• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Let me add to my early comments by saying, I'm not saying Cheika shouldn't be coach or that his job is at stake if we lose on Saturday. He will take us to the world cup regardless of the results. But truthfully whatever hype was behind Cheika when he took over will have been smashed into a million pieces by Sunday morning.

I'm really hoping Cheika can turn it around next year, but I have very little faith at this stage. We've now lost 2 games on tour we should have won and I'm struggling to see what improvements have been made to the team that arguably outplayed the All Blacks back in October.

To add insult to injury, Cheika brings his best mate Beale into 23. Why? No one has a fucking clue. But Cheika seems to be using the "I'll do what I want" defence.

please excuse my lack of knowledge and understanding.
could you please explain the very last piece of your post?
i.e. against what is Michael Cheika defending himself?
what are the charges?
who is making them?

thanks a lot

T

Train Without a Station

please excuse my lack of knowledge and understanding.
could you please explain the very last piece of your post?
i.e. against what is Michael Cheika defending himself?
what are the charges?
who is making them?

thanks a lot

With regards to why Beale should have joined the touring party as an additional squad member despite no positional requirements considering the events that happened, his international form in 2014 (or 2013 or 2012 for that matter) or the fact he likely hasn't been training at the same level while he was away.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm really hoping Cheika can turn it around next year, but I have very little faith at this stage. We've now lost 2 games on tour we should have won and I'm struggling to see what improvements have been made to the team that arguably outplayed the All Blacks back in October.

To add insult to injury, Cheika brings his best mate Beale into 23. Why? No one has a fucking clue. But Cheika seems to be using the "I'll do what I want" defence.

The third Bledisloe was hardly the standard for the season though. It was almost certainly the best test we played all year and pretty much came out of the blue.

Beale shouldn't have been in the side and was clearly off with his timing. Whilst he looked fit which was good, he certainly appeared like someone who'd just joined the side. I don't really think the balance with Cooper on the bench is good for the long term. It's a very particular structure to finish the game with a really attacking set of inside backs (I'd guess that was the plan with no injuries) but it lacks flexibility. The inside line Beale runs on support is definitely something he does very well and something that Foley and Cooper should be able to capitalise well on in the future (as they've done in the past). If Beale keeps his bench spot against England, hopefully the timing and combinations will be much better after an extra week in training.

T

Train Without a Station

Why don't you just say;
"I don't like Cheika, anything he does or says, or any decision he makes"
It would save a lot of space on here.

Because that's not nearly what he has said. He has made a comment about the massive hype coming out of the Sydney media, then about a particular decision which most would agree would cause problems.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Cheika has been forced to defend a controversial decision to select Beale in circumstances where he had plenty of able willing guys on tour. His justification seems to be "it's my team and I'll do what I think is best". If you ask me there was no good reason to justify his inclusion. Not his recent form, nor his recent behaviour, nor out of necessity.

T

Train Without a Station

The third Bledisloe was hardly the standard for the season though. It was almost certainly the best test we played all year and pretty much came out of the blue.

Really? Because the Wallabies easily disposed of France, had a hard fought draw with the All Blacks, defeated the Springboks, had troubles with execution and defeated Argentina, were quite just as good as the Brisbane Bledisloe for 70 minutes against the Boks in Capetown and then lost a close contest in a massively disrupted week prior to Brisbane.

The only time they ever looked off the pace was in Auckland. I'd argue it didn't really come out of the blue. A single bad loss had people paint all close victories and all close losses against the top 2 teams as failures.

D

daz

Beating Wales and England in their backyard's a year before the WC would be considered a huge success given the limited prep.

I think we'll get smashed however which is no reflection on Cheika's ability. The whole tour was a write-off, I'm pretty happy with 1 win.

Yeah, I think your post is pretty well spot on, and I am thinking the same thoughts.

Losing to the Poms would be a personal kick in the guts, but if losing to them gives them a false sense of security for the RWC, and/or means we are better placed to get the choccy's next year, then I'll just have to live with the short term pain.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Qwerty its incredible that you would be happy with 1 out of 4 wins on tour

I'm a realist, they've already exceeded my expectations, certainly didn't think we'd get close to Ireland and France.

If the ARU wanted wins they wouldn't whore the team out for a 15 Test season again.

