he shouldn't have done and then Folau not diving on the loose ball.

The day to day performances are down to the coach and the players, but until a way is found to increase the number of kids playing 15 a side club rugby then we need to adjust our expectations - that part of the equation is down to the administrators. And there will be a lengthy time lag between any junior expansion and Wallaby success.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think chuckles needs to revisit the idea of parachuting blokes in for tests.
It must undermine team morale - even if blokes say it doesn't.
It is also a symptom of ingrained and predertimined attitudes and short sighted.
Posters will pick me up on availability issues but Genia should have been struck from the tour if he wasn't available for all tests and stirzaker or one or other of the brumbies 9s given a look in.
It's all back to the future stuff rewarding blokes who played well for him at the tahs 3 years ago (and I know that's not Genia - but is Douglas [are we still thinking those stats are wrong?] Skelton [someone cuthim in half and we might be able to make 1 decent footballer] foley, Phipps,Folau, kepu [seemed ok o me last night]

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Every game Cheika seems to think his BIG forwards, and his BIG backs can play the same style of rugby by having his halves passing the won ball straight out across the back line.
But where is the variation. Unfortunately Foley only looks good behind a strident forward pack, but as soon as the pack doesn't dominate, he losses his play making ability. There was absolutely no variation of play. Oh, my mistake, sorry, there was. The amazing sleight of hand to reverse pass it to an inside runner. Pity the opposition didn't fall for it.
No kicking, no dummy passes, no longer passes. His game against Wales looked good only because Wales were in their first game of the season, and there was no test pressure on Foley.
As for the match up between Phipps and the English half, Ben Youngs, the less said the better.
So how long does the Clown keep the man love with his halves. Why, even when he brings his reserve fly half on, he puts him on the wing. What an insult to Cooper.
Wasn't it Cheika who lost a game to the Springboks this season, who even the Italians were able to beat.
Cheika just doesn't have an alternative game plan, so it looks like we'll be back to the same old circus next year

Is Cheika-ball a variation of cement-ball?

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
MOTM performance from Shiggins. He just went out there and played his usual game and, really, that was all he had to do.

Contender for Try Of The Year here:

revolvingface.gif

Is that Tony Abbott?

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)
Good one troll. clearly knocked on I just don't understand why people are blatantly lying about it

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

he regained possession with the right hand before the ball hit the ground, then grounded it = try

Doyou actually enjoy watchin rugby? Every game thread it's you frothing about any and all decisions that go against your team, and it's always the ref that's against you and everyone else is blind etc. Seems weid.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I've been happy to read others in the main. Disturbingly poor year.

One good from last night though, the line out worked a treat. Pocock took the first. Timani was a receiver. Simmo seemed to call Douglas as much as himself. It was nicely done bar the obligatory stuff up where no-one jumped. Otherwise good.

Reactions: SDR

A mutterer

Desmond Connor (43)
All this whining about the refereeing on the EOYT is loser talk. Until we show we're able to stay on the right side of the ref and keep our fucking mouths shut out there, we'll never be on the right side of the 50/50 calls. I refuse to accept that we're consistently being refereed out of games. One or two here and there I can see, but not across a whole season. In every game against England this year our discipline has cost us and one or more of the following has to change: the coaches, the game plan or the players.

As far as where we at is concerned, we're clearly pretty second rate and some hard decisions are going to be needed in 2017. Cheika will have to put aside his stubbornness and ditch the dual opensides (it'll be forced on him by Pocock having a year off, thankfully) and we're also going to have to change either our defensive patterns or the personnel implementing them. You can't ship 30+ points every test to the top two sides and expect to beat them. Our attack is looking a lot better, but you can't rely on scoring 5-6 tries to make up for conceding the same all the time. I think Grey and his system have run their course and it's time for some new thinking.
On mobile so can't edit properly, but I think you're wrong about dropping the double 7 strategy.

There's always McMahon ;)

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Here's my thoughts on the refs game tonight..and as promised...an insight to the reality of FOLEY as the wallabies key playmaker.

67th min restart...Reff says Hooper was sealing off despite him supporting his own weight with both hands on the player and NOT anywhere near the ground. Mays had stood up and hooper was pushing against his thighs! Tough call.

77th min Cooper strips the ball from a Pom and Reff calls it a knock on..huh(this call ended in a near Pom try again)

Couple of law clarifications for you KAO

Hooper must support his own body weight without leaning on anything hands on player or ground is the same thing (the ball is different). Easy explanation if his arms are removed with he fall forward.

WR (World Rugby) wrote clarification this year, if a strip goes forward from the stripper then it is a knock on

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Wow,

We played great in that first 20 when we had possession. Poms were shocked.

Poms got composure back and just started to take us to pieces.

Scrum went well initially but then the Poms got really on top of us in the third quarter with a couple of penalties against Sio (I think).

Chek as a tactician is shit. His lack of use of the bench beggars belief.

The Pocock pass was just a fuckup. He tried something but his skillset wasn't good. Generally thought he had a good game, being everywhere.

To me DHP was the player of the EOYT. Would still think he would be a better fullback than teflon (who should move to the wing).

Status
Not open for further replies.