D

daz

Given the last minute coaching change, squad issues and general negativity and rudderless leadership surrounding the team leading into departure, I find it incredible you expect so much more of the EOYT.

No-one is saying we are happy with the result. What we are saying is that there may be factors and mitigating circumstances that have given us this result.

Why don't we just call the EOYT what it really is; a development/housewarming/speed dating tour.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Would you not agree that given the circumstances, winning two of the four tests would be a successful tour?

People's expectations of the EOYT don't seem to match reality in many ways.

I don't see how in any situation, last year's EOYT can't be considered a big success winning three of the four tests.

If we win two of the four tests it's pretty much average and would be a good result considering the situation.

I agree that 1 out of 4 from the tests isn't a good result, but it's hardly awful.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Upside is that the Wallabies might be able to develop a "siege mentality".
This happens a lot in rugby league around SOO time but seems lacking in rugby.
There's our 2015 RWC strategy - a siege mentality.

We've been there and you really don't want to do that. The environment within the camp becomes completely toxic and the press constantly comes after coaches and players til they have jack of it and go off to ply their skills elsewhere. As a minority sport, it's not what you want.

Reactions: daz
T

Train Without a Station

Would you not agree that given the circumstances, winning two of the four tests would be a successful tour?

People's expectations of the EOYT don't seem to match reality in many ways.

I don't see how in any situation, last year's EOYT can't be considered a big success winning three of the four tests.

If we win two of the four tests it's pretty much average and would be a good result considering the situation.

I agree that 1 out of 4 from the tests isn't a good result, but it's hardly awful.

I think people considered 4 out of 5 (It was a 5 test tour) to be a pass mark as 2 of the games were Italy and Scotland.

Based on the circumstances 2 out of 4 could have been considered a success. Poor preparation, experimenting for 2015, etc. But with what was predicted to be the toughest game of the tour coming out, no new combos or key positional changes tested and only 1 win against a team that Australia has defeated the last 9 test matches, what has Australia taken out of it? Their ranking and confidence has taken a beating and you can't say anything new has been developed for the next season.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Let's look at Link's first 3 matches shall we..

Yes they were against NZ and SA but 2 matches were also at home.

29-47
16-27
12-38

Average of 37 points given up, I've seen enough already to know Cheika is on the right path. I've really liked the aggressive defence - which I think was desperate needed, too often the Wallabies have been passive in defence in the past. We're scoring tries too, at least 2 at match.

I really don't think the squad will have confidence hit at all, do you really think the team didn't think they could beat Ireland? For the majority of the match they outplayed Ireland apart from some key mistakes. Same too France. They won't be concerned at all. Plus I like how it's been a dress rehearsal for the WC. 2 of the same teams (maybe more later), 5 weeks, UK, 5 Tests in a row, same training, same media etc.

This is ignoring his missing squad too. Moore, TPN, Fardy, Higginbotham, Palu. He's had to with McMahon and Jones (who haven't looked up to it) and Fainga'a/McCalman (and they're in career best form, Cheika deserves some credit for them given their past under Deans/Link). More than happy how the pack held up with what we've got.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Really odd when you look at it: Our last 3 coaches making noticeably oddball calls - JOC (James O'Connor) at 10; KB (Kurtley Beale) at 10; and KB (Kurtley Beale) 'must' be in the side somewhere, at all costs.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Cheika claimed the team less than 5 weeks ago.

Obviously everyone has different opinions on who are the best Hookers, Props, Locks, Back Rowers, Halves, Centers and Wingers. The team on tour is not the strongest, not everyone is fit or available, blah, blah, blah, blah.

At a minimum, of the players not available/on Tour, Moore, TPN, Sio, Fardy, Higginbotham, Pocock, Palu, Gill, O'Connor and Hunt will be considered, fitness permitting.

Then others, such as T. Smith, PAE, Weeks, Cummins, Neville, Mogg (hahaha), Cowan, Charles et al may be bolters, depending on Soup form, injuries and eligibility.

Come September, the Wallaby team to play England should be more than a bit stronger than the one out there today. I don't think England have more than a handful to get back, all they really can do is improve combinations (note: I don't rate Billy V. At all.)

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
We've been there and you really don't want to do that. The environment within the camp becomes completely toxic and the press constantly comes after coaches and players til they have jack of it and go off to ply their skills elsewhere. As a minority sport, it's not what you want.

A joke boyo, a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